The A2K End of the Year Holiday Letter

husker

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:23 pm
This is REALLY rough

Dear Family and Friends
Apologies on not being able to visit anyone this summer - been a very busy time here. Nothing much new this year - the kids are getting older and more mature - I guess I'm training them well in the worldly negotiation ways, they are now using my tactics back towards me, I however explain I'm wise to them and so - no need in trying, unless it's for practice. They're getting bigger and I'm getting older. Was successful at not losing a leg and foot, and by the pictures - you can she things are trimming (svelte is on the way) up as well. School events in sports and jazz band are keeping us busy. Despite the economy and monthly roller coaster ride business is good and employment secure. The foodbank has been swamped due to the economy, we do have a large community of businesses and other group's that are helping us to serve this less fortunate, and turn away volunteers weekly - the volunteers are scheduled 2 months in advance, I'll bet other agencies wish they had that problem. Mexico was great this year - planning on returning next summer with a more folks seeking a
life changing experience, so when we are not able to visit you, I hope you can understand. You'll also get an invite to the graduation of #1 son this spring.
In closing we wish you a most happy holiday and new year and look forward to hearing back!

Cheers and God Bless
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:25 pm
Sug-will ya hold off on the kid thing for a year or two? Some of us are wondering how you've managed to accomplish so much without killing anyone so far and we'd like you to rest a bit.
Wink

Me-Chrsitmas Cards..bah humbug.
Actually Ive done so little Im afraid to think about it.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:02 pm
Holding off on the kid thing will not be a problem. How can I possibly drink myself into the oblivion I've earned if I'm 'with child'? ::shudder:: Don't even wanna think about it.....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:16 pm
Excellent stuff! I also want to report that my family is healthy and for that Mr. Jespah and I are eternally grateful.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:22 pm
Got a new job - more money (although more work too, sigh!) but I feel more secure. Was thinking I might have to move if this hadn't come through. Contemplated moving to Sydney (a big decision).

Going home (to Ireland) for a big family reunion at Christmas. Going to see a niece for the first time.

Lost 16 lbs in the past six months ... slow going but I am determined to do it slow and keep it off ... got a long ways to go (not quite at Noddys level yet).

Came thru a painful breakup and didn't have to pay a shrink along the way - that's what good friends are for.

Tha's all I can think of right now.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
bigdice67 - Yeah, let's talk this up. Maybe this year we can attract a HUGE crowd of A2Kers.

Everybody- Florida is just GORGEOUS in May. The weather is perfect, dry and not too hot, most of the snowbirds have gone, so it is not very crowded!

This is a trick! She just wants us to come down there in hopes one of will know how to program her thermostat! Sneaky, Phoenix, very sneaky.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:13 pm
OH YES...I had forgotten about the whole got a new and better job thing...very very much appreciating of the whole cleaning the plate of the Spawn of Lucifer man.

Sug..whew! And drinking to oblivion is good with company Wink
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:17 pm
Hmmmm. . . this is indeed very hard. My years have been decreasing in interesting tidbits recently. . .

I'd say my most exciting item would have to be spending an entire month this summer in Germany sweating to death and, well, going outside occasionally, too. . .

. . . ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:18 pm
What did you do, Sugar? Feed them apples?

Yes Onyx, you may suggest Orlando. Don't know yet if I can make it this year or not, but Orlando is where I had to deplane anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:37 pm
Sugar's got the right idea. She's plenty young enough. Hold off for a while, there, enjoy your freedom. (She says, having spent the evening trying to accomplish something while a little naked banshee zooms around and performs various mind-boggling feats of destruction.)

I, um, hmm, whadidido? Got certified in a way-cool program, happy about that. (Working with hearing families of deaf kids.) Ushered aforementioned banshee through another year. Wondered where on earth we would end up. (Columbus looking likely but with lots of buts) (Setanta can attest to the double-t kind, seeing as how he sees them in hedges 'n' all.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 11:56 pm
Bumpy year, but much good along the way. Met some friends when I went to New York, including a2kers Diane and Roberta, old abuzzers Joan Dark, and LongDog, and my friend PaolaL On the way there from here, I met Piffka and Seattle friend twice, twice blessed twice, as I my flight took me from Seattle to Newark. I need to go back and meet at least three more people in New York City, if they'll meet me: Bree, and PrincessAsh now than I know her, and Joe Nation - who am I forgetting? I had a delirious time seeing the city I hadn't been in for decades, very very important to me.

I painted a series of landscapes for a solo painting show at my gallery in October, oh, and also had a show in the Capitol in Sacramento in our assemplywoman's office, back in June-August. Those were satisfying, although I am having eye trouble recently and that changed the paintings a bit. On the plus side, that'll be fixed fairly soon with laser surgery.

Business has been creepily slow in our landscape architecture firm for a lot of the year. Together with the gallery being slow, this has made for a lot of sleepless nights. Both engaging a landscape designer and buying a painting are relatively low priorities when people are clutching their wallets in a slow economy. There are a lot of serious layoffs in our small area. Well, small populace in a fairly large area. Recently we were hired to do the site design for a 4 star bed and breakfast in Sonoma county for owners who have a nifty history of good past projects, and this has been a business saver. (knock on wood). We are pulling in some design work from other parts of California, and so are looking up at bluer sky. Still, I can never retire.

Friends still make the trip up to see me in this relatively isolated place, and a lot of us keep in touch by phone and email. I'm hoping my niece and her dad do come up for New Year's - eek, a few weeks - which will precipitate a cooking and music and talking marathon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 09:42 am
Nifty stuff, osso. I hope you're better soon.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:04 am
Let's see. Had a wonderful family trip to Oregon in May, another trip to Scotland in September, all planned by me. Met Gautam and Steve and Steve's wife, Ros, in London which made me realize how the similarities between people more than make up for any differences in nationality. They are great, lovely people!

Did a bunch of really hard landscaping work on our retirement house. Taught my son how to drive. Made some excellent new friends and finally realized that hidden in the conservative folds of my community are some fellow radicals.

My most recent thrill is being part of the planning committee for a local, low-key film festival. I'm representing the group that will provide the venue and the money for buying equipment to show the films. As the program director, I'm also going to be the pointman for the new films, provided by a group called Film Movement. Whoodathunk it? (Oh Lord, I hope it all works out.)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:17 am
If u find any goodlooking single guys Piffka (the film world seems to be full of them) dont forget to give them my phone number !!

My end of year holiday letter...

.....will have to wait I guess !!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:25 am
We all know Gautam has been propelled into the world of the mighty. way to go!
i muddled through my research in slovakia and hungary and finished first two chapters of my dissertation.
and lost 25 pounds since last january as well. 20 more to go, ideally, but i will hold my dominion and follow noddy's developments for inspiration.
in the new year i just have to finish writing the monstrous text (only about 500 pages to go) and find a job. minor things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Dang, I have to go edit my letter, I skipped over meeting Piffka and Seattle friend as I was typing away, what a horrible goof, they are dear.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 11:00 am
Osso -- That's OK, we've started seeing each other often enough that it's hardly noteworthy anymore! Wink But yes, we did have a fine time last Spring. More good times to come too, I hope.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:07 pm
Great stuff! :-D
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:19 pm
Well, besides the situation of my mother (doing fine actually NOW), it was a really great year: having been three times in/to London to A2K-meetings (one attended by Mrs. Walter), got two re-visits (next one next weekend) ... and had some awfull good time here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:36 pm
A forgotten thread, but timely!

This year's accomplishment: 106 lbs. lost.