What makes a human being civilized?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:43 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Cyracuz wrote:

When they know the quadratic formula and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Then I sir must be a doomed savage. Confused
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
@Cyracuz,

The civilized are those who get more out of life than the uncivilized, and for this the uncivilized have not forgiven them. (Cyril Connolly, 1944)

http://www.buildingyourself.com/action/blood2.htm
0 Replies

tofayelbd

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 04:46 am
Knowledge can make us civilized. We are gradually going to wild.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 11:51 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I don't have any suggestions. It seems to me that any tribe, society or previous civilization or any gathering of people that we can contrast ourselves against come out above us on the civilized scale for one single reason. We are providing for half the world by depriving the other half.
So I felt like asking any human being that is aware that it's happening just how civilized they think we are? Are we the most civilized people who have ever lived?

Practicing the golden rule for starters.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:18 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I like G.B. Shaw's caveat regarding the Golden Rule: "Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you; their tastes may be different."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:10 am
What about this take on it?

- The desire to live and prosper without causing grief, suffering and harm to others and to his environment.

That would make some of the most successful people in the world, in terms of capitalism, very uncivilized, but that's ok, because they are. Anyone who is willing to profit from war, anyone who uses the cynicism of capitalism to get ahead, leaving a trail of misery in their wake, are savage creatures.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 09:55 am
@Cyracuz,
Here you are talking about "civilization" as a moral category rather than a social evolutionary one (as it was used originally by 19th century anthropologists).
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:59 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes, I guess I am. To be honest I am not completely clear on what "civilized" meant to those anthropologists.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 08:51 pm
@Cyracuz,
Those 19th century theorists tried to apply Darwin's strictly biological principles to a description of the evolution of societies, or socio-cultural systems, in terms of stages and progress--a gross misapplication of Darwin if you ask me. The lowest stage of socio-cultural "evolution" was, as I recall, Savagery, then Barbarism and then Civilization. Various criteria varied with different theorists, but I think categories like animal and plant domestication, the use of bow and arrow and spear throwers, metal and writing were common. Another version ranked societies in terms of the political levels of "bands" (nomadic hunters and gatherers), tribes (acephalic sedentary agriculturalists), chiefdoms (cephalic agriculturalists) and states (with kings, constitutions, and the like).
More or less
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:01 am
@JLNobody,
Thanks JL. Does that mean that quality of life and moral considerations held no relevance in determining if a society was either savage, barbaric or civilized?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:44:42