What is the difference between the soul and the mind? Where do they exist in our body?

anil m

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:45 am
A human has both-soul and the mind -where do they exist and whats the difference between them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,242 • Replies: 16
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:57 am
@anil m,
anil m wrote:

A human has both-soul and the mind -where do they exist and whats the difference between them?

The concept of the soul is a religious concept. It is not at all clear that concept has any object. The mind on the other hand exist (not just the concept). But there are a number of different theories of what the mind is. One theory (for instance) is that the mind is a term for both actual and potential behavior. And so, wherever behavior is located, the mind is located. But in what way is behavior located? It need not be truth that everything that exists is located somewhere. A person's behavior exists, but it does not make much sense to ask where that behavior (especially potential behavior) is located. Does it?
0 Replies

Dosed

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:52 am
@anil m,
for the most part in philosophy, soul = mind. They are interchangeable. (with a few exceptions).

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
@Dosed,
Dosed wrote:

for the most part in philosophy, soul = mind. They are interchangeable. (with a few exceptions).

I think you must mean that the terms "soul" and "mind" are interchangeable for philosophers, not that what the terms refer to are interchangeable. But even that is not true, since philosophers who are also atheists believe they have minds, but they do not have souls. And, therefore, certainly do not believe that the terms, "soul" and "mind" are synonymous which is what it would mean for them to be interchangeable.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:59 am
Only the brain exists. There is no soul.

BBB
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Only the brain exists. There is no soul.

BBB

First of all, it is not true that only the brain exists. Lots of other things exist. For example, giraffes exist. In the second place, of course, it does not follow from the fact that the brain exists that the mind or soul does not exist, since for one thing, the mind and brain might be identical. So, to say that since the brain exists, the mind does not, would be like saying that since Mark Twain existed, Samuel L. Clemens did not. As we all know, Mark Twain and Samuel L. Clemens were one and the same individual.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@kennethamy,
Where in the body is the mind and the soul located? Do they appear on X-rays and/or MIRs? Where in the brain are they located?

The brain controls many functions beyond the thought process.

BBB
thack45

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Where in the body is the mind and the soul located? Do they appear on X-rays and/or MIRs? Where in the brain are they located?

BBB

kennethamy wrote:

The concept of the soul is a religious concept. It is not at all clear that concept has any object. The mind on the other hand exist (not just the concept). But there are a number of different theories of what the mind is. One theory (for instance) is that the mind is a term for both actual and potential behavior. And so, wherever behavior is located, the mind is located. But in what way is behavior located? It need not be truth that everything that exists is located somewhere. A person's behavior exists, but it does not make much sense to ask where that behavior (especially potential behavior) is located. Does it?
This just about sums it up for me.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

If the mind is potential and actual behavior, it is located where the potential and actual behavior is located. And, if the mind is the brain, or CNS, then the mind is located where the brain or CNS is located. Do you really want to say (or admit) that you have no mind?
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@anil m,
anil m wrote:

But humans do not have a soul. So let's start this thread over.
north

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:50 pm
@anil m,
anil m wrote:

soul is about the Human Spirit

mind , is about the brain being greater than the whole
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:32 am
Imagine a remote controlled car. There is a power source and antenna that connects the two. When that power is turned on that car energizes provided the antenna is of a substance that will allow that unseen power to connect with it and it is not covered with non conductive residue preventing it; like something phoney, unreal, fabricated, plastic.

Now that car can be pushed by another without that power source. That car does have potential but if it can’t connect because of that coating or it is not well grounded it can be manipulated, pushed and controlled by external inertia. But when full connection is made it is free of all external influence that can’t be touched by any external, alien influence.

You could say that car then would be energized as it relates to an individual brilliantly illuminated. Now don’t confuse brilliance with smart or intelligence. The two are total opposites.

Now let’s imagine that not to be a car, only human and of those two humans...............man. His antenna is his brain; his antenna connected to that universal power source and the earth is his ground. All well and good but without sharing that illumination with woman he will burn out. He needs to dissipate all that energy. He needs to “plug in to another receiver”; one that attracts that energy he is so full of, ha!

