in their own write

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:59 pm
If you're a college freshman this fall, the Beloit College Mindset List says you can't write cursive.

roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:02 pm
@dyslexia,
They are probably right.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:20 pm
@dyslexia,
**** them

see what i did there
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:39 pm
What do you mean? I gotta print? you can't read my cursive?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:44 pm
@dyslexia,
You're kidding.

No, I suppose you aren't. What would Lennon say?

Well, they may be right, as who can anymore. I still need to start my old postcard thread, such great penmanship..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
@dyslexia,
You going back to college, dys?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@djjd62,
This makes me sad.

One sunny day some basic cable under the sea is broken.

No one can write a note.

I do cursive and printing and a tad of calligraphy, but my usual notes are sloppily cursive. The communication loss is too bad, as learning any of them doesn't take all that long for the awake, and the hand control is a useful capability. It might even lead to, egads, drawing.
sumac

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:56 pm
I believe this is true. Just when did they stop teaching it as penmanship?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
i print write, some weird hybrid of printing and cursive thats mostly indecipherable

i also mix upper and lowercase letters at random

at a corporate seminar i attended, there was a woman who did handwriting analysis, i made her day
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:05 pm
@djjd62,
I do print write too. Mixing capitals is out of my area..
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

**** them

see what i did there

http://i38.tinypic.com/wjmew.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
My drafting/lettering teacher was very particular. He would underline an ok letter with a red line, a good one with two, and an excellent one with three.
Lettering wasn't all of it in that class, but it was what we spent most time on. Back then, speed lettering was a key tool.

Some time later he was and still is a pal of mine. His natural writing is sort of miserable, to be truthful. He had learned precision and taught it.

Adds, he has for years identified the flora in a lot of wilderness and drawn what he saw. All that lettering helped his hand eye connection.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:12 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i print write, some weird hybrid of printing and cursive thats mostly indecipherable

i also mix upper and lowercase letters at random

Are you my long lost twin brother? My writing is pretty much the exact same thing... a weird hybrid of printing and cursive thats mostly indecipherable.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:51 pm
@dyslexia,
I write normally (as opposed to dj and tsar, ha) but I sometimes write with a forward slant, sometimes more straight up... sometimes sloppy, sometimes I take pride in my writing... same thing with numbers. Depends if I'm in a hurry or a thoughtful move. And I studied handwriting (forgot a lot) so I'm aware when letters I write don't have a loop or don't go very high or the t isn't crossed correctly... it all depends on the situation.

I like to call my writing style "versatile" Smile
dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
@Mame,
and you think I care about your penmanship? get real!
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:05 pm
I write a lot per hand and I write exclusively in cursive - I like it a lot too!
My daughter - probably having seen her mother write a lot in cursive - does
it too. She prints for her teachers as they apparently like it that way, but privately she writes in cursive and I encourage it as well.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:48 pm
@dyslexia,
Yeah, I know that's not what gets you, Dyssie. It's my inimitable conversational style, isn't it?
Gargamel

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:52 am
When I write notes I typically just cut the characters I need out of newspapers and magazines. This sounds painstaking but the notes are brief and to the point and difficult to trace.
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:00 am
@Gargamel,
the woman who did the handwriting analysis said many good things about me and my individuality, but somewhere in her voice was a tone of, "this is the first guy i'm turning into the cops if hookers start disappearing"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@Mame,
of course not dear, it's your boobs. If I schedule a "play date" will you let me take your bra off?