Been burgled student help insurance claim.... please need urgent advice

mozem

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:58 pm
Im a student in stoke on trent (uk) and my house has damp/mold so to get rid of the smell id opened the window during the day while i was home, at around 8:30pm (still light outside) i decided to pop to the shop and get a few things for shopping, it took me longer than i thought and when i came home i opened the door and realised i had been burgled.

Most my electronics were gone my pc, laptop, tv, nintendo ds and xbox had all been stolen. I called the police who arrived around 11:30 and the day later the forensics people came but couldnt find anything useful since they said the surface had been wiped and the police said they suspect it may be the neighbours or some one.

Since id only moved in recently i never knew anyone i then decided to call my insurance company. A few days later i got intouch again and was told i was assigned a claims manager and then contacted a few days again and told that some one would come visit me. The person came and told me everything seemed ok and that he had recieved my reciepts etc and took a picture of the window and checked how easily accessible it was then informed me that the insurance company may be reluctant to pay out on my xbox since they have had issues with covering them and he would double check. Few days later he told me that he had checked and good news the xbox was covered but was awaiting to get intouch with the police for a police report this was a week and a half ago.

Today he emailed me to inform me he is still awaiting to get intouch with the police since they have not gotten back to him but also said that there may be an issue with the claim since my insurance stipulates that i take #

"You must at all times

a) take all reasonable steps to prevent accident, loss and damage

b) take all reasonable steps to ensure that all external doors and accessible windows to the Term Time Address...are fitted with adequate locks whish should be left operative whenever the Term Time Address is left without occupant."

I didnt intentionally leave the window open when i left and when i was asked by the insurance guy i told him i just didnt realise id left it open since i had a busy day and was just popping to the shop and thought i would be back quickly. What should i do im afraid my insurance claim will get rejected and i will be out of pocket any advice would be great.

What should i do im afraid my insurance claim will get rejected and i will be out of pocket any advice would be great. I also checked and found out im covered for walk in theft and thought it would mean im still covered but concerned still
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,298 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:14 am
Call the police or better yet visit them in order to expedite getting the police report. Be insistent, not pushy -- you need it to get your claim taken care of. They should totally get that.

As for your insurance carrier, see how it goes re getting coverage but also shop around for an attorney. I am unsure of the laws where you are -- cannot tell whether you have a case anyway as that would be offering you legal advice which is against our Terms of Service. But -- check -- see if you can sue for coverage. But shop around now, before you know you need them.
0 Replies