Are pay stubs mandatory

kal10

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 09:34 am
Can my employer stop taking off taxes and is it mandatory for him to give me a pay stub?

The full story:

I'm not a contractor, I'm an employee, I've been working at this company since October of 07. I've been getting a pay stub auntil last week, I didn't get a pay stub. I asked if any of my other coworkers got one and they said no and that maybe our boss isn't taking off any taxes. Thus my secon question: Can my employer stop taking of taxes? If so, what does that mean for me when I file my T4 slip? I want to approach my boss about this ASAP but I don't know about this stuff and I don't want to look like an idiot.

I live in Brampton, Ontario Canada

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,347 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 09:38 am
@kal10,
I can't answer for Canada, but I can't imagine that things are that different.

If this happened in the US, I would be very suspicious that something was crooked. I bet there is someplace in Ontario that you could get a free legal consultation, you should at least know what the risks are to you (in the US the employer pays a part of the payroll tax--- if I were in your position I would worry that I might be liable for that).

kal10

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 09:45 am
@ebrown p,
Thank you so much for your reply
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:58 am
How do you get paid, cash? And you've been getting a stub with the payenvelope?

Maybe the office was just out of pay stubs. Stop asking your co-workers who don't know any more that you do. Just calmly ask your boss. Tell him you noticed not getting the stub and that you need it for your records.
Joe(It might be nothing at all.)Nation

kal10

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 11:13 am
@Joe Nation,
I get paid by cheque (cheque at the top with stub attached on the bottom) in an envelope... That's how I've always been getting them until last week just a cheque but no stub. It may very well be nothing, but if it is something, I would like to be prepared when I approach him about it (like I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on these things).

Thanks for your input
roger

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@kal10,
Like ebrown, I can only provide an answer for the US. Yes, you must have a pay stub, even if your pay is being direct deposited. That pay stub must detail all taxes deducted from the check, and I believe it must also account for all other deductions.

If you start getting the check stubs in the future, do some arithmetic and make sure the proper taxes have been withheld. Again, in the US, you are liable for payroll taxes like Social Security and Medicare. If the employer does not report and pay them, they will collect from you at some time in the future.

I'll repeat myself and say that this is an answer specifically for the US, and might not apply to Canada.
kal10

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
@roger,
Thaks for your input
0 Replies