Why are people so stupid?

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 03:59 pm
mac11, I'm guessing that there is not Fleur de Sel or Sel Gris in the KFC mixture, but there is most likely celery salt, garlic salt, onion salt....you know, your average bitter stuff.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
What the hell are you stupid bastards talking about?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:23 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
What the hell are you stupid bastards talking about?

Case in point SlapDog!

Geeks 1:25 "And by the nonsensical ravings on the bulletin boards shall the stupid reveal themselves"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
Wot?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:42 pm
Yottos wrote:
Quote:
No, I don't engage in ad hominem arguments. That sounds like something you would do.

And what evidence of this do you have? I never once said you used an ad Hominum nor did I direct one at you. So it appears you have fallen into a fallacy my unbelievably logical friend. I cant remember the name, but it's something along the lines of drawing the wrong conclusion or basing fact off of no information. I'm sure you know to what I am referring to.

I'll give you a hint, Yottos: it's called an "ad hominem fallacy."

See, I said that I don't engage in ad hominem arguments, and then I immediately followed that statement with an ad hominem argument. That's what's known as irony. It was a joke. I guess you didn't get it.

For your sake, Yottos, I'll try to type slower from now on.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:43 pm
Mmmm....ad hominy....make nice gumbo......
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:47 pm
Yottos wrote:
Roger, zeros serve as place holders so they are in fact something..

Oh, gawd! I just feel sooo stuuuupid!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:52 pm
And that ends the discussion. Why are people stupid? Because when someone accuses them of being stupid they assume a self-fulfilling prophecy and become stupid. As a defense against stupidity they add humor and the resulting mixture is percieved as wit and confused as intelligence.

Stupid people are the ones who try to act stupid in any situation even if they really aren't.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:13 pm
Then why don't you stop?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:30 pm
Stop what?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:33 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Then why don't you stop?

Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:59 pm
Individual wrote:
Stop what?

And we have a winner!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:26 pm
A weiner? Well, they are often made with at least some salt but otherwise you really don't want to know how they're made. Because, as we all know or at least show pretend to know, people who love the law or sausages shouldn't watch either being made.

Now, joefromthecityofbigshoulders, the problem with 12 as the mystical doughnut (or bagel) number, is that they are often sold in baker's dozens which as cav or anyone who either cooks or eats or enjoys doughnuts or can pretend to be able to correctly spell doughnut knows, is 13 and not 12. Hence, we have a prime number and not a palindrome. However, it is a 7 (Mantle) plus a 5 (DiMaggio) plus a 1 (the extra I in Nieves), which all leads us full circle or diamond-like and yanno diamonds are a girl's best friend but a man's best friend is a dog. So I say, if you enjoy dogs with diamond-encrusted collars, does that mean you have gender confusion? Are you, perhaps, a switch hitter, as it were? That could also mean you're Mickey Mantle but in that case you'd be as dead as the poor Colonel.

Ad hominems, much like hominey grits, stick to the ribs and should be smothered in syrup and not chicken-fried steak-type gravy as the gravy is loaded with cholesterol and your arteries will be screaming bloody murder before breakfast is over. Reductio ad absurdum, quod erat demonstratum, in personum jurisdiction, and any other fractured Latin I can think of.

PS Why do lawyers use Latin?

Answer: To charge more. E pluribus unum and all that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:40 pm
This thread is a riot!
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:07 pm
Re: Why are people so stupid?
joefromchicago wrote:
Individual wrote:
From Colonel Sanders to Mighty Mouse, nobody escapes the temptation of stupidity.

Colonel Sanders, I think we can safely say, is no longer capable of being stupid, unless one wants to argue that the total absence of brain function (a regrettable, but totally predictable sequela to the colonel's demise in 1980) constitutes "stupidity." Likewise, we can, with some confidence, say that Mighty Mouse, as a fictional cartoon character, is also incapable of being "stupid," at least in the conventional sense of the term.

