Ballerina shoes: yay or nay?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:31 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

oh, sorry, got you mixed up.

However, to say you don't care about shoes at all?

Only their functionality. The looks of them are unimportant.

Quote:
If you were invited to a fancy affair, or had to attend a business function, or anywhere else where you wanted to look your best, you wouldn't consider that part of your wardrobe?

Only because I'm too lazy to fight with others who do think it's important, such as my wife or boss. I could care less how I or anyone looks, personally, because looks aren't very important when it comes to judging people.

Quote:
Why are shoes less important than other articles of clothing that you would be particular about in such a situation?

They aren't much less important; I think that judging people based on their clothing or fashion is a bad way to go through life, so I don't really care about it.

Quote:
Would you put on a suit, (and don't tell me you never wear one, you know I mean getting dressed up for something important) and you look really sharp, except that you're wearing scuffed, worn out overly casual etc. shoes?

I don't ever wear a suit and I only wear a tie if absolutely forced to. That useless quasi-penis has never held any attraction for me at all.

I generally wear flip-flops - everywhere. I got married in flip-flops.

Quote:
I'm not obsessed with shoes, but I'm not going to ruin the entire appearance of an outfit by putting on the clogs I use in the garden, when I'm not going out to pull weeds.

Okay with me.

I would say that men generally don't care about shoes very much. Most guys I know don't give a **** about them, other than the fact that your feet need protection and you have to wear SOMETHING.

I'm not really interested in arguing about it, though; those are my thoughts on the matter.

Cycloptichorn
Sglass

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:33 pm
@dagmaraka,
OMG here's Dagmarka to keep us on our toes.

Those ballerina style shoes are the most boring shoes I have ever seen in my life and they need a swiss polkadot dress to compound the horror of those shoes.

Now back in the day (50's) ballerina dance slippers were worn, but they were very foot fitted (like a glove) and were cute.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Maaaax! Surely you don't think they are dressing to suit us. If you do, kindly eplain the 3/4 inch phoney finger nails. Tell us why they wear that creepy eyeshadow, while you're at it.

Trust me, dressage and makeup are competive sports. Men don't get to play or judge.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:06 pm
i don't wear ballerina shoes either. i have flat feet and any flat shoes are painful after half an hour. i have to say i also don't care one way or another if someone wears them or not. my colleague was convinced that every last man on this planet hates those shoes though.

...'twas a lunch break debate... it doesn't seem there is any conclusive preference. it's just...shoes.
chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, I'm not arguing.
you're the one who interjected that word.

It's not an all or nothing thing. It's not like you "Go through life judging people by fashion" and don't consider anything else.

Although, I do think there are times when seeing how a person grooms themselves, and dresses, can help you decide if you think they pay as little attention to other things. In addition of course to other indicators. It's all part of the package of being human.

There's nothing wrong with caring, to a healthy extent how others in society perceive us.
That's part of what makes us a community.

Believe me, I'm no fashion plate, but I'm no schlub either.

My husband loves his cowboy boots, and I mean multiple pairs, both dress and casual.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:22 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

i don't wear ballerina shoes either. i have flat feet and any flat shoes are painful after half an hour. i have to say i also don't care one way or another if someone wears them or not. my colleague was convinced that every last man on this planet hates those shoes though.

...'twas a lunch break debate... it doesn't seem there is any conclusive preference. it's just...shoes.

I'm a loafer girl, myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:25 pm
I agree with Soz, they work well on very few body types (though, I think not just storky-legged types).

I'm surprised to even see any men stating a preference here.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:47 pm
@dagmaraka,
I think they're cute. Hopefully there comfortable as well. Haven't given them much thought in awhile.

They were Marietta's (Eurodiva's) favorite style of shoes to wear.
http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/124/561/685/lKHwHM756IfkarD.jpg
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:52 pm
@roger,
Do dancing horses wear makeup?
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:56 pm
@maxdancona,
I've seen them with ribbons braided into their tails. Why?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@roger,
Sorry I forgot to quote you

Quote:
Trust me, dressage and makeup are competive sports.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@dagmaraka,
I'd opt for the woman's comfort, while saying that i think they look good on a woman. Not really for me to say.

But the thread title reminded me of an incident more than 20 years ago. I had a Boss who used to constantly ask me how to spell words, and not difficult words--it was really stupid. One day, he hollers from his office and asks me how to spell horseshoes. So i said: "W-H-O-R-E . . . " That was followed by silence, and he stopped asking me to spell words.

Do you like whore shoes? Do you ever wear them?
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:03 pm
@chai2,
Good answer. One of the most comfortable pairs of shoes i ever owned was a pair of Italian oxblood loafers lined with pig skin. It was like putting your feet into fine kid gloves. It was almost a sexual experience. At home, alone and while dressing, i'd slip them on, then slip them off, and slip them on again--sometimes several times.

I have never before told anyone this, and i never discussed this with women. God forbid i'd ever have mentioned it to a man.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@Setanta,
Good one

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
If men do not care about shoes, why are so many fine italian leather ones sold to men every day?

Because Women care about shoes. The same reason most expensive, useless **** is sold to men every day.

Cycloptichorn

I could not agree less. I can only wear leather or canvas, and i have feet which are wide beyond the instep and narrow in the heels. I care passionately about my shoes. It drives The Girl nuts, as she likes to buy me shoes.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
If men do not care about shoes, why are so many fine italian leather ones sold to men every day?

Because Women care about shoes. The same reason most expensive, useless **** is sold to men every day.

Cycloptichorn

I could not agree less. I can only wear leather or canvas, and i have feet which are wide beyond the instep and narrow in the heels. I care passionately about my shoes. It drives The Girl nuts, as she likes to buy me shoes.

Those are technical reasons to like something - functional ones. It's not about how they look, which was the point of the thread.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's true, but incomplete. I would never wear brown shoes with a black or gray suit or slacks, and would never wear black shoes with a blue, brown or green suit or slacks. I also care about the looks of my shoes.

With those oxblood Italian loafers, i frequently wore brown slacks so i'd have an excuse to wear them. I wore them out in about two years.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's true, but incomplete. I would never wear brown shoes with a black or gray suit or slacks, and would never wear black shoes with a blue, brown or green suit or slacks. I also care about the looks of my shoes.

With those oxblood Italian loafers, i frequently wore brown slacks so i'd have an excuse to wear them. I wore them out in about two years.

Well, those are definitely aesthetic reasons, thanks for clarifying. I don't know what Oxblood is but it sure sounds luxurious.

I guess we could move the conversation along by me asking: do you judge others by the quality of their shoes, or their coordination between their shoes and their outfits?

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@Setanta,
Glad to hear that. You could probably wear SAS, but not Doc Martins or Ecco. I have a similar, but probably smaller foot.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:15 pm
Basically, for appearances, a man can get by with one black belt and one brown belt, and one pair of black shoes and one pair of brown shoes. He should be careful that the brown shoes and brown belt closely match one another.

If i ever see another pair of those oxblood loafers, though, i'm buyin' em. If you ever get a chance to buy a pair of pigskin lined shoes, jump on it. It will alter your attitude to "dress" shoes forever.
0 Replies