0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 02:50 pm

religion is always a psychological problem
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
IMO "religion" and "science" are both concerned with attempts at prediction and control, the foundations of what we call "understanding"." Theistic religion" merely delegates "overall control" to "a deity". "Faith" amounts to entrenchment in such a control scenario.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
word, Aristotle-scientific understanding?
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:16 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

IMO "religion" and "science" are both concerned with attempts at prediction and control, the foundations of what we call "understanding"." Theistic religion" merely delegates "overall control" to "a deity". "Faith" amounts to entrenchment in such a control scenario.

what does religion predict ?

science is about an understanding , in depth , of the material world

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:18 pm
@fresco,
Maybe be you are right! maybe I am wrong but what I see science doing is asking what, why, where and how come. I am sure there is way more to it than that, it was what I came up with first.

I can not speak for everyone but I do not want to control others or things I just would like to have a better understanding of them. If I have delusional thoughts I would like to know why I have them, where do they come from, what do they mean to my understanding of things, how and if they do hinder my ability to think or reason?
north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Maybe be you are right! maybe I am wrong but what I see science doing is asking what, why, where and how come. I am sure there is way more to it than that, it was what I came up with first.

I can not speak for everyone but I do not want to control others or things I just would like to have a better understanding of them. If I have delusional thoughts I would like to know why I have them, where do they come from, what do they mean to my understanding of things, how and if they do hinder my ability to think or reason?

of which religion has nothing to offer
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:35 pm
@north,
The central prediction of religion is "an afterlife".
Lyric Dreamer

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
I find religions can be alternative collective of egos in respect of how wars started carelessly and thoughtlessly. Some good educations from religions when the balance is carefully achieved.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:38 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The central prediction of religion is "an afterlife".

this is not a perdiction but the understanding of the consequence of life energy , which is obvious really
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:57 pm
@north,
Quote:
this is not a perdiction but the understanding of the consequence of life energy , which is obvious really
Confused

I think you've lost a few of us there!
north

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:07 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
Confused

I think you've lost a few of us there!

perhaps

just think about it , otherwise give me questions if you need to
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:57 pm
@north,
I reject a concept of "life energy" (vitalism ?) but whatever you mean by that and its relationship to "an afterlife", your word "consequence" implies nothing more nor less than a prediction.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:06 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I reject a concept of "life energy" (vitalism ?) but whatever you mean by that and its relationship to "an afterlife", your word "consequence" implies nothing more nor less than a prediction.

Do you also reject a afterlife?
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
On the basis of what is usually accepted as evidence..of course !
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:14 pm
@fresco,
I just am not completely sure about you. You seem to be a atheist is this true and if not what are you?
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes I am an atheist, but one who sees "existence" to be equivalent to "relationship between concepts". Thus "me the atheist" has a negative relationship with"a God concept". Concepts and their relationships are encapsulated in "language" which is the socially negotiated currency of our "mental life". This provides the shifting focus of how we make sense of "the world". i.e. "rationality".

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

What is your opinion about this matter?
What if we were to start first by asking something like, 'Is believing in something that may not be so a psychological problem?'.
kuvasz

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:35 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't consider adherence or belief to any particular religion a pyschological problem because all religions stem from the drive of human sentience to make meaning of the world and the place of the sentient being in it.

I stated this earlier on another thread, it remains apropos:

While religions may have different inflections, viz., Bastian’s Volkergedanke, due to the cultures and environments from which they arise, and is the basis for criticism of religion as qua “group think,” the basic psychological structures of religions arise from the universal experiences of the human condition; sentience the most, and is aligned closely with the idea of self-image.

To reiterate:

The four functions of religion:
1. Mystical – realizing the wonder of the universe, awe before the mystery
2. Cosmological – a picture of the universe (e.g., Hebrew worldview).
3. Sociological – supports and validates a particular social order.
4. Pedagogical – how to live a human life.

The struggle inside every sentient person can be resolved by the answers religion gives to the four functions listed above; the critical word being "can be." That does not mean "will be," as history shows.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:21 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
I don't consider adherence or belief to any particular religion a pyschological problem because all religions stem from the drive of human sentience to make meaning of the world and the place of the sentient being in it.

I stated this earlier on another thread, it remains apropos:

While religions may have different inflections, viz., Bastian’s Volkergedanke, due to the cultures and environments from which they arise, and is the basis for criticism of religion as qua “group think,” the basic psychological structures of religions arise from the universal experiences of the human condition; sentience the most, and is aligned closely with the idea of self-image.

To reiterate:

The four functions of religion:
2. Cosmological – a picture of the universe (e.g., Hebrew worldview).
3. Sociological – supports and validates a particular social order.
4. Pedagogical – how to live a human life.

The struggle inside every sentient person can be resolved by the answers religion gives to the four functions listed above; the critical word being "can be." That does not mean "will be," as history shows.

Very interesting. Does everyone agree with these four points?

The point I am most interested in is:
Quote:

Do you have examples of practices which engage this?
0 Replies