What is a concept ?

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:34 pm
A concept can refer to any number of things; from a preconceived set of notions outlining an ideal to an empirically derived set of variables outlining a given condition. A concept can even be outside human experience-ability-comprehension.

One of the few things that can be said with some surety is that a concept tends to outline-circumscribe (successfully or otherwise).
ACB

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:20 pm
@mickalos,
mickalos wrote:
ACB wrote:
mickalos wrote:
I want to say that what differentiates somebody who does and somebody who doesn't understand the concept of a chilagon is not any particular mental state, but how they go on to apply the concept.

This is behaviourism, as propounded by Ryle in The Concept of Mind.

Absolutely not. If you ask me whether there is a difference between pain behaviour with pain, and pain behaviour without pain, what would you expect me to say? No? That would be absurd, what greater difference could there be?

So pain is independent of pain behaviour. What, then, is this independent thing "pain", if not an inner process?
mickalos wrote:
However, if you were to ask me whether it would be possible that I might look outside, see everybody walking around in a perfectly normal way, and yet for them actually to be in tremendous pain, I should say, only if they were doing a very good job of suppressing their pain behaviour.

Some of them could be in mild pain. But if they are not exhibiting pain behaviour, there isn't any pain behaviour for them to suppress. There's only the (inner) pain itself.
mickalos wrote:
All I deny is the things I we call remembering, pain, believing, intending, etc. (and, indeed, concepts), are not conceptually understood correctly as they are described in the cartesian picture, as private inner processes. An "inner process" stands in need of outward criteria, otherwise, how are we to talk about them at all?

But this seems to conflict with what you have said above (in the quote beginning "Absolutely not...")
mickalos wrote:
Quote:
I have several problems with this view:
1. I know from direct experience that my understanding a concept is a different state from my not understanding it. And this is true even while I am not "applying" the concept.

How do you know it from direct experience? You most certainly not do know it from private introspection: imagine working your way through a maths textbook on your own, and then you are given a list of problems to work on, and you duly answer them. How will you know that you have understood, i.e. got the correct answers, without reference to some kind of public criterion of correctness? You cannot check your answers against your own mathematical knowledge, because whatever seems right to you is exactly what you are going to take to be right.

Certainly, one can tell when one doesn't know where to begin, but one cannot tell when one correctly understands.

But even believing I understand a concept feels different (i.e. is a different inner state) from believing I do not understand a concept. So my point still stands.
mickalos wrote:
Quote:
2. Suppose two people learn about a chilagon, and some time later one of them applies the concept correctly and the other incorrectly. If they are not in different (mental) states between the time of learning and the time of application, how can the difference in their application of the concept be explained?

Is learning how to do something to suddenly acquire a new mental state? When does a child who learns how to read utter his first word in his new state? Perhaps he is only pretending to read until he utters his first fifty correct words? Clearly, this would be absurd. When one is the master of a technique, one no more needs to be in a particular mental state to perform it than one needs to be in a particular mental state to successfully walk down a street.

Sorry, I do not understand how these are not mental states. There must be some objective neurological property (with both a physical and a mental aspect) that a person possesses continuously between the time of learning a concept and successfully applying it. And this property must be lacking in someone who cannot apply the concept. Otherwise, the causal link between learning and application would be broken. There must be some continuous temporal link between cause and effect.
mickalos wrote:
Quote:
4. It may be that someone never has occasion to "apply" a particular concept they have learned. Must we then say that it is neither true nor false that they understand it?

Of course not, but if somebody does have occasion to apply a concept, and they apply it incorrectly, then they do not understand and they never did, regardless of any mental picture they have. You need to be able to use the concepts you have learned, otherwise you clearly do not understand.

Even before they have occasion to apply the concept, it is either the case that they understand it or that they do not. (They are not in an indefinite state like Schrödinger's Cat.) So there must be some persistent physical and mental quality within them that makes this fact true.
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:43 pm
@ACB,
What matters about the verbalization of the word "pain" (or any other concept) are the social consequences. From those alone do we attribute "correct usage" or otherwise.

