This is a very hard one, its not the obvious answer!

shaq

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:49 pm
Three very very smart guys are sitting in a room making a straight line each facing and seeing only what is in front of him. The first can only see the wall, the second can only see the first person and the third can see both of them.
Another person comes in the room with five hats, two back and three white. He places them randomly on each of their heads and takes the other two hats left and leaves the room. They cannot see what hat they have on but they must find out ,and when they do they must speak. After a long time one of them speaks and says i am 100 percent sure what colour my hat is.
The question is who spoke and whats his hat colour?
make sure to include explanation to how he was sure he was right.
It takes some time, feel free to ask me for hints or clues. Everything in bold is an important clue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,234 • Replies: 14
No top replies

zex

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:14 pm
Um...do they know what colors all of the possible hats were?
0 Replies

shaq

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:16 pm
yes they know that there were 2 blacks and 3 whites to start with....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:20 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=620
0 Replies

shaq

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
Oh srry about that i didnt see it, although this is a different way and harder since less clues are given
0 Replies

shaq

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
It wouldnt hurt to revive it though
0 Replies

frankemp

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:52 pm
solved
the hat was white, becouse he was the third person that could see the other 2 people and they had the 2 black hat's on so it had to be white
0 Replies

frankemp

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:56 pm
Re: This is a very hard one, its not the obvious answer!
shaq wrote:
Three very very smart guys are sitting in a room making a straight line each facing and seeing only what is in front of him. The first can only see the wall, the second can only see the first person and the third can see both of them.
Another person comes in the room with five hats, two back and three white. He places them randomly on each of their heads and takes the other two hats left and leaves the room. They cannot see what hat they have on but they must find out ,and when they do they must speak. After a long time one of them speaks and says i am 100 percent sure what colour my hat is.
The question is who spoke and whats his hat colour?
make sure to include explanation to how he was sure he was right.
It takes some time, feel free to ask me for hints or clues. Everything in bold is an important clue.

hat was white 3rd person saw it and he saw the other 2 had on a black hat.so his had to be white
0 Replies

frankemp

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
why is every one saying RED hat its [black&white]
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:37 pm
Line A: The third person can see two black hats!
If A were true he would know immediately that he had a white hat. We are told that the answer took a long time so line A cannot be true.

Line B: The second person can see one black hat!
He can reason, as above, that line A cannot be true and that he and the first person cannot both have black hats. Therefore if the second person can see one black hat, he must have a white hat. We can assume that this would also not take a long time, so Line B cannot be true.

Line C: The First person cannot have a black hat if lines A and B are both untrue.
He can reason, as above, that line A and line B cannot be true and he must therefore have a white hat.

But why would line C take "a long time" time if all three are "very very smart"? That is the part that makes me feel I have missed something!

And would the first person, who is after all "very very smart" be 100% sure when his reasoniong relies on the reasoning ability of the others? 100%? Not according to my solution. (e.g. neither the first or second person can see the third person so he could have dropped dead, gone to sleep, or just be in no hurry to give the answer. The first person cannot see the second person, so the same could apply to him. These possibilities are real and finite so there must be some possibility that the first person is wrong) So again I feel I have missed something!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:52 pm
The guy next to the wall knows his hat is white because nobody else has spoken.

i.e. to say nothing, the guy at the back must be seeing either 2 whites or 1 black/1 white. The middle one knows this and since he does not speak it follows that he must be looking at white otherwise he would be sure his own was white.

NB This relies on the axiom that all three guys know the original ratio of 3:2 which may not have been stated above.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:09 pm
Sorry Craven....I didn't spot the link.
0 Replies

frankemp

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
where do i find the answer from
0 Replies

frankemp

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:17 pm
where do i find the answer from
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:30 pm
Frankemp

Kraven's link (see above) leads to the answer, Fresco has answered it (see above) and I have answered it (see above).

Help yourself; one of those explanations must be right for you.
0 Replies