your thoughts on a new thought

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
Let us be to others only what we give, and to ourselves only what we take.
or
Let me be to others only what I give, but to me, only what I take.

this removes the martyrd satisfaction of giving, swapping it for the more human selfishness .. in a call to finding where the two truely meet. i'd suggest a great musician follows a similar principal (beethoven, hendrix ...) and therefore is an example of where others are getting direct enjoyment, as is "I", which I suggest is the type of action we should search for. a healthy reciprocal relationship.

in this example I suggest what the musician 'takes' is the music he himself is producing, not the adoration which great musicians often claim is an unhealthy huge mental distraction, and an obstacle to be avoided. could this thought breed great people?

- a thought on humility and ultimately enjoyment, ridding the over-sentimental acceptance of gratitude we see in people who are past it. a call to live generously, enjoyably and humbly all at once.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:29 pm
@domlawrence,
I like it. One thought about people's gratitude: if you gave somebody something they really needed, you should accept their gratitude. Like Jung said: when a person is thanking you, it can be coming from deep within them to whatever filled their need. If they hand that to you, it may be that you realize that it's just that your face is stamped on a much bigger phenomenon that you're part of.

Nevertheless, if you've been in that situation of not knowing how to put words to the gratitude you feel toward someone, you know: just say "you're welcome." Very Happy
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:53 pm
Whatever one human does to bring happiness or hope to another is a positive - whether the giver has alterior motives for it.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:06 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

I like it. One thought about people's gratitude: if you gave somebody something they really needed, you should accept their gratitude. Like Jung said: when a person is thanking you, it can be coming from deep within them to whatever filled their need. If they hand that to you, it may be that you realize that it's just that your face is stamped on a much bigger phenomenon that you're part of.

Nevertheless, if you've been in that situation of not knowing how to put words to the gratitude you feel toward someone, you know: just say "you're welcome." Very Happy
Thank you!
Arjuna

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Thank you!

You're welcome. Your post is still stuck to my lamp shade.
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:23 pm
@domlawrence,
domlawrence wrote:

Let us be to others only what we give, and to ourselves only what we take.
or
Let me be to others only what I give, but to me, only what I take.

this removes the martyrd satisfaction of giving, swapping it for the more human selfishness .. in a call to finding where the two truely meet. i'd suggest a great musician follows a similar principal (beethoven, hendrix ...) and therefore is an example of where others are getting direct enjoyment, as is "I", which I suggest is the type of action we should search for. a healthy reciprocal relationship.

Quote:
in this example I suggest what the musician 'takes' is the music he himself is producing, not the adoration which great musicians often claim is an unhealthy huge mental distraction, and an obstacle to be avoided. could this thought breed great people?

perhaps

[ quote] a thought on humility and ultimately enjoyment, ridding the over-sentimental acceptance of gratitude we see in people who are past it. a call to live generously, enjoyably and humbly all at once.
[/quote]

sure

but also not to forget the without , which extends beyond our solar system

we must ultimately depend on every Human Being on this planet Earth for Humanity to survive

for infinity

north

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:34 pm
@domlawrence,
Sounds like an ultimate fail philosophy, even worse than communism, people are different, and we as society rely on people working hard, working for goals, working for profit, working for family and friends, working to learn.
..etc!
0 Replies