Dadpad does Europe photos

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:43 pm
England is dirty, eh, Dadpad? Thanks for that.
dadpad

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:54 pm
@contrex,
No worries contrex. Its a pleasure to keep you honestly informed.
I must say its only an impression i got from the few places i visited. No doubt some places are better kept.... . The impression i got from the places i visted in other countries was that an effort was being made to keep clean and tidy.
In addition an English visitor here some months ago made comment on how much cleaner Australia was.
Despite that, I enjoyed my visit to England very much. I have some more photos of another village near Buckingham that i was lovely. Had lunch in a pub there that was excellent.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:19 am
Dadpad, thanks for the pics and your honest commentary.

Looking forward to more.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:59 am
@Diane,
Looking forward for the next photos to come ...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 01:42 am
I'm wondering if we can share the photos this way. some of these i have posted here before. The second half you wont have seen.
These are from (mostly) the village of Padbury in Buckinghamshire.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24771&id=100000263160081&l=78b137ca7e
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 01:45 am
@dadpad,
Very nice!!! (The missus added something like how nice bride and groom looked etc ...)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:01 am
Sweden
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24797&id=100000263160081&l=efc742f160
more from sweden
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24777&id=100000263160081&l=2723b89969
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 05:45 am
Slide show for Germany. (click on the pic)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/Germany/th_P8150148.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 05:52 am
Germany 2 slide show
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/Germany/th_P8190374.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 06:13 am
@dadpad,
What a coincidence: I've been there as well Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:27 am
I don't think I've really ever seen pictures of Sweden!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:38 am
Dad, did you get to see the famous restoration of the ancient ship Vasa? Here are some photos.

http://www.google.com/images?expIds=17259,25652,25900,25958,25983,26119,26325&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&cp=31&hl=en&q=photos+of+the+swedish+vasa+ship&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=bn56TKmiDY_EsAOPqqjtCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQsAQwAA&biw=800&bih=387
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:03 am
@dadpad,
Thanks for the Germany slideshow, Dadpad. I only saw one or two of you, Mumpad, and Walter. Nice little villages with cozy little houses. A lot of forests (trolls may be hiding there -- did you bump into spendius?)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:26 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Nice little villages with cozy little houses.

<grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter>

wandeljw wrote:
trolls may be hiding there

He stayed with two of them for a couple of days and was driven by the senior troll some couple of hundreds miles (a bit less -1.61 conversion factor- kilometers) Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:37 pm

Lorra pix.
Diane

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
DP, are there more pics? Will you also tell us about your impressions on the cities and country side and the people who live there. Also, what about you, Mrs Pad and your daughter.

Not asking for much, am I? If you can, it would be wonderful.
dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:39 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Lorra pix.

D'ya want to clarrify that. I have no idea what it means.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:47 am
We stayed with Walter and his lovely wife In Germany and I have to say Walter went well out of his way to make sure we had a good time. He drove us everywhere, which was much more than i ever expected. I had to watch him otherwise he would have paid for everthing as well. As it was i had to argue with him about dinner bills. I can't emphasise enough how very greatfull we are to Walter and Ulla for their hospitality.
Also I must apologise for going to sleep in the car so much.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:04 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Also I must apologise for going to sleep in the car so much.

Well, I'd upgraded your stay here to services by the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits et des Grands Express Européens. sleeping car - so no problem Wink
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:14 am
@Diane,
Quote:
Will you also tell us about your impressions on the cities and country side and the people who live there.

I think I covered England in a previouse post.
You must realise that we only had a bit of a snapshot but for what its worth...
Both Sweden and Germany impressed me as neat and tidy.
In Sweden the houses are all red with white trim. Damn near every single one is the same colour! If a house was not red with white trim it was yellow with white trim. There is water EVERYWHERE in Sweden. Big lakes, small lakes, rivers, ponds. I was quite jelouse. It made me realise just what a dry country it is.

Everyone we came in contact with in both Sweden and Germany was happy to speak english if required.
Animals are generally not in evidence in fields as they are here. We did see some but it was only occasionally.

Some things about Germany:
Farmers have barns and sheds in the middle of villages. Fields are generally small in comparison to here.
There is a LOT! of corn.
There are an extrodinary amount of wind powered turbines. It was not often in all our travels that there were not turbines in view or on the horizon. Barns too had their roof covered ion solar panels.
Many farms were growing corn.
It was sometimes difficult to tell where one village finished and the next began, sometimes only a few fields separated each village.
Some of the older houses date back to the 1500's and people still live in them.
Other old buildings hundreds of years old have shops in them.
Did I mention about the corn? There was a fair bit of corn. Apparently much of the corn is grown for use as biofuel.
The food was very good. Lovely fresh rolls for breakfast. Fresh produce every bit comparable in quality to here. I didnt get to explore the forests as perhaps I would have if i had been on my own but the trees are so straight. So much potential timber. Our own gum trees tend to be bent and twisted.
I'll post more later if I thing of things
0 Replies