Child Geniuses

Sheep

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:28 pm
Have you ever been searching for an answer and never found it until you meet a little child and he tells you bluntly. I once asked one of my friends what the meaning of life was as a joke and a nearby child exclaimed, "To live, dummy." I suppose it's their absolute innocence, they don't have any social blocks or anything to tell them that answers must be complicated. Or maybe it's like the movie where all babies know everything. They have vast untapped potential that scientists, philosophers, and poets look over. Could they just simply know the answers to most of life's questions that, as adults, we tend to forget?

How can children be so insightful sometimes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Diane

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:33 pm
Sheep, welcome to a2k. What a wonderful question! I think you mostly answered your own question when you said,

Quote:
I suppose it's their absolute innocence, they don't have any social blocks or anything to tell them that answers must be complicated.

They also seem to go straight to the heart of the matter. I remember reading about a semi that had got stuck under an overpass. Adults were standing around trying to figure out how to get it out of the way when a child suggested letting some of the air out of the tires. Genius!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:40 pm
They come up with great responses to problems that highly intelligent people can't, I would call it common sense but they usually have very little.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:31 am
Individual, adults can be so patronizing of children, and I learned a lesson from a bright, but rather obstreperous younger cousin. My son, nephew, and this little determined girl were at odds with each other, and the boys were making fun of her. In an attempt to mediate, I told her, "Now, Kim, they're not laughing at you, they're laughing with you." She looked me right in the eye and responded, " I'm NOT laughing."

There was a quietness that left me feeling like the child as all three waited for my response. I had none, thank God.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
P.S. Sheep, welcome to A2K and try not to be recalcitrant. Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:35 am
Children are born tabula rasa. As they grow older, and become more socialized, they learn about limits and boundries. Although learning those things are necessary for living in a civilized world, the downside is that the socialization does tend to stifle the imagination. Young kids have less preconceived notions than adults, so in their way, can often produce more original thinking than adults.

Have you noticed that in many fields, especially those in the creative sphere, people reach their heights of creativity in the earlier part of their lives?
0 Replies

serpico

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:21 am
I find it strange how Sho Yano (super child prodigy) is very religious and believes in god
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:33 am
Hey, serpico. Welcome to A2K. Why do you find that strange? I would assume Mozart must have been inspired by spirituality.
0 Replies

serpico

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
its strange because hes very logical and scientific, yet he explains his high iq gift as an act of god, this is irrational and basless.

I think its just a way for him to appeal to different people, scientists and religious types at once
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:46 am
Perhaps, but science has yet to ascertain which is more important in the development of a child's mind--nurture--nature--or a combination of both.
If you have ever read The Journey by the Massies, they have an interesting interpretation of a higher being.

Wow! Didn't mean to turn this into a religious discussion Razz
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:09 pm
serpico wrote:
its strange because hes very logical and scientific, yet he explains his high iq gift as an act of god, this is irrational and basless.

I think its just a way for him to appeal to different people, scientists and religious types at once

Maybe you just don't understand what he means by "god". There are many different kinds, and choosing only one "correct" one is gaurenteed to frustrate you.

For example, most atheists I know DO believe in god. It just has nothing to do with religion, that's all.

Plus, the English language is incapable of communicating most thoughts or ideas. The strangeness you feel may just come from the language. Kids seem to know this more than most adults, and just keep exploring.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:13 pm
Hmm...I was one of those kids, and for the most part, refused to be socialized. Welcome serpico (cool handle, and I loved the movie) and welcome Smiley, nice answer regarding the 'god' thing.
0 Replies

serpico

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:59 pm
Hmmm
wow everyone here is so nice, greeting me all the time Very Happy

Smiley I know what you mean, but Sho Yano believes in the christian god, he has read the bible 3 times and believes his IQ is a gift from God.

Wouldn't he think about the fact that God is supposed to be all-good. Why would he be selective with his gifts and 'curses'? If high IQ is a gift, then low IQ is a curse, and there are many more mentally challenged people than geniuses. Wouldn't Sho come to the conclusion that his belief is purely egotistical and quite irrational? I think so.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:27 pm
serpico wrote:
...there are many more mentally challenged people than geniuses.

Not necessarily, the tests just don't cover enough aspects of the mind such as creativity and ingenuity. Whereas a lot of people don't have the ability to succeed in the Stanford-Binet factual knowledge category.
0 Replies