Now when he does theY produce a unique energy source comprised of both whether it be a male or female. The male son will be more energetic because of familiarity with the father and the daughter less with the father but more with the mother, more familiar with the Earth ground.

The soul and the mind are not parts of us they are the energy that is us. The brain and body are just the material thing we move around in with all it's sensors to guide us in a positive direction.

Now let’s separate the animal from human. I know this will irritate the male ego, but frankly I could care less. You may read all my posts if you wish to and you will notice that is the first time I have ever used those two words together; care & less. When it comes to any regard to that animal vs human, the human will get center stage, period.

Now lets get a bit deeper into this subject or as far as “I” am concerned and what “I” am allowed to know. All that is of the earth is of a system of layer/strata preparing for our arrival. No one can know how that “natural process” was done yet man does call it a matter of “selection”. That cannot be proven as to all that is. Man thinks he can dig it out somehow. That CAN NOT be done with a Earth, they say, is 14 billion years old as a best guestimate. Ha, new wrong word, ha! That's a very right word.

I have to leave you now. Another day and I don’t miss any opportunity to miss any of those.

More later, I will know more tomorrow anyway. Ha! we have many of those to come.

William

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:13 am
To believe in a human soul, you must believe there is a God. If there isn't a God, there is no soul.

BBB
Arjuna

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:39 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

anil m wrote:

It's called Aretha Franklin Zetherin. Check it out.

Soul is used in a lot of ways... there are analytical philosophy people who freely accept the word to refer to personal identity...

I don't know where they exist, but the word mind can be a blanket term for patterns of thought we appear to share. Your mind is assumed to operate according to these shared patterns. Whether you actually do "think" the same way I do... I don't know. But my soul: my personal identity, is something you couldn't share. If you did I'd freak out when you looked in the mirror.
William

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:26 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

To believe in a human soul, you must believe there is a God. If there isn't a God, there is no soul.

BBB

KUDOS , well done and keep on buzzing and dancing to that tune. ha!

William
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 07:01 am
What_it_is: You need to define what you mean by soul and mind.

Soul may mean a number of things (definition) as may mind (Mind's definition). Unless and until the asker clarifies which definition they're speaking to, any answer as to what the difference is will only lead to confusion and missed meaning.

For my part, I take "soul" and "mind" to be virtually synonymous; except that "soul" carries an intonation of being a separate (or separable) entity whereas "mind" is more the phenomena comprising thought, intelligence, memory, decision-making and sense of being. To this second concept, my belief is that it resides in the brain - not as a single physical part or organ - but as the dynamic that's created when elements of the brain interact biochemically/bio-electrically to create the resulting effects shown by its definition. You can't hold it, you can't point to it because its an invisible collection of interactions (some of which can be detected using brain scans, etc.). Even if you held a brain in your hand, you're holding a lot more than ONLY what the mind is comprised of (in terms of components), but likely a non-functional one at that.

Much in the same way, Gravity is an effect of mass; you can't see it, smell or touch it (only its effects). Or perhaps a television; you need not only the components present and functional, but energized and working together to produce the image. In any case: until its more fully interpreted through external means, people will continue to mysticize it.

Thanks
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:53 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

Zetherin wrote:

anil m wrote:

It's called Aretha Franklin Zetherin. Check it out.

Soul is used in a lot of ways... there are analytical philosophy people who freely accept the word to refer to personal identity...

I don't know where they exist, but the word mind can be a blanket term for patterns of thought we appear to share. Your mind is assumed to operate according to these shared patterns. Whether you actually do "think" the same way I do... I don't know. But my soul: my personal identity, is something you couldn't share. If you did I'd freak out when you looked in the mirror.

"Soul" is a religious term, as far as I am aware. It's not your personal identity, at least not in your corporeal form, because it is, by definition, your incorporeal essence. It is what the Christians believe will persist after death.
0 Replies