Underage smoking, what happens?

Jaii

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 12:24 am
I know full well that you are not aloud to buy tobacco but i have not heard of any law or anything regarding smokking the stuff.

What accualy happends if your on the high street and the police see you smkoing, not drugs or anythin, just normal cigs? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,033 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 12:39 am
That's a good question. I saw a bunch of little boys smoking when I was walking down the high street - I'd say the youngest was about seven. Me being me, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I said, 'Oh that's not a very good thing for you to be doing,' and they started laughing and one said as I walked away, 'Don't be silly - don't be a willy...'
I couldn't help but laugh- about their rhyme- not their smoking.
They were doing it right out in front of everyone though and didn't make any attempt to hide it from anyone. It would seem to me that the people who sell the cigarettes to underage kids get in trouble moreso than the kids who smoke them do.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 12:56 am
What jaii fails to understand (as do many people on the web) is that the people reading the question do not only live in his country (whichever that is!) but all over the world, and different countries have different laws. Egypt allows smoking at any age. Even within one country, the USA, different States have different laws. All 50 States forbid underage purchase, although the ages are different in some places. However the ban only concerns purchase, not posession or use. One state (Mass) allows adults to give cigarettes to underage persons.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 08:43 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

What jaii fails to understand (as do many people on the web) is that the people reading the question do not only live in his country (whichever that is!) ...

The UK.

Jaii wrote:
What accualy happends if your on the high street...

Dead giveaway.
contrex

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:56 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

contrex wrote:

What jaii fails to understand (as do many people on the web) is that the people reading the question do not only live in his country (whichever that is!) ...

The UK.

Jaii wrote:
What accualy happends if your on the high street...

Dead giveaway.

I thought that at first, but decided that his spelling is so awful he couldn't possibly have gone to school in Britain. He must be some kind of foreigner who possibly learned English from the BBC or something, and thinks that "high street" means "the street". I am not being entirely serious by the way. Anyhow, I felt he needed rebuking for not specifying his country of residence.

0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 05:32 am
@Jaii,
Depends on the officer and how bored he or she is, and whether they actively smoke, are ex-smokers, and how militant they are about it. Smile My mom for instance is an ex-smoker and anti-smoking fascist. Smile I'm an ex-cig smoker and current pipe afficiando and started smoking well below the age you're allowed to buy them. I wouldn't look twice at someone obviously underage smoking.

More you try and forbid and control things like that the more illicit and attractive you make them. No kid ever didn't do something they wanted to because some adult told them not to. Bit of a Catch-22, but kids usually do exactly what they've been told not to. Dunno why, just one of those things. Unfortunately, reverse psychology doesn't seem to work and it's just the sort of thing you have to put up with until they're older and making better decisions.
0 Replies