A typical "mistake" in UK English, is the confusion of "borrow" and "lend". A child will typically say to another "can I lend your pen ?" meaning "can I borrow your pen ?". And since the other child is used to the same usage, he hands over the pen (or says "no") without comment. There are no social consequences and the "incorrect usage" remains established.

Now in the case of the verbalization "I am in pain"...this only matters to a third party in deciding what to do about it. Questions of treatment, sympathy, honesty of the speaker may come into play but NOT whether the speaker "understands the concept".

So once more, I argue that "concepts" reflect the predominance of "reality as a social construction" by virtue of the sociolinguistic nature of those concepts. They imply interactions not states of existence.
mickalos

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:26 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:

mickalos wrote:
ACB wrote:
mickalos wrote:
I want to say that what differentiates somebody who does and somebody who doesn't understand the concept of a chilagon is not any particular mental state, but how they go on to apply the concept.

This is behaviourism, as propounded by Ryle in The Concept of Mind.

Absolutely not. If you ask me whether there is a difference between pain behaviour with pain, and pain behaviour without pain, what would you expect me to say? No? That would be absurd, what greater difference could there be?

So pain is independent of pain behaviour. What, then, is this independent thing "pain", if not an inner process?

Let me make it quite clear that I do not want to reduce mental states to behaviour, but nor do I want to reduce mental states to some kind of inner mental object. I do not want to reduce anything, except the amount of misjudged reductionism in philosophy. When you see somebody thrashing around on the floor, you cannot point to the thrashing and say, "This is merely behaviour, the pain is on the inside". It is not a matter of 'here is behaviour, there is pain - they just happen to be associated', rather the thrashing is a manifestation of pain, it is integral the the concept.

Can you imagine somebody sitting down and calmly telling you, "I am in the most excruciating pain at present"? You might think them to be speaking metaphorically, but when you ask them what they mean they say, "My right arm. I didn't know such pain was possible." He then pours you a cup with his right hand. This, I think, is not an epistemic problem of being able to tell whether or not our tete-a-tete is pain-filled, but a rather a question of conceptual clarification. The person we are talking about here could no more be in pain, than somebody who falls onto a fire could be pretending to be in pain.
Quote:

mickalos wrote:
However, if you were to ask me whether it would be possible that I might look outside, see everybody walking around in a perfectly normal way, and yet for them actually to be in tremendous pain, I should say, only if they were doing a very good job of suppressing their pain behaviour.

Some of them could be in mild pain. But if they are not exhibiting pain behaviour, there isn't any pain behaviour for them to suppress. There's only the (inner) pain itself.

First of all, I'd say that mild pain has mild outward criteria (winces, touching the part of your body where the pain is, etc.), but something more fundamenally wrong suggests itself. I can't really make sense of "there is only the inner pain". If you tell me you are in pain (the avowal itself being a manifestation of your pain), and I ask you where it is, what are you to say? You might say, it is just in my mind, but you don't mean to say that you aren't really in pain, even less that you have a headache. You might tell me that you just have a general pain feeling, but you don't mean that you hurt all over.

I get the impression that you want to analyse having a pain in one's arm, for example, along the lines of there being some kind of private mental object, which then has a various effects on my arm, and perhaps other parts of my body; my vocal chords, tear ducts, etc. This just seems strange to me. Of course, do feel free to correct me.

Quote:

mickalos wrote:

How do you know it from direct experience? You most certainly not do know it from private introspection: imagine working your way through a maths textbook on your own, and then you are given a list of problems to work on, and you duly answer them. How will you know that you have understood, i.e. got the correct answers, without reference to some kind of public criterion of correctness? You cannot check your answers against your own mathematical knowledge, because whatever seems right to you is exactly what you are going to take to be right.

Certainly, one can tell when one doesn't know where to begin, but one cannot tell when one correctly understands.

But even believing I understand a concept feels different (i.e. is a different inner state) from believing I do not understand a concept. So my point still stands.

