Can we save the brown bats please?

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 09:53 am
Quote:
Horrible fungus driving bug-loving brown bats to extinction
Tiny brown bats are in danger of going extinct in the Northeast, with a white nose fungus blamed for killing millions of the animals.
By Pete Spotts, Staff writer / August 6, 2010

Boston
A small, hibernating brown bat with a big appetite for bugs – including farm pests and mosquitoes – is in danger of going extinct in the American Northeast.

For the rest of the worrisome article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2010/0806/Horrible-fungus-driving-bug-loving-brown-bats-to-extinction
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,739 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I still see bats at night around here, but I don't know what type they are. Some of them seem pretty large. I wonder if the Large Brown Bat population is increasing as the Small Brown Bats decline.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm
@rosborne979,
I hope that some kind of bat species is thriving in the region. When I last lived in Ashland and Framingham, I flirted with the idea of putting up a homemade or bought bat house so I could attract bats to the area.
http://www.biconet.com/lures/GIFs/batHouse.jpg
I think they kind of cool plus they eat a lot of mosquitoes and other nasty bugs.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:49 pm
I had been unaware of this fungus until now. Of course, efforts should be made to prevent the extinction of the species. Perhaps antiiotics or find some way to destroy the fungus.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 01:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
it's weird, i listen to Coast to Coast AM, mostly for the entertainment value, but they were on the bat and bee story, almost a year before the mainstream media

hope something gets done soon
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 03:39 pm
@djjd62,
Bees are stabilizing but the white nose disease is decimating the cave and social bats. (Myotis sodalis and sodalis lucifigus) These bats live in huge clusters so disease can wipe out a whole herd in days.

The other myotenes like townsendii the long eared bat has been declining for thirty or more years (I used to qwork as a bat bander for some pHd candiddate at Princeton while that student helped me in my research also. It was a good trade and we all learned. Bat banders have been very careful about the practice ever since the fungus started showing up about 5 years ago. West Virginia, Virgibia, Pa, and mAryland have been really hit.

Fortunately there are many species of non -socia; bats on whom the disease isnt as widespread (yet)

Pa State honeybee programs and the U of MAryland Apiary SCience guys have been reporting some cautious optimism in the colony collapse. They said that CCS was actually several overlapping diseases. And this summers heat has been actually good for keeping one of the syndrome partners at bay.
That was all in the Lancaster Farming Newspaper.
0 Replies

jpreeo

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:18 pm
I would like to help . But when it comes to bilding a house I can't find alot of info. I also have lived where thare are a lot of thes littel cuttes and injoid them veary much .But now I live in grove OK and do not see any of them and I think that it would help out all of them and us . If I could get some kind of info on all of the needs of the Brown bat so I can do my share If I can.
0 Replies