I lied on my Fafsa Income Verification Sheet

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
I have been receiving financial aid for about ten years, and I have been receiving social security for about 6 of them. I never file, because there is no need to. I am in my last year of school, and I did something the beginning of the year that I am panicking about. I found a place in Philadelphia that creates "fake taxes." I went there with a family member and filed and got back 5 thousand dollars. They use your ssn, and my children's as well. Philly is almost 3 hours away from me. I looked on the back forms they gave me and it says that I own a beauty salon there. Just gave my school a verification worksheet that says that I didn't file again. I'm scared. I don't know what to do. I swear I won't do it again, but I'm seriously worried that it's going to ruin my last year. Should I make the correct changes with the "fake taxes" or should I just wait and see what happens?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,623 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:16 am
@mamiva18509,
mamiva18509 wrote:

I have been receiving financial aid for about ten years, and I have been receiving social security for about 6 of them. I never file, because there is no need to. I am in my last year of school, and I did something the beginning of the year that I am panicking about. I found a place in Philadelphia that creates "fake taxes." I went there with a family member and filed and got back 5 thousand dollars. They use your ssn, and my children's as well. Philly is almost 3 hours away from me. I looked on the back forms they gave me and it says that I own a beauty salon there. Just gave my school a verification worksheet that says that I didn't file again. I'm scared. I don't know what to do. I swear I won't do it again, but I'm seriously worried that it's going to ruin my last year. Should I make the correct changes with the "fake taxes" or should I just wait and see what happens?

My first piece of advice to you: don't admit that you committed crimes on the internet. Do you think that people here are going to tell you how to avoid getting caught?

You stole that 5 thousand dollars from the rest of us and ought to be ******* ashamed of yourself. Despicable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:18 am
@mamiva18509,
without a judgmental rant, I would suggest that you consult an attorney.

you will likely need one before you are done...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:25 am
Believe it or not - the IRS can be very understanding when people come forward, admit they have made an error in judgement and want to make things right. You will have to pay any penalty they determine you owe, but they are not looking to put you in jail. They might be interested in these people you dealt with. I agree about talking to a tax attorney, but you really should consider throwing yourself at the mercy of the IRS.
0 Replies