What makes a human being civilized?

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:18 am
@HexHammer,
Your attitude is so self righteous that it's almost funny.
What gives you the impression that I am jobless? Why don't you go an examine your own beliefs rather than try to discourage me from examining mine? I don't think you are stupid.

There's an ignore function? I'll find it and use it on you, because from what I have read of you, all you've ever done was to try to ridicule ideas that you clearly haven't got the mental power to even process on your own.

And another thing to laugh at is this: You talk about putting me on ignore, but it is you who are digging up every old post I ever wrote on a2k just to make your adolescent comments that are not at all productive to the topics being discussed.
You sir, are a scrub, and I just don't know what the hell you are doing on a philosophy forum. If anything you said actually came close to being even remotely relevant to this topic or my situation I would actually consider what you have to say. But it doesn't. The impression you are operating with is made up by you, unrelated to me other than to protect your ignorance and self righteousness from the impications of the ideas I put out.
If you can't handle it, don't cry. Just don't participate.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:50 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

but it is you who are digging up every old post I ever wrote on a2k just to make your adolescent comments that are not at all productive to the topics being discussed.
I'm sorry that I find your topics interesting.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:14 am
@HexHammer,
Me too.
But like I said, if you want to actually comment on the topics and issues up for discussion I will consider you input.

But please distinguish between the issue and the person presenting it. Feel free to call me crazy and proceed to point out the flaws in logic, as you see them. That is discussion, if not very advanced rethorics. But you need to contribute with more than subjective opinions on my mental clarity, for instance a counter argument to what is presented. Otherwise you are essentially just entering the conversation, not the discussion.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:16 am
@Cyracuz,
Dude, I'll siese and desist, I have a bad habbit of fixating on problems and try to eliminate them ..stepping everybody over the toes in the process, that's my weakness. Sorry for that.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:21 am
@HexHammer,
Bring your objections, not only the conclusions you make based on them, and we can have good discussion. Smile
0 Replies

1pugrules

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:16 pm
@Cyracuz,
What makes a person civilized? Using your grey matter to decide who and what you want to be and then attempting to achieve those goals. This assumes that you desire to become one of the few honorable humans on this planet. All other goals assure that you will not become civilized anytime soon so don't worry about trying to reach that ideal. Becoming civilized requires giving up the focus on your particular desires and opening yourself to the greater good. It also requires you to understand the limits to your ability to change society - you must remain focused on attainable goals to prevent burnout. Don't think all those with A grades will give them up to share with others who have D grades -so we all can have a C+. Not in this millennium - or any other!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:39 am
Coming back to this thread now, I have one thought about what makes a person civilized. Honor and respect..
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:16 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

What makes a human being civilized?

When they know the quadratic formula and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:57 am
Perhaps being civilized only means you are able to rationalize your horrors.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:54 pm
The evolutionary level of "civilization" is a 19th century anthropological category, used as a justification for branding some peoples as savages and barbarians. None of the three "levels" are used by anthropologists today.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:54 pm
The evolutionary level of "civilization" is a 19th century anthropological category, used as a justification for branding some peoples as savages and barbarians. None of the three "levels" are used by anthropologists today.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 09:29 pm
@JLNobody,
In many works of fiction civilized men encounter savages and barbarians, and as the story unfolds, the civilized men are always the ones responsible for savage and barbaric acts inspired by greed and ambition.
Motives like greed and ambition have never been regarded as particularly honorable or civilized qualities, yet they are among the most valued traits in the modern world. The term 'civilized' may be out of date, but it is my impression that since the start of the industrial revolution, mankind has been on a steady decline when it comes to 'civilized' values. Money is all that matters now...
JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
I'm afraid that's so.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
I'm afraid that's so.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:08 pm
@JLNobody,
Yet not forever. All over the world people are thinking in new ways, starting to abandon the kind of thinking that steers us down a path that many are beginning to see that we do not wish to travel. People are becoming increasingly aware of the power of free information sharing, and with more and more minds connected via the internet, the true opinion of the masses and the ability to express it only grows greater.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm
@JLNobody,
Agreeing in general still is true that some groups are more compliant with social norm then others...therefore more civil...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:13 pm
thumbs... the ability to masturbate stops rage from building up
JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:46 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Speak for yourself sir. Mad
north

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 01:51 pm

far less machinations towards other countries and Humanity as a whole

leave Native people alone , don't try to change them , instead brace their knowledge of their enviroment , and teach us their wisdom

don't make money the all be all , although I like the idea that we can all be rich if we want to be , don't break those who don't have the same attitude , have enough Humanity to draw the line

look after the enviroment

and in the end make our Planet and Humanity more important than anything
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:06 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Speak for yourself sir. Mad

I've never pretended to speak for anyone else Very Happy
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:37:49