• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 03:40 am
@RexRed,
I never tried Starcraft. It's a strategy game right?

How complicated and menial of a strategy game is it? Do you have to ... plan things like factory building so one can maintain weapons production or is it more like World of Warcraft but only its in space? Do you have to worry about food production and other menial logistics?
RexRed

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Starcraft 2 is by far the best strategy game ever made to date. I expect new games will be made from its AI and graphics game engine for years to come. It is the type of game where you have a base and out of that base you make workers to mine resources (minerals and vespene gas). As your resources climb you climb in your military population and technology. Eventually you clash with either a computer or a human player. There are three factions, Terran, Zerg and Protoss the player chooses which faction they will play as a skirmish commences. A player can either play skirmishes or the main campaign. The main campaign gradually teaches the player the various units and how they function and ultimately how to skirmish. It is not like World of Warcraft at all where there are no monthly fees for playing and it is not role playing as in first person character. Instead of running a character, as in WOW, and their possessions you run a city and its population. A Starcraft game typically starts out on a certain map. The maps are detailed like none so far to date, the best game graphics engine ever created. I have yet to play a skirmish myself because I am still learning the units in the campaign. I can say so far that Blizzard did not disappoint. The story line is great and the game play is fantastic. I have always preferred strategy games over role playing games. I will be playing Starcarft a lot the and overall game experience I rate a five out of five stars.
engineer

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:23 am
@RexRed,
I generally love these types of games, but I never tried SC1. Can you play this one without SC1 experience? This is PC based, right?
RexRed

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:36 am
@engineer,
The learning curve for these types of games comes only if you have never played a game like this before. This is not like the civilization type games. In civilization you move all of you game unites a certain amount of spaces then you signal your turn is over then you opponents move their units and so on. Thus the name turn based strategy. Starcraft is an open real time strategy game where everyone advances together. If you have ever played the games, age of empires, rise of nations, generals, empire earth, tiberium wars, to name a few, then your learning curve won't be as great in learning Starcraft. The best fun about Starcraft2 is learning how to play the game where the campaigns progress at your own pace. Once the campaign is over you may want to revisit it again at a harder setting. The campaigns are hours of single player enjoyment with lush story telling and breathtaking movie cut scenes. Once you feel confident with your single player abilities then you enter the online multi-player arena where skirmishes are waged.

Yes Starcraft is a PC game and quite pricy... 59 us dollars... I thought I would wait till the price went down to buy it but I don't know that will happen anytime soon so I forked up teh 60 bucks and I am SOOoooo glad i did.

I am not the type of gamer that can play solitaire or Mah Jung, tetris, bejewled, or shoot the bubbles etc. They bore me in minutes.

Only a game like Starcraft's real-time strategy can capture my attention for hours on end. That is a 60 dollars well spent in my book.

Starcraft works best on a dual core vista machine or better.

If you only have a single core cpu with XP then i suggest you look into the recommended minimum requirements for the game online to function right on your computer. You can download the game from Blizzard and pay by online credit card or buy a hard copy DVD at any video game retailer store.

If anyone gets the game come here and we can discuss our own experiences with the campaign and online multi-player modes. I played Starcraft1 over ten years ago when it first came out, I still play Starcraft1 but Starcraft2 is just awesome. Ten years in the making by the largest game makers in the world, Starcraft2 is the best real-time strategy game experience on the planet.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:47 am
interesting, i already play this real time strategy game, called Everyday Life
RexRed

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@djjd62,
Hmmm I just googled "Everyday Life" game and nothing came up are you talking about city life? Do you have a web link for everyday life? It sounds more like a city building game rather than a RTS (real time strategy). Starcraft is a city building game but the objective is to build a city which comprises of only a few buildings, then, mass troops (ground and air) then go into battle or, some players like to rush at the beginning of the game with a handful of early though less skilled troops.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:45 pm
Still loving this Starcraft 2 game, trudging my way through the campaigns and enjoying every minute of it. I did not really trust that blizzard (the game makers) were going to successfully recreate as fun a game as the first Starcraft but so far I am really impressed! When I think of defeating the campaigns in the first Starcraft game a euphoria comes over me and I am feeling that same feeling with this new game.

Heading off to play it now. Smile

If anyone does get this game (Starcraft 2) please leave your comments.
0 Replies