Do you get the feeling that you believe you understand the English language every time you open your mouth? The feeling that you believe you understand mathematics every time you shop for groceries? I certainly don't. Indeed, I have many beliefs at the moment, perhaps there are many more that I could not recall than those that I could, and yet the only feeling I have at present is the feeling of being at my computer typing (is this a mental object?!). Certainly, a feeling may accompany an avowal or manifestation of a belief, for example, an atheist may become fearful on a Sunday when he stays at home, but this feeling is hardly constitutive of the belief.

Quote:
mickalos wrote:
Quote:
2. Suppose two people learn about a chilagon, and some time later one of them applies the concept correctly and the other incorrectly. If they are not in different (mental) states between the time of learning and the time of application, how can the difference in their application of the concept be explained?

Is learning how to do something to suddenly acquire a new mental state? When does a child who learns how to read utter his first word in his new state? Perhaps he is only pretending to read until he utters his first fifty correct words? Clearly, this would be absurd. When one is the master of a technique, one no more needs to be in a particular mental state to perform it than one needs to be in a particular mental state to successfully walk down a street.

Sorry, I do not understand how these are not mental states. There must be some objective neurological property (with both a physical and a mental aspect) that a person possesses continuously between the time of learning a concept and successfully applying it. And this property must be lacking in someone who cannot apply the concept. Otherwise, the causal link between learning and application would be broken. There must be some continuous temporal link between cause and effect.

I don't doubt that learning certain techniques and acquiring certain abilities does involve certain physiological changes. No doubt some, if not most of these changes take place in the brain, but that does not make them mental states; our ability to breath, I assume, involves some part of the brain, but I cannot see how it could be construed as a mental state. Moreover, I would certainly disagree that the physiological aspects of ability acquisition are constitutive of having acquired that ability.

Quote:
mickalos wrote:
Quote:
4. It may be that someone never has occasion to "apply" a particular concept they have learned. Must we then say that it is neither true nor false that they understand it?

Of course not, but if somebody does have occasion to apply a concept, and they apply it incorrectly, then they do not understand and they never did, regardless of any mental picture they have. You need to be able to use the concepts you have learned, otherwise you clearly do not understand.

Even before they have occasion to apply the concept, it is either the case that they understand it or that they do not. (They are not in an indefinite state like Schrödinger's Cat.) So there must be some persistent physical and mental quality within them that makes this fact true.

I'm certainly not an anti-realist about understanding something. There is most definitely a fact of the matter that I understand X, but is that fact of the matter a mental state? Only if by 'mental state', you mean the whole complex of dispositions that is acquired in the process of teaching that are manifest in my practices, and certainly not if you mean some private "mental object".
Fido

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 10:53 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

A concept can refer to any number of things; from a preconceived set of notions outlining an ideal to an empirically derived set of variables outlining a given condition. A concept can even be outside human experience-ability-comprehension.

One of the few things that can be said with some surety is that a concept tends to outline-circumscribe (successfully or otherwise).

Not at all true... A concept is a special sort of form of direct abstraction as numbers are to units...
No form, or concept is out side of human experience, and in fact all forms represent the sum of human experience, our knowledge, which is judgement... God as an infinite is outside of human experience, and as Kant may have said: We can only have finite knowledge, and it is out of finite knowledge that concepts are formed... Of God and all other infinites we can only have a quasi concept, which is a moral form, accepted or rejected as a moral choice, and being in every sense, subjective...
Fido

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 10:56 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What matters about the verbalization of the word "pain" (or any other concept) are the social consequences. From those alone do we attribute "correct usage" or otherwise.

A typical "mistake" in UK English, is the confusion of "borrow" and "lend". A child will typically say to another "can I lend your pen ?" meaning "can I borrow your pen ?". And since the other child is used to the same usage, he hands over the pen (or says "no") without comment. There are no social consequences and the "incorrect usage" remains established.

Now in the case of the verbalization "I am in pain"...this only matters to a third party in deciding what to do about it. Questions of treatment, sympathy, honesty of the speaker may come into play but NOT whether the speaker "understands the concept".

