What makes your town or city dog friendly?

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:54 pm
Do you consider your town or city in which you reside as dog friendly?

How is your access to vets? Animal hospitals? Dog kennels and overnight locales? Dog runs and parks? Community dog/people meetups? Access to sidewalks for pedestrian safe dog walks? Plenty of dog walkers in the local market? Minor details like access to water for dogs on a hot sunny day? Dog friendly stores? Convenient locations for free newspapers or poop bags in case you forgot one before you went on a dog's relief walk? Etc....

This thread has been inspired by the following Boston Globe article:
Why Provincetown was named America’s dog-friendliest place

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/articles/2010/08/24/how_provincetown_became_the_nations_dog_friendliest_place/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,179 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good question. I considered Venice, CA and Eureka, CA to be dog friendly to my dogs. I was neutral on things here in Abq until I ran into a vet I liked a great deal, and so did the Pacc - but that had more to do with my living now in a city edge tract of duplexes, townhouses, whatever, where dogs are voices from back yards.

Pacco would have just plotzed at a dog park, or I projected with some reason he would have, so I'm ignorant of those. He almost plotzed at doggy day care, where he got to visit when we did out of town site mapping, except that his doberman pal came over and stood over him, and the group dynamic changed, according to the owner (Dobie was business partner's dog).
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
More in another post.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm very friendly, but I should mention I'm still working on a way to hook up a fence charger to my new rear tires. Maybe I should just get the neighbors a fire hydrant.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:22 pm
I'm pretty sure NFL uses Russell Athletic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, in Venice, I had a railroad tie found puppy that couldn't be owned, but was loved: Sandpaw. And an irish setter that my husband picked up as skin and bones in a lumber yard many miles away, for us to foster and have him adopted. I won, dog stayed. They bonded, so much that ex hasn't has a dog since Kelly's death. They were a fixture running in the city and the beach.

Venice has a famous boardwalk, but is a town past all that, and many of us had dogs we loved.

I have no idea of how to summarize Venice's attributes for dog friendly. We just were. Nothing to do with number of vets or play parks, and so on.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Almost every home in my neighborhood has a least one dog; some have cats.

Its fun to hear one dog start barking, which sets off the other dogs communicating with each other.

BBB
roger

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
@roger,
If anyone wonders, this post was in reply to a post (since removed Smile spamming for Reebok jerseys.
littlek

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:32 pm
There are dogs ALL over Ptown. It's actually kind of impressive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:55 pm
@roger,
Spamming for Reebok jerseys for dogs? How niche do these spammers get?!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I no longer have warm and fuzzy feelings towards dog day care centers. It's best to have a relative or friend or friendly neighbor take care of one's dog when one has to go away on vacation or for other assorted reasons.
Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:34 am
I live in a "dog friendly" condo. Unfortunately for some dog owners though they take to much too heart and do not clean up after their dogs. Nothing irks me more than people who are not responsible for their pets (except maybe those that are not responsible for their children).

I have found that Carmel, CA is very dog friendly - you can bring your dog into almost every store - yes my little monster even had a drink in Tiffany's when we went browsing there. And restaurants as well -many have doggie menus. And they allowed on the beach. This had to be my doggies best vacation.

Jet blue is pet friendly - if you have a pet under 20 pounds you can bring him on board for $100 round trip as long as they are in a carrier that will fit under the seat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:43 am
In my community, we have a dog park. Actually, there are two, one for small dogs, and one for larger breeds. There is an overhang with chairs where owners can sit and chat, out of the sun and rain.

There is a fence around the park. Any dog who "belongs" to the park, has a card attached to the fence. It is alphabetized under the dog's name, with the owners' names listed secondarily. At about 4 p.m., the park is loaded with dogs and their owners. It is a great way for animal lovers to make friends, and of course, it is wonderful for the dogs.

I think that the whole idea is adorable.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:04 am
@tsarstepan,
In the situation I mentioned, the person who could have, and did several times take care of Pacco, was with me when we were going out of town for the day. The person who ran the doggie day care was a friend of hers. I did take him to another place with individual kennels (not small, either) one or two times after that.

I guess it depends on the friends and neighbors available, and the quality of the day care place. When ex and I went to Italy for a month, back when we lived in Venice (CA), we kept the dog at home and our long time immediate neighbor watered and fed and played with him every day.
0 Replies

albien28

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:16 am
@Phoenix32890,
Dog organization makes our city friendly...For more info please visit http://www.localdogwalker.com/

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:55 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Its fun to hear one dog start barking, which sets off the other dogs communicating with each other.

BBB

Dave Barry named that phenomena "Rove Alert"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:57 am
Austin Tx, very dog friendly.

Multiple dog parks, good lease laws, people required to pick up after their dogs, much rental housing is pets welcome, etc.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:48 am
Quote:
What makes your town or city dog friendly?

Nobody tries to shoot 'em.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:49 am
we don't have a town dog.

but if we did, I bet he'd be friendly...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:51 am
Every time i go in to town
The boys start kickin' my dog around
It don't make no difference if he is a hound
They gotta stop kickin' my dog around . . .
0 Replies