Why is Nascar so popular?

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:23 am
Have you ever owned or drove a racing car?

http://www.nascar.com/kyn/history/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,361 • Replies: 16
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 11:57 am
It isn't "popular" where I come from, in fact most people have never heard of it, except the people with subscriptions to US TV sports channels.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:10 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Car racing has gained in global esteem in the last ten years thanks to the achievements of drivers such as Richard Petty and the induction and glorification of progressive female drivers such as Danica Patrick.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:44 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
In my opinion, Nascar is a sport that gives pride to those that follow it. Similar to those who play polo, and how it defines and gives pride to their social position, I believe Nascar helps define and gives pride to the social position to many that enjoy it. Meaning, if one lives in certain regions of the U.S., identifies with certain political platforms, values certain social mores, then Nascar may be just part and parcel of that identify. From a sociological standpoint, it may just be one more ornament that makes a Christmas tree look nice, methaphorically speaking, in my opinion.

Notice that it has speed, danger, drama, great endurance, and fellow race track attendees that offer a feeling of camaraderie. It also offers a feeling of being quite an American sport. It might just be the zenith of the American car culture that has existed before cars had tail fins.

Wasn't it in the tv program, The Dukes of Hazzard, where someone consistently jumped into the convertible, without opening the car door? That may have been a subtle hint that one day the dering do of Nascar could evolve out of that convertible taking off with the motor gunned?

spendius

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 04:14 pm
@Foofie,
I would say that Nascar is popular because it holds out the hope of seeing a real giant pile up with flames and sparks and chunks of metal flying in all directions.
trying2learn

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 04:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Your link doesn't work???
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 08:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I would say that Nascar is popular because it holds out the hope of seeing a real giant pile up with flames and sparks and chunks of metal flying in all directions.

You're not giving any credence to it being more popular amongst Southerners, regardless of the potential for calamitous drama?

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 05:23 am
@Foofie,
Southerners are less squeamish than northeners maybe.

There is likely a social occasion aspect to it and an unconscious death wish.

I have seen it a few times and it looks like spectacle for spectacle's sake. The jaded appetites seeking outlet in novelty.
Foofie

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 06:55 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Southerners are less squeamish than northeners maybe.

There is likely a social occasion aspect to it and an unconscious death wish.

I have seen it a few times and it looks like spectacle for spectacle's sake. The jaded appetites seeking outlet in novelty.

Well, if you intellectualize to that degree, you might be taking the "fun" out of it for the usual spectators. Nothing is worse than cerebral thoughts when one is relating with one's base emotions, in my opinion. That could really be raining on one's parade, so to speak.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 07:12 am
@Foofie,
I can't rain on anybody's parade Foof. Least of all that of the Nascar circus.

I imagine it contributes to advances in motor engineering. It is well known in history that such dare-devil activities arouse female susceptibilities and I am certainly not against that.
trying2learn

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 11:37 pm
@spendius,
I realize this thread was started 3 years ago. It surprised me that the link didn't work or maybe not. Arouse females? Did you think it might arouse males?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 11:42 pm
Actually NASCAR is just about the biggest-drawing "sport" in America, wherever there's a track.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 12:04 am
@MontereyJack,
What do you base that on?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 12:20 am
@trying2learn,
spectators per year.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 05:35 am
@trying2learn,
Quote:
Did you think it might arouse males?

I don't know. It's not something I've ever considered.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 09:22 am
@spendius,
Me either!!! Football is bigger than racing where I live.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 11:22 am
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/panzade/shitaboutjr_zpsf245343a.jpg
0 Replies