including search by zip code/distance in a website

brahmin

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:00 pm
hi,
a certain website has a search option where someone can search for a particular thing, and specify price, size etc. one of the search handles we need to incorporate is distance/zip code.

So if you are searching from a zip code like 19904, and you want to find the options available within 50 miles, then you should be able to specify "up to 50 miles" and then the search should only show the options that are within 50 miles of your location. for example in dating sites, one can search for people by distance (eg- within 30 miles) - how is that done?

However the question is how to incorporate this in the website?? Is there any third party that allows others to calculate distance by zip code and show only those that satisfy the conditions? Do we have to pay the third party?? does google maps allow other websites to use their service in some way to find distances out??

Please help me with this if you know the answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,989 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 06:06 am
@brahmin,
I wish I knew as this is a great feature. My only suggestion would be to look at websites which do this, like Monster. Maybe even see if you can contact their webmaster and ask. It's probably proprietary, but if they used an outside service they could at least give you the name of the company they used.
brahmin

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 09:05 am
@jespah,
well thanks for the reply.

it cant be proprietary - i have seen the same model used in so mamy websites, there's got to be a standard service provider.

other replies welcome.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:47 pm
please someone help me with this - i am at my wits end about this.Sad(
0 Replies