And if we posit Colonel Sanders and Mighty Mouse as end points on a continuum or spectrum of stupidity (as is suggested by the phrase "from Colonel Sanders to Mighty Mouse"), then presumably the examples encompassed in this range are no more stupid than the extremes represented by the two end points. Thus, if Colonel Sanders and Mighty Mouse are both equally incapable of being stupid (although for different reasons), then we can assume that those individuals bracketed by the Colonel and the Mouse are likewise not stupid.

Of course, the Colonel-Mouse range may enclose a null set, a club with no members. Such a result, however, would cast doubt on the initial choice of the Colonel and the Mouse as representing the end points of a "spectrum of stupidity," and thus, perforce, it would cast some doubt on the intelligence of the person choosing them as exemplars of stupidity.

In sum, I think this question deserves more thorough research, and I am applying to the NEH for a grant to study this in depth. The tentative title of my research proposal is: "The Mouse that Clucked: Heuristic Modelling Processes Based on Fictional Rodents and Informed by Seven Secret Herbs and Spices."

This is without a doubt among the most intelligent, and most hilarious things I have ever read.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:01 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Individual wrote:
Stop what?

And we have a winner!

Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
jespah: Wieners? Now we're in some very tricky philosophical territory. The best wieners, as everyone knows, are Chicago-style hot dogs, which are made by the Vienna Sausage Company. But a "Wiener" is also a citizen of Vienna (German: "Wien"), and so a Vienna Wiener is nothing more than a redundancy, and a repetitive redundancy at that. In concept it is that which double-backs and bites itself in its proverbial bun, it is a metaphorical hot dog chasing its own tail, much like the tigers who, in furiously chasing each other around a tree, turned into butter. But there is no butter in a Chicago-style hot dog, yet there is celery salt, in much the same way as Colonel Sanders put eleven different kinds of salt in his batter, and there are seven toppings on a Chicago-style dog (mustard, relish, onions, pickle slice, celery salt, tomato wedge, sport pepper), and thus we are brought back to the mystic seven-eleven combination.

So, what have we learned so far?
  • Although neither is "stupid" in the conventional sense, I'd bet that Mighty Mouse could kick Colonel Sanders's ass;
  • Mighty Mouse and Mickey Mantle share the same initials, but Mighty Mouse could never handle the curve ball;
  • If you find that you've just asked an undercover Cincinnati vice-cop to join you for a "three-way," explain to her that you were merely offering to buy her some chili;
  • If you think ad hominem arguments are valid, then you're an idiot;
  • The doughnut is the symbol for infinity: the doughnut hole, in contrast, comes in boxes of 24;
  • And seven is a lucky number up until the point where you're trying to make a hard eight, then its craps.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
We have also learned, joefromtheBestPictureOscar(TM)Winnerof2002, that
  • sauerkraut is, for some unknown reason, not in the Chicago dog's list of the mystical seven toppings, a fact which might be actionable in a Viennese court, where there might be a Viennese table, and that reminds me that I haven't eaten yet
  • Grey salt is the same color as the skies over Brighton
  • Ad hominems are used by the dumb, clueless and those who can't figure out the joke. I feel for them.
  • A bagel is not a stale doughnut, and you shouldn't put lox on a stale doughnut, no matter how odd you are
  • Colonel Sanders and his band of merry followers has, within recorded memory, never attempted to sell a doughnut or a bagel, not even to Mighty Mouse
  • If Mantle hits 2.5416666 boxes of doughnut holes out of the park, will the record go into the books as 61* (or maybe 61o with o referring to the dougnuts from which the holes were obtain). And, if that's the case, will the estate of the esteemed Roger Maris get upset?
  • All of the snow in the universe is hitting the Northeast, and right now I can't find my car and I think a few of my neighbors are missing. Should I be worried?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:34 pm
This has been incredibly more entertaining than actually debating anything.
0 Replies