Is this man secular saint or a nut?

mlueken

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:33 am
Scenario (based on a true story): A Florida millionaire recently donated a kidney to a total stranger. This was not new behavior for him; he had already donated most of his money, believing that his children should not inherit so much that they become indolent and stupid with it.

All that would be, according to your own beliefs, notable for either it's stupidity or generosity; however, the story doesn't stop here. When asked about his kidney donation, the millionaire related that, if needed, he'd donate his other kidney, stating that the total stranger may easily be a better person than him and therefore worthier of life. This leaves him with no kidneys for himself, and subjects him to a much shorter life filled with painful dialysis and attendant complications.

The Question: Do you think this guy is a secular saint or a nut?

If possible, please sight either Deontological or Teleolgical reasons for judgement =)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:35 am
Well, I like that thing about making the kids make their own money instead of inheriting. I think the kidney thing in strange. People can suffer horrible complications just from donating one.
0 Replies

jaco213

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:59 am
I will first ask what he donated his money towards. If it was a less worthy cause than that of his sons happiness, I would say that he was foolish for giving away his prize for being successful. Now, the kidney story is a total sacrifical ordeal. He seems to me to be more of a slave than a human. Pain is negative, the reduction of pain is mans goal.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:05 am
I think I would be happier making my money myself than inheriting it. But maybe that's just me.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:02 am
I see my life as a step on a journey, that of sentience;
My contribution to the future is to demonstrate, to my children, friends, and those around me, a respect for each other, for knowledge, and for imagination, that will amplify the journey for all.
If i could ease the demands of day to day survival to whatever degree for my fellow travelers (by dispersing wealth, intelligently), i would do so.
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 06:40 pm
I understand where he is coming from by donating him money to charity, but donating both kidneys is a bit extreme. But there is no reason that I should go through this life with two perfectly healthy kidneys if I only need one. At one point, I will probably donate a kidney to someone in need. Maybe this man is just someone who's only goal is to serve others and not himself. It sounds like a admirable goal to me.
0 Replies

jonat3

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 07:07 pm
IMO a saint is someone who disregards himself to help the rest of humanity. This man however plans to sacrifice himself,thereby only helping one or two people. It's better to stay alive longer, enabling to help others then to sacrifice yourself in such a useless manner. His intentions are good, but he goes at it the wrong way. So he is a nut.
If anyone watched Kenshin, they would understand this. Smile
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:00 pm
Donating kidneys is probably not as safe as everyone says. A fair number of people who donate one of their kidneys end up needing kidney transplants later. So you don't really end up helping anyone, just spending more money and repeating a viscious cycle.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
Spending money for the sole reason of forcing your children to earn it on their own is idiotic. With their financial problems solved, they would be free to learn and explore the world rather than be a slave to a capitalist society.

As for the kidneys, the man is clearly not insane: he just sees the world in a different way. He has simply succumbed to Freud's death instinct and is not only willing to destroy his own life but the trouble-free future of his children.
0 Replies