So once more, I argue that "concepts" reflect the predominance of "reality as a social construction" by virtue of the sociolinguistic nature of those concepts. They imply interactions not states of existence.
Pain is not a true concept; but is instead a moral form... When another talks of pain we can not ever be certain that their pain is the same as ours, and this is shown in the general lack of sympathy we experience even though we all appearantly need it....
fresco

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:49 am
@Fido,
You wrote

Quote:
Pain is not a true concept; but is instead a moral form... When another talks of pain we can not ever be certain that their pain is the same as ours

so according to you....?

<<RED is not a true concept; but is instead a moral form... When another talks of RED we can not ever be certain that their RED is the same as ours>> Question

Don't you see that you need to drop the requirement for "experience" to be based on "objective reality", (itself a concept by my definition Smile ).

ACB

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
@mickalos,
mickalos wrote:
I'm certainly not an anti-realist about understanding something. There is most definitely a fact of the matter that I understand X, but is that fact of the matter a mental state? Only if by 'mental state', you mean the whole complex of dispositions that is acquired in the process of teaching that are manifest in my practices, and certainly not if you mean some private "mental object".

I am trying to pin down exactly what a "disposition" is. In any particular case, it is a contingent matter whether a disposition, or set of dispositions, is manifest in behaviour. As you acknowledged, it is possible (though perhaps uncommon) to have pain without any pain behaviour. So what is it that is constitutive of pain, regardless of behaviour? It is no good saying that a person who was in pain would have behaved in a certain way if they had had occasion to do so (e.g. if they had been asked whether they were in pain), since that is a counterfactual situation, and their pain was factual. We need to pinpoint some state of theirs that constitutes the fact that they actually were in pain.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

You wrote

Quote:
Pain is not a true concept; but is instead a moral form... When another talks of pain we can not ever be certain that their pain is the same as ours

so according to you....?

<<RED is not a true concept; but is instead a moral form... When another talks of RED we can not ever be certain that their RED is the same as ours>> Question

Don't you see that you need to drop the requirement for "experience" to be based on "objective reality", (itself a concept by my definition Smile ).

If we can trust the machines we have and those who made them, with trust being a moral form, then red is a quality that can be measured more, or less, objectively...

Objective reality is a moral form... Reality is an infinite, and while, like God, or Existence, we have a name for it, we no IT as an object that we can compare to our quasi concept of it called reality... However many people we have on the earth is the approximate number of realities... As a moral nicity, I accept your version of reality and you accept mine because there is no objective means of testing either view...

Physics does deal with Res, things, from which we get our word Re(s)ality, and of physical reality we do have a concept and many, in fact; all sharing the concept of number... If physical reality were all that there is of reality we should have no wars, but perhaps, would not exist either because moral forms have grown out of our needs and imaginations...

As far as objectivity is concerned we must begin with an object, as all true concepts do. .. Yet, all objects are absolutes, and objectivity itself is an absolute, and absolutes are infintes... If we can hold a cube in hand, we can say that it is absolutely a cube, but on the one hand, no cube ever will fit the definition exactly, and the class as a whole contains any infinite number of examples... If I say line, and the line is both concept and an Identity, then it contains every line of every length possible by definition which is an infinite number... And infinites cannot be defined, so if something is defined as an infinite, it is also a moral form... By common consent we accept the definition of a line neglecting the fact that it is infinte out of a common moral necessity... Forms, even concepts, do not need exhaustive proof in order to be useful; but if a form cannot be tested at all against its defined reality then it is no concept...
Chumly

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:42 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Not at all true... A concept is a special sort of form of direct abstraction as numbers are to units...
No form, or concept is out side of human experience, and in fact all forms represent the sum of human experience, our knowledge, which is judgement... God as an infinite is outside of human experience, and as Kant may have said: We can only have finite knowledge, and it is out of finite knowledge that concepts are formed... Of God and all other infinites we can only have a quasi concept, which is a moral form, accepted or rejected as a moral choice, and being in every sense, subjective...
Nope, a concept need not be as specific as you claim. See here:
Quote:
1. A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.
2. Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion. See Synonyms at idea.
3. A scheme; a plan
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/concept

You are also incorrect in that a concept can indeed be outside of human experience, in fact it would be the height of hubris to claim we are the only beings in the universe able to conceptualize / ever have been / ever will be.

