MAC users, can you help me with memory problems?

Clary

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:18 am
Dear MacPeople
We all know Macs are best but since moving to broadband instead of dialup server a week ago, I have had the iMac crash many times, and the system memory is often said to be low. I am using 30.9 for the operating system (MacOS 9.2) and 25.5 for Explorer. Perhaps you would recommend another browser? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy more memory?

Hopefully, prayerfully yours! Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:00 am
The only way you can keep this interaction at the top of the list is to post on it. Or ask the administrators to "feature" it. Which would keep it at the top of that forum's interactions. But I think the biggest problem is, that there just aint many mac users around.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:03 am
Too right, Bill has swept the board... I've been using Apples since 1983 but maybe I'll just have to switch. But thanks for your advice, hope you are having sunny days and good times down in Kanahooka!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:04 am
I know absolutely nothing about Macs or how it allocates memory.

I'm doing a search on Google for "solutions to iMAC low memory problems" and most of them refer to the low memory problem occurring right at startup.

Can you go into a few more specifics and describe exactly what the problem is? Pretend you are describing it to someone who has their eyes closed and can't see whatever it is you are looking at. Paint a picture of the situation with your words for us.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:05 am
Been overcast all weekend. I'm expecting the sun to come out Monday morning as per usual.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:10 am
Found this info on one website.

Quote:
More Memory?

The standard 32 MB of RAM really isn't adequate for playing today's software. My recommendation is to add a 64 MB chip to boost your RAM to 96MB. You can expand the memory to 256MB, if you really want to. It also has a hefty 6GB IDE hard drive, which is perfect to partition and maximize the potential of the computer.

Also, here's a link to what looks like a very comprehensive tips and troubleshooting site for the iMAC. Hope it helps.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:50 am
With 192 mb memory for my four year old iBook, it works without problem for most of programs.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:33 am
Re: MAC users, can you help me with memory problems?
Clary wrote:
Dear MacPeople
We all know Macs are best but since moving to broadband instead of dialup server a week ago, I have had the iMac crash many times, and the system memory is often said to be low. I am using 30.9 for the operating system (MacOS 9.2) and 25.5 for Explorer. Perhaps you would recommend another browser? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy more memory?

Hopefully, prayerfully yours! Confused

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...

First of all, use a different browser. I use Mozilla 1.2.1.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.2.1/mozilla-macos9-1.2.1-full.bin

The system memory error gives me a case of the ..?.. How much memory do you have? Is it a IE memory error or system. You can give IE more memory by selecting the application icon and hitting and holding the apple key and then hit I.. This gives you the get info window. Give it more memory.

Getting more memory or upgrading to OS X could cure many problems.
Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:20 pm
I have 128 mb on my old imac from a recent upgrade. At some point while I was getting help with my mac's difficulties re usb ports, the fellow did a quick step to bring more memory to the Internet Explorer. What jpowell just described seems like what he did, but I can't seem to get to first base.

I click on the icon, once, and it turns black. I hold down the control (apple) button and type I. Nada, I don't get a window for Get Info.

I read in my handy guide book that I could also go to the Finder's file menu and choose Get Info. What Finder's File menu?

(Hi, Clary, another mac fan here...)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:26 pm
jpowell wrote:

First of all, use a different browser. I use Mozilla 1.2.1.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.2.1/mozilla-macos9-1.2.1-full.bin

The system memory error gives me a case of the ..?.. How much memory do you have? Is it a IE memory error or system. You can give IE more memory by selecting the application icon and hitting and holding the apple key and then hit I.. This gives you the get info window. Give it more memory.

Getting more memory or upgrading to OS X could cure many problems.
Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

Thank you very much for your help, jp. I got the Mozilla download but actually it uses even more memory than IE and is therefore very slow since I haven't that much to spare. It isn't the browser memory that's the only problem, I can change that, but if I allocate too much to it, the system memory is too low and I get -2 error messages. There seems to be a lot of stuff in my HD that I never use and I wonder whether I can disable it to free up memory - or if it isn't running, maybe it doesn't take up memory? Ignorant, i'm afraid!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
Also I notice that the MacOS memory is now using 40.2 - it goes up all the time!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:36 pm
The Get Info file on the Internet Explorer says it has 11 mb on the disk. Doesn't seem so much...
I often get notices that I don't have enough memory for a certain plugin when I am navigating on a2k. Very annoying.

On another try, I see that what I am supposed to click is on Memory in the window to next to the word Show... however, there is only the choice of General Information and Sharer, not Memory. Hmmmph.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:07 pm
I think that's because you can't change the memory while the program is running. If you go out of the program and then highlight its icon, you can then get info including memory. What I don't understand is why the memory need grows so much - even when I empty caches. It's as if I need a good clean up and reorganisation of stuff!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:11 pm
But I didn't have the program running....

Well, I can call my Macfixer tomorrow.. hope I don't need to buy more ram. This started happening after I added my new scanner, but I doubt that is it.

I don't know about the growing mbs, Clary, perhaps Satt or jpowell will.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
Simply put it, purchasing an additional ram solves most of the performance problems. Sad
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 02:38 am
Clary wrote:

Thank you very much for your help, jp. I got the Mozilla download but actually it uses even more memory than IE and is therefore very slow since I haven't that much to spare. It isn't the browser memory that's the only problem, I can change that, but if I allocate too much to it, the system memory is too low and I get -2 error messages. There seems to be a lot of stuff in my HD that I never use and I wonder whether I can disable it to free up memory - or if it isn't running, maybe it doesn't take up memory? Ignorant, i'm afraid!

Clary:
If you can't get more physical RAM you can up your Virtual Memory. This uses your hard drive as RAM and could help get rid of some errors.

Apple Menu --> Control Panels--> Memory

For example: I have 128 Megs of Physical RAM and use 129 of my hard drive. You have to restart for changes to take effect.

---------
Stuff on your Hard drive won't use up memory, only active applications. It's a good idea to check every once in a while and close any applications not in use. Sometimes I find myself with BBedit and Photoshop running when I have forgotten about them.

I find the same thing about the RAM the OS uses. When I first start up OS 9.1 it uses about 19 Megs. Once I fire up photoshop it jumps to 40+. But I re-claim the memory once Photoshop quits.

ossobuco: Make sure you get info on the actual Application icon. The Alias(app name is in italics) won't allow you to change memory allocations.
0 Replies