Ballerina shoes: yay or nay?

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@roger,
Shoe sizes drive me nuts, since so many are made in Asia these days. I need an 11 1/2 or a 12--although that was in the days when shoes were made in America, or made in Italy for the American market. Shoes made in Asia, i usually have to buy a 13 just because they can't seem to get the larger sizes right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
@Setanta,
I think you need another pair of those, and maybe I need some too if they make them for women. Do you remember the shoe brand/maker?

I too love loafers. My present loafers are seven years old, and have a certain well worn patina..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:23 pm
cyclo, I honestly think you're a bit on one side of the bell curve with "men don't care what their shoes/clothes look like, it's all function."

I know you honestly think "real" men don't care, but, honestly, they do.

They may not describe it in feminine terms, but just like how a man wears his hair, trims his beard (if he has one) and a hundred other things, aethetics do have something to do with it.

If you're wearing a nice pair of gray slacks, that fit well, made of good material, you're not going to put on a pair of black shoes that look like something Grandpa McCoy would wear.

Just look at Nike stores, if you don't want to talk about dress shoes.

Do you really think men that buy Nike's are doing it 100% because of how it feels?
Of course not, you also have to like what they look like.

I don't sit around with other woman rapturing about cute bows and the way those little dots are soooooo cute. Those type of women annoy me too.

But, I will observe, and comment on if someone's shoes enhances the big picture, same as I would comment to a man or woman if a particular color they are wearing really looks good on them.

Believe it or not, even real guys like to hear, "That's a nice shirt. Greens a good color on you."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:27 pm
@chai2,
I'm almost 100% sure that I wrote:

Quote:
I'm not really interested in arguing about it, though; those are my thoughts on the matter.

Yup, just went back and checked. Just to throw ya a bone, though -

Quote:
I know you honestly think "real" men don't care, but, honestly, they do.

I don't know what you define as a 'real' man. I never brought that term up, or claimed to have any sort of monopoly on realmanness. But I don't really care what my shoes look like or what anyone's shoes look like or what anyone's clothes look like at all. It is without a doubt the least important thing about them, why would anyone care?

I agree with you that there is some casual interest in color-matching or pointing out that your buddy looks good with a maroon shirt on. But it's hardly significant. Like talking about the weather, but more personalized.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:29 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

i don't wear ballerina shoes either. i have flat feet and any flat shoes are painful after half an hour. i have to say i also don't care one way or another if someone wears them or not. my colleague was convinced that every last man on this planet hates those shoes though.

...'twas a lunch break debate... it doesn't seem there is any conclusive preference. it's just...shoes.

Sometimes a shoe is just a shoe.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't know what Oxblood is but it sure sounds luxurious.

Oxblood loafers...............yum........

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/products/mp/NMM6998_mp.jpg
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I guess we could move the conversation along by me asking: do you judge others by the quality of their shoes, or their coordination between their shoes and their outfits?

Cycloptichorn

Again, I think you are phrasing your questions in such a way to make it seems like one would have to be an elite snob, someone who would shun you, unless they were wearing all designer clothes.

Do I, or anyone else "judge" others?

That's a loaded question.

I don't judge if they are a good or bad person, stupid, intelligent, kind or cruel.

I judge that they have good taste.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:49 pm
cyclo...."real" men were MY words, not yours.
I should know, since I was the one who typed them.

You make many assumptions.

If you would quit making them, re my words, this would be a pleasant conversation.
Please stop looking for vehemence, where there is none.
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
Here's a pigskin lined ballerina shoe.

I could live with this. Doesn't look totally flat to the floor.

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/ptg_gilia_lowtide_08.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:01 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

cyclo...."real" men were MY words, not yours.
I should know, since I was the one who typed them.

You make many assumptions.

If you would quit making them, re my words, this would be a pleasant conversation.
Please stop looking for vehemence, where there is none.

I base my reactions on past experience in conversations with you.

I assure you that I am well aware that I didn't type the words 'real man.' However, you seemed to make the assumption that this was the way I felt. I felt it was worth pointing out that I didn't feel that way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
oh, just hush already.

we all got your point, you don't care what you wear. message received.

moving on......

While looking up those oxblood shoes, I came across websites that sell gloves, parasols, etc.

I was thinking of getting a parasol this summer, because of the heat.

I'm just past the generation that regularly wore gloves....what was it like?

Nice, or a pain in the ass?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Men really couldn't care less about people's shoes. It is supremely unimportant.

Cycloptichorn

Really? You think men wouldn't notice a woman wearing something like these? I've noticed men definitely check out what women are wearing on their feet, it happens when they pan their eyes either up or down depending on their personal preferences for the landscape of the female body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/tinker2/odd/patentleather29.jpg

My problem with those little ballet flats is they have no support. It's like wearing a hot dog bun on your feet.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:32 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree with both of your points. I have high instep/arches and need some arch in my shoe design, and yeh, that affects loafers too. (Oh, but, I'm not a man. Just saying re the ballerina things. Aesthetically, one thing, and re function, that would depend on your feet.

As for men and shoes, some care, some don't. In my acquaintance, a lot care, at least somewhat.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
Girl here, but vote yay. They look great with jeans and the Steve Madden ones fit me like a glove. Just love 'em.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 03:17 am
@dagmaraka,
They looked wonderful on Audrey Hepburn.
(Though hers were rather more pointy toed.)
But then, anything looked fabulous on Audrey!

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens6769462module55052062photo_1251822428audrey_biking
Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 05:14 am
@chai2,
They look more like brown than oxblood.

This is oxblood
http://warriorclothing.com/uk/shop/images/Loafer.jpg
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 06:09 am
@Intrepid,
Yeah, you're right, re the color.

I think I saw those in images, but the tassles and frou frou bugged me.

I liked the others for overall yumm...appeal.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 06:27 am
@chai2,
Hey! Those are my shoes you are taking about.

I also have a black pair like the brown pair you posted.

I do care about my shoes. I happen to think that it does matter how you look. Like it or not, people do judge you somewhat by the way you dress.

If someone dresses sloppily then they might be perceived in being sloppy in their habits, including work habits. I always made it a point to dress well. Like it or not, people who are dressed well do get treated better than those who are less neatly attired.

I always notice ladies shoes. Nothing worse than scruffy shoes on a lady.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Men really couldn't care less about people's shoes. It is supremely unimportant.

much like Dag's colleague, you speak for yourself about "care less"

I was out for dinner with friends last night. 100% of the men noticed (and commented on) my shoes.

I agree that it's not important what shoes other people wear - but many people do notice - and seem to care.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:22 am
@ehBeth,
Maybe you should have worn your shoes instead of Set's?

Razz