What About The People

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:47 am
Who believe in the traditional God and the Devil but just don't give a hoot about either?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,461 • Replies: 33
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
Then their hoots shall be unheeded. Yea, verily, though they hoot, they shall hoot but bootlessly. Bruiting their hoots shall bear no fruits. They shall indeed be heedless, bootless, fruitless hooters.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:07 pm
I believe in muuuu-sic...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
Me too feola but now that Joe mentions it, I have always had a deep and abiding love and faith in Hooooooooterssssss... :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:27 pm
Well, i'll be damned . . . literally, no doubt . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
Funny, I feel the same about boots, or as a canuck should I say aboot boots.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:25 pm
It was Hawthorne, if memory serves, who said about his ertwhile friend Melville: "He can neither believe nor be comfortable in his disbelief..."
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:41 pm
And what about/aboot them? Not only don't I care about debating the non-existence of invisible cloud/pit beings, I don't even care to think about the levels of faith of those who do profess to such nonsense.

My time on this planet is too damn short to start counting angels or slaughtering my neighbours because they do/don't believe that a piece of bread and some wine can actually turn into flesh and blood in the stomache.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:47 pm
That's what I'm asking...what about them?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:50 pm
F*ck 'em. That's what I'm saying.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:55 pm
I was so inspired by Milton's Satan, I formed a band once called Paradise Lost. I was young indeed, but let's face it, Milton's Satan is the coolest devil ever, except maybe the cross-dressing one in the Powerpuff Girls. I don't believe in either god or the devil, and don't give it much thought really. As for the people, yes, I care.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:30 pm
Now there's a direct answer to a direct question....refreshing..... Laughing
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:42 pm
I have seen to many prayers answered not to believe in God. I have seen the touch of healing hands. Yes, I believe the Lord exists....

And I believe that Satan exists......his work is present in everyday life....seen it tear families apart, wreck havoc in good peoples minds...

I can say this.....if you don't believe...that is your personal preference, but I choose too.

I'd hate to think that if I died tommorrow a non-believer for my soul to be taken to heaven and stand for judgement in front of the Lord, and be told that he did not know me, for I did not know him...and sends me away to burn in the pits of hell for eternity. I guess it would be too late then to believe.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:54 pm
Quote:
I'd hate to think that if I died tommorrow a non-believer for my soul to be taken to heaven and stand for judgement in front of the Lord, and be told that he did not know me, for I did not know him...and sends me away to burn in the pits of hell for eternity. I guess it would be too late then to believe.

So what you are saying is that you purchased a prepaid calling card to inquire about the price of admission so you won't be turned away at the gate.

Are you also saying that your god holds grudges and will hang up on you for not calling her/him often enough to check on the status of that admission ticket?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:02 pm
so this dude goes to heaven and meets god and god says "did you here the one about the Jew and the Catholic and the Buddhist that came up a dime short on their calling cards?"
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:21 pm
Ha ha hah! Damn that's good Butrfly.

Quote:
And I believe that Satan exists......his work is present in everyday life....seen it tear families apart, wreck havoc in good peoples minds...

The above is exactly why I don't believe in Satan or God. The above rationalizes peoples and hoists bad behavior on the boogiemans shoulders. Give me a break, Satan doesn't need to tear peoples families apart. People do it all on there own.
We are so busy blaming the devil for fun and blaming god for horror.
The devil made me sin, gamble, whore, drink, drug myself.
or
Why didn't god save, rescue, help, aid, perform miracles, talk to me, hear my pleas.
We forget about the cold hard truth of reality.
You get one life and no matter what you do, no belief system is going to make it any different. If you get hit by a bus or gamble your fortunes it won't matter where you lay your proverbial skull cap, rosary or prayer rug, it was your descion to walk.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:26 pm
What Mr. Stillwater said.
Cav, Milton's Satan is awsome. Religion is one of the best sources of reference in literature and jokes.
0 Replies

Yottos

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:26 pm
Eternal damnation for 60…maybe 80 years of misguided disbelief? Seems like a steep price to pay.

Me: "I swear I didn't know any better! I thought I was right, besides those religious people scare me!" Shocked

God: "They kind of scare me too. Anyway, to Hell with you!!!"

Me: Mad
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:38 pm
Ohhhhh.........so quickly do we ridicule someone when they have beliefs other than yours.

Just because you can't see God or Satan....you don't believe he exist.

I don't see the wind either, but know that its a force to be reckoned with....

Thats alright....chalk it up to a calling card experience....thats your right....enjoy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:53 pm
So, telling people they will burn in hell for all eternity for being strangers to something they don't believe in is not a form of ridicule?

What I wrote was actually not written in ridicule. It was an interpretation of your own phrasing. You basically said that you use your belief in god and satan as your insurance that you'll be allowed past the gate.

You also tell us that non-believers will be turned away and sent to hell for not being known to your god. Doesn't that go against the whole birth of jesus story about being turned away at the inn? Mary and her companion were turned away from the gate of the inn and look at what all has happened because of that. We even have a religious holiday to celebrate that! So, maybe being turned away isn't such a bad thing after all. Wink
0 Replies