Your claim that we can only have finite knowledge is simply more hubris given there is no empirical methodology to denote the limits of mankind's future abilities. Recall that one of the definitions of "can" is to have the possibility.
fresco

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:10 pm
@Fido,
I don't accept that physics deals with anything but the results of human interactions with "non-human stuff". If our physiology had been such that we were all colour blind, there would have been no word for "red" nor is it likely that the "wavelength of light" would have been studied or measured to the extent it now has. There is no vantage point from which what we call our physiology can be "objectively" studied nor the stuff with which it interacts.

Once more concepts are about interactions NOT objects (abstract or physical). We seek control of our interactions by conceptualizing them by words whose own persistence deludes us into thinking about persitence/existence of "things" independent of us.
Fido

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:14 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Fido wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Nope, a concept need not be as specific as you claim. See here:
Quote:
1. A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.
2. Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion. See Synonyms at idea.
3. A scheme; a plan
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/concept

You are also incorrect in that a concept can indeed be outside of human experience, in fact it would be the height of hubris to claim we are the only beings in the universe able to conceptualize / ever have been / ever will be.

Your claim that we can only have finite knowledge is simply more hubris given there is no empirical methodology to denote the limits of mankind's future abilities. Recall that one of the definitions of "can" is to have the possibility.

This is in part correct, but saying a concept is something formed in the mind is the use of one abstraction to describe another... A concept is not a thing, and not a something, and the mind is itself a moral form of which no concept can be formed, and there is no Inside the mind, or Outside the mind because the mind is not a place or a thing but is an abstraction without a specific being, thst is: A Meaning without a Being...

Of true concepts, there is a physical being upon which judgements are rendered, and those judgements of the specific example equal knowledge of the general class... The hubris is on your part... I see the actual limits of knowledge, and all else is wishful thinking or imagination... Moral forms tell us nothing about specific about reality, and tell us everything we know about the most essential aspect of reality, that is; OF humanity, who are the witnesses of and investigators of reality... We define nothing by our interest in moral forms, and define everyone by our interest... Does that make sense to a you???

Other than that; If you will show me the "Can", I will show you your "Possibility."
Fido

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:36 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I don't accept that physics deals with anything but the results of human interactions with "non-human stuff". If our physiology had been such that we were all colour blind, there would have been no word for "red" nor is it likely that the "wavelength of light" would have been studied or measured to the extent it now has. There is no vantage point from which what we call our physiology can be "objectively" studied nor the stuff with which it interacts.

Once more concepts are about interactions NOT objects (abstract or physical). We seek control of our interactions by conceptualizing them by words whose own persistence deludes us into thinking about persitence/existence of "things" independent of us.

All our scientific instraments are amplifications of the senses...Sense even for an infant is the beginning of knowledge... And if we turn the senses onto the brain, and examine social forms in the light of moral forms and their continued interaction we will learn about ourselves and our physical being...

All true concepts are about objects, matter, reality... Concepts are a meaning associated with a certain being, as the concept of a cat means the physical cat... Moral forms are meanings without being, and some time we get our moral forms culturally, as culture is knowledge, but we can arrive at them on our own...Since a moral form has no object, or only an infinite object no true thing can be said of it, and no thing said of it can be proved, so moral forms are not knowledge in relation to reality, but only meanings without specific being...

