Should cheerleading be a sport?

roger

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@Thomas,
So, the cheerleading squad and debate team could meet the standard if both were organized and competitive. Our high school has a competitive dance team, entirely separate from cheerleading.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Having read Title IX, as well as the judge's full opinion, I actually think the judge's classification is apt. I'm getting a sense that from the veiwpoint of gender discrimination, college sports aren't really about physical exercise. Instead, they are about two other things: (1) access to a college education through athletic scholarships, and (2) representing ones college to the rest of the world.

(1) Practically all colleges are covered by Title IX, but only some colleges offer athletic scholarships. NCAA Division III schools, for instance, are prohibited from offering athletic scholarships to their students. Consequently, college sports can't be about athletic scholarships.

(2) Representing the school is certainly one aspect of sports, but then the debate club does that too, and debate isn't a sport. Although physical activity isn't necessary if one wants to represent the school, it's necessary if one wants to represent the school as an athlete.

Of course, Title IX applies to the debate club too, it's just that those types of non-athletic clubs are already open to both sexes -- it's not as if Title IX is forcing a college to decide whether to drop the debate club for male students in order to have a sewing club for female students. Sports are different because the teams are segregated for the purposes of competition. Male teams, in other words, only play other male teams, and female teams only play other female teams. That's why Title IX has particular relevance to college athletics. It's the last bastion of officially sanctioned sexual segregation.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:08 pm
Way to ruin my moment of getting in touch with my inner liberal.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, the cheerleading squad and debate team could meet the standard if both were organized and competitive. Our high school has a competitive dance team, entirely separate from cheerleading.

I don't see why competitive dancing shouldn't be a sport. It's not that different from figure skating, which undoubtedly is. On the other hand, joefromchicago's point still applies: Dancing isn't gender segregated, so probably wouldn't cause a Title-IX dilemma for the school.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:22 pm
@Thomas,
Snort, I got a B- in dancing..

Well deserved, may I add.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:08 am
@Thomas,
If you want to join the Kelly Green team at Farmington High, you will be a girl.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 07:22 am
I can't decide if cheerleading is a sport or not.
Now i will have to spend hours watching videos of young pretty girls in very short skirts bouncing all about the place to help me decide.
Damn!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 08:11 am
Frank DeFord on NPR this morning.
Quote:

This brings us to cheerleading. Is it a sport? It can be a very vigorous activity — even dangerous, when cheerleaders fall. But of course, there is a particular form of cheerleading distinguished by halter tops and pompoms and is simply titillation.

While I'm all for being titillated, that is not a sport.

In schools, though, there are cheerleading matches, with scores, not pompoms. I judged a national collegiate cheerleading competition once. It was an eclectic panel. Dr. Joyce Brothers was next to me. It seemed like a sport to us.

But now a federal judge has ruled that cheerleading is not yet a real sport, even though 64,000 high school girls are registered in "competitive spirit squads."
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:44 am
@Thomas,
And don't forget "Ice Dancing"
0 Replies

cierrameghann

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 09:38 am
@joefromchicago,
I think cheer leading is indeed a sport!
there is a lot of endurance and if it wasn't a sport anyone would
be able to do it! (even flying)
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 03:50 am
@cierrameghann,
So is competition soil judging. Its a requirement for agronomy students at all land grant colleges.

GO DIRT!!

ALSO ROS
Quote:
If Pole-Dancing is going into the Olympics, then Cheerleading should be a sport.
I happen to take resentful displeasure at your obviously racist slur.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:23 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
But now a federal judge has ruled that cheerleading is not yet a real sport, even though 64,000 high school girls are registered in "competitive spirit squads."

Buffaloes do "competitive spirit squads." I've seen a film of it. The females prance about on the periphery and when the two males smack into each other forehead first at full speed all the female tails suddenly go vertical.
0 Replies

anky2930

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 06:22 am
In my opinion it can be a sport definitely because it also require efforts and practice like all other games.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:04 pm
Cheer leading is entertainment not a sport. This is easily decerned by outfitting and lack of scoring/competition. Most similar to night club female entertainment clearly not sportworthy behavior.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:16 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
bunnyhabit wrote:

Cheer leading is entertainment not a sport. This is easily decerned [sic] by outfitting and lack of scoring/competition. Most similar to night club female entertainment clearly not sportworthy behavior.

You're not particularly aware of much.
Quote:
This is easily decerned [sic] by outfitting and lack of scoring/competition.

There are hundreds of statewide and national cheerleading competitions in the United States alone.

You definitely won't qualify for the search engine Olympics if such a simple internet search could answer the question that you failed to answer in the first place:
New York State high school sponsored:
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association Inc;

National High School Cheerleading Championship

There are literally thousands of videos on Youtube that prove that they exist.
0 Replies

Lolioas

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2019 06:16 am
@joefromchicago,
without cheerleading i have not see basket
0 Replies