Jet Lag sucks

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 02:32 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
try spending around 20 hours and crossing the date line on a plane and see how you go david
Well, I 've flown from America to Austrailia n back, with no problems; is that close enuf ?

David
Eorl

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 04:31 am
@tsarstepan,
Does domestic travel even qualify as jet lag?
That's the least helpful advice I've ever seen.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
From US West Coast any Australian destination involves a straightforward east-west crossing of the Pacific, but from US East Coast only travel to Australia's East Coast does. Travel to Australia's West Coast is a polar route - that's how greater circle distances work. Download free program:
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/GreatCirclesOnMercatorsChart/
For some reason (I know of no scientific basis for this) I never get jet lag on polar routes, rarely on east-west routes, but always crash and have to sleep 12 + hours in west-east long trips. Long north-south travel doesn't affect me at all - maybe that's what polar routes involve as well?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 08:37 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
That's a really great idea. The problem I have is I can't seem to stay awake on a plane.
The minute we're at cruising speed, I conk out -- I think it's the drone of the engines.
I have not found that to be a problem, tho I ofen sleep up in the sky.

In my experience, INVARIABLY, some guy in the front volunteers to fly the plane.
Thay have NEVER asked me to help with the driving, tho we 've gone long distances.
Therefore, I need not worry about falling asleep at the wheel.
Even better, thay never get stuck in the mud, and thay have never asked me to get out n push.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 08:49 am
@High Seas,

I have never gotten jet lag in any direction
(except when the jet is waiting in a long line to take off,
lagging behind the other jets).

I 've been to India n back in 1984,
and to Hong Kong several times, without effect;
admittedly, when the plane took off from Hong Kong,
headed toward California, I got disOriented.

David
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
I agree with the east vs west thing.

I usually hit the ground running when I fly west to Europe (with the exception of a particularly unpleasant flight to Greece!)

Back home, after flying eastwards, I do a good imitation of a zombie for days on end. This trip I get home on Friday morning and have to work on Monday - we'll see how it goes!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:28 pm
@margo,
Seems a lot of us corroborate the going east thing. Maybe dlowan will miss jet lag...
roger

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Wherever she goes, she has to go back.

Well maybe not. There's always the circumpolar route.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
@roger,
Is New York to Adelaide (egads), west, more miles than NY to Adelaide, east?
Like, duh, I haven't looked it up.

I figure north south is a no-lag... and probably polar too. (Awaiting correction...)

Trouble is, never mind jet lag, flights and getting to them can be stress city. (I remain avid, but sometimes it's harder that others to enjoy a flight.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'd guess that Deb is taking a round-the-world flight - so only travelling west (she heads to Europe first!)!

It'll be interesting to see how she goes. That's my plan for the trip after this one!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:43 pm
@margo,
Oooooh, a Margo trip in the distance..
margo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oooooh, a Margo trip in the distance..

Some distance yet. I leave for England in just over 2 weeks.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 06:01 pm
@margo,
I know, Margo. I'm very interested...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 03:02 am
@roger,
Well in this case it's only a flight over Alaska (NY to AU west coast) not really the pole. Actual routes flown aren't always great circle for a number of reasons, but you can look up distances and shortest routes on this link: http://www.wolframalpha.com/ Enter "distance <city a> to <city b>"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 03:19 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

roger wrote:

I'd guess that Deb is taking a round-the-world flight - so only travelling west (she heads to Europe first!)!

It'll be interesting to see how she goes. That's my plan for the trip after this one!

I'll be interested too.

But I was pretty stuffed after NYC to Adelaide last time!!!
0 Replies