Swearing on the Bible

Foofie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:35 am
@Telamon,
Since this is the second time you reference the humor of George Carlin, that I have noticed, I wonder if his humor will be ageless the way I Love Lucy episodes are ageless. Not all humor is ageless. I think some humor is just funny for a specific time in society.

And, I do not think all humor "ages" in the same fashion. Some humor has a life of decades, other humor not so much, I believe.

Your job might be made easier, when it comes to humor, since I believe a USAF broadcaster is talking to an audience that has some major similarities, regardless of one's respective career field. So, choosing one's humor, may be different than being a broadcaster at a radio station stateside?

Lastly, knowing that you might not value swearing on the bible, and I wanted to confirm that you were telling the truth regarding some topic, I would ask you, "Do you swear on your OJT manual?"

failures art

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:26 pm
@Foofie,
How are I love Lucy episodes ageless?

A
R
T
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Since this is the second time you reference the humor of George Carlin, that I have noticed, I wonder if his humor will be ageless the way I Love Lucy episodes are ageless. Not all humor is ageless. I think some humor is just funny for a specific time in society.

And, I do not think all humor "ages" in the same fashion. Some humor has a life of decades, other humor not so much, I believe.

Your job might be made easier, when it comes to humor, since I believe a USAF broadcaster is talking to an audience that has some major similarities, regardless of one's respective career field. So, choosing one's humor, may be different than being a broadcaster at a radio station stateside?

Lastly, knowing that you might not value swearing on the bible, and I wanted to confirm that you were telling the truth regarding some topic, I would ask you, "Do you swear on your OJT manual?"

I think George Carlin (at least some of his work) will remain “ageless” for a long time coming. Mostly due to the fact that the things he talked about are not going away anytime soon (Religion, Society, Politics, and even “Sanctity of life”).

All humor is not created equally that’s for sure. While some things quickly fade away(sometimes not fast enough such as “Jackass”) while others will remain for generations to come (“Golden Girls” I feel is in the top 5 for ageless comedies). Sadly our general population is coming to ignore the best and praise the worst Hollywood has to offer.

Unfortunately we are not permitted much leeway when it comes to humor in the military, there’s always that one person(in the military it only takes one) who will take offense to this or that. So we must generalize and tip-toe around everything, deflating most humor we might meant to get across.

As for, “Do you swear on your OJT manual?”, no. It’s nothing more than training material , like a history book for school. Additionally, my career field has recently gone through a merger, so a rewrite is still in the process of being completed.

Foofie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:28 pm
@Telamon,
Telamon wrote:

... Additionally, my career field has recently gone through a merger, so a rewrite is still in the process of being completed.

It is not part of the Information Career field anymore?
Telamon

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:43 pm
@Foofie,
The Air Force has recently merged Videographers (3NOX3) and Broadcasters (3NOX2) into one career field. We are still the "Information Career Field" but under new management with a broader scope of skill set, performing both functions of the two previous positions combined. Basically, more work, same pay, no official training (all OJT based, On the Job Training), twice as many positions to fill, and with a large cut of personnel a few years back not enough people to fill them. But alas what can one do?
Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:12 am
@Telamon,
Telamon wrote:

The Air Force has recently merged Videographers (3NOX3) and Broadcasters (3NOX2) into one career field. We are still the "Information Career Field" but under new management with a broader scope of skill set, performing both functions of the two previous positions combined. Basically, more work, same pay, no official training (all OJT based, On the Job Training), twice as many positions to fill, and with a large cut of personnel a few years back not enough people to fill them. But alas what can one do?

The proverbial silver lining might just be that upon retirement, the personnel with the enhanced skill set, due to cross-training, will be that much more employable. It sounds like the story of the ant and the grasshopper; work hard now, and one will not go hungry in the winter, so to speak.

During any time of change, a "positive attitude" gets noticed!
Telamon

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:17 pm
@Foofie,
A positive attitude is admirable, but a work mule can only carry so much before exhaustion sets in. Not that I’m complaining, I’d rather have too much work then too little, coworkers on the other hand…
It’s just irritating to carry my large workload while having to carry another’s. But hey, what can one do in the military but “shut up and color”.
And from my experience, those who get noticed get either a pat on the back, more of a workload (since they can handle what they have with flying colors), or negative paperwork.
0 Replies

Jesta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 12:59 pm
@djjd62,
HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER
Leviticus 20:9
If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTRY
THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE
20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR"S GOODS
Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.
THOU SHALT NOT KILL
20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you

I AM THE LORD THY GOD
THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME
THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN
Ezekiel 20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Telamon

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:51 pm
@Jesta,
blah blah blah....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 12:48 am
@Telamon,
Never seen/heard George Carlian before, so I went looking on YouTube.

Quote:
"Here's another one of these civic customs: swearing on the Bible. Do you understand that ****? They tell you to raise your right hand, place your left hand on the Bible. Does this stuff really matter? Which hand? Does God really give a **** about details like this? Suppose you put right hand on the Bible, you raise your left hand. Would that count? Or would God say: "Sorry, wrong hand! Try again!" ....

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:03 am
@msolga,
Wow. He certainly packs a punch!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 05:05 am
@msolga,
Don't you just hate making glaring, super obvious typos? Embarrassed
George Carlin, not George Carlian!
Duh.
Telamon

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 05:41 pm
@msolga,
Thanks for the link, highlight of my day.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:35 am
@Telamon,
My pleasure, Telamon.
0 Replies

Shaibabi77

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 11:18 pm
@djjd62,
I have never been so tickled before in my life.... Although it is so true your wording was so freaking hilarious....
glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:15 am
@Shaibabi77,
My brother, my mom and I went to see George Carlin at the University of Maryland in 1972. I was 8 months pregnant with my son Eric. Carlin was like a rock star, the audience knew his routines and would cheer when they recognized a bit he was about to perform. A big roar of approval just like when a rocker starts a beloved tune. He performed for 2 hours straight and it was nothing but pleasure. My mom loved it until he performed the 7 words you can't use on radio or television. I think she still thought it was funny, but she covered her face and winced as he went thru the bit. Carlin was a gifted comedian.
0 Replies