But allow me to back track: Concepts are not about interactions, but about relationships, and all forms, even moral forms are forms of relationship.... Primarily they are judgements which allow for classification of knowledge, as genus and species are to biology...Moral Forms are quasi ideas which are used in the construction of our social forms, like governments, religions, and economies... Though I say there is no object illuminated by moral forms there is a certain super reality behind them... As meanings, moral forms have their meaning from our lives and the necessity that is life which values, that is: Gives Meaning to all that makes life possible... For that reason we find justice and liberty essential and meaningful, because we cannot live without them... Our lives are the ultimate reality that gives all of reality the meaning it has...We simply cannot live without our relationships, and we cannot live without the social forms that structure our relationships... So if that is what you are stumbling around with the word: interactions; there you have it...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 03:30 pm
@Fido,
You claim “A concept is not a thing” wrong again, see here:

thing
3 a : a separate and distinct individual quality, fact, idea...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/thing

You assert you "see the actual limits of knowledge". That would mean you have knowledge of some (presumed) limit to knowledge! Good luck arguing that, as so far it's nothing more than a specious claim.

As to the rest of your most recent text, I find it equally uncompelling and suggest at-a-minimum you define your terms and learn the basics of argumentation.
Chumly

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 04:29 pm
I’m not wholly convinced that a concept (as I’ve defined it below*) cannot manifest itself physically and thus have existence independent of any sentient being. Example? The concept of hydrogen fusion as manifested by the stars in the universe.

Time to play which came first:
The concept or the manifestation?
Egg - chicken or chicken - egg?
Oh my!

*I assert that a concept can refer to any number of things; from a preconceived set of notions outlining an ideal to an empirically derived set of variables outlining a given condition. A concept can even be outside human experience-ability-comprehension.
Fido

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:02 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

You claim “A concept is not a thing” wrong again, see here:

thing
3 a : a separate and distinct individual quality, fact, idea...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/thing

You assert you "see the actual limits of knowledge". That would mean you have knowledge of some (presumed) limit to knowledge! Good luck arguing that, as so far it's nothing more than a specious claim.

As to the rest of your most recent text, I find it equally uncompelling and suggest at-a-minimum you define your terms and learn the basics of argumentation.
The easy answer to you is the dictionary answer... Don't be lazy... Think for your own self... And yes, knowledge is quite limited, and ignorance is infinite, otherwise all the scientists and philsophers would go to bed...In your case I must admit, that your vision is more limited than your knowledge... I have driven a lot of miles and it was alway you flying by me in a blinding fog...You do not see better, but hope more...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 10:17 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

I’m not wholly convinced that a concept (as I’ve defined it below*) cannot manifest itself physically and thus have existence independent of any sentient being. Example? The concept of hydrogen fusion as manifested by the stars in the universe.

Time to play which came first:
The concept or the manifestation?
Egg - chicken or chicken - egg?
Oh my!

*I assert that a concept can refer to any number of things; from a preconceived set of notions outlining an ideal to an empirically derived set of variables outlining a given condition. A concept can even be outside human experience-ability-comprehension.

If I could cut your brain out and lay it on a razor blade, I'd bet it would look like a beebee sitting on a eight lane highway... But when I have some time we can all revisit the misconception that the form is the reality and the reality is only an imperfect version of it...Come one... Think for God's sake already...For now, let me agree that concepts are outside of your comprehension...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 01:14 am
The current Fido-Chumly discussion depends on "things" being a priori. I started this thread excluding this axiom. I assert that "thought" is a dynamic process. There are no "static thoughts". There are no "static concepts". The only "object of permanence" is the word but its usage is not static. Conceptualization for me is a mental process/interaction which may or be not be related to a prior physical world experience of the conceptualizer, but it is certainly related to experience of a social world because it expressed in language. The "social world" accounts for the transmission of concepts without personal physical experience.
Chumly

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 09:35 am
@fresco,
Would you not agree that's your concept of "things" conforming to your brand of constructed language, and if so why not specify "intangible" or "abstract" instead?
fresco

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@Chumly,
The non-dualist position I am advocating has no place for "abstract" entities because the interface between "inner" and "outer" i.e"self" and "world" itself can be thought of as a dynamic construction. The general logic of "physical locality" cannot be applied. Our neurophysiology "things" or segments "reality" using socially acquired language. There is no need to define such segmentation as"abstract" or "concrete" since the final arbiter of such segmentation is social consensus, not physicality.