Film Room 101

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
Is there any film that just drives you crazy when you think that you spent $5 watching it? We all know that there are bad films, but which films do you think deserve to be wiped off the face of this earth and off our psyche? You can, of course, argue against someone else's choices, or support them, in the quest to find the worst movie ever made.

Hmm... for me, I'll start with something recent: 'Love, actually.' Someone dragged me along to see it, and it is an utterly predictable image of what the Industry considers to be oestrogen, a film so contrived that every move, every piece of dialogue sounds off like an unnervingly familiar cliché.

Also, I'd have to nominate most things that include Jennifer Lopez... what about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,520 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:54 am
Anything that has Chainsaw, Killer or Revenge in the title... not that I would ever watch these. I can only assume they are not for me, probably shouldn't be for anyone. It concerns me that so many people like junk. What goes on in their minds afterwards?

I'm fairly picky about what I see and if I start to dislike a film, well... I walk out or turn it off.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
I agree with you there; such films never have a plot, just copious amounts of gore. Why people like such films is beyond my reasoning; perhaps it's because people have unhealthy fantasies, or because for some people a plot is in the way of destruction. There are millions who like to see ultra-violent, destructive films; fear for the children.

I usually choose a film that I would like- I end up seeing the real clangers when I'm with someone, and obliged by courtesy to stay. Some people would say that one just has to stay until the end, in case the movie improves, but I feel that, if you dislike a film in the first forty minutes, the chances are stacked against you disliking the rest.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:19 pm
I always try to keep a "Films We Hated, Hated, Hated" thread in the Featured Topics and you might check this out as unless I'm missing your intent, yours is a duplicated topic:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15386
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:55 am
My intent is different- if barely-; the movies that one could choose in this topic aren't essentially ones that critics adored, and the intensity of dislike is different. Everyone dislikes one movie or another, but one must have strong feelings to want a movie completely banished from memory.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the similarity between the two posts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:36 am
Any movie which features a B.E.M. My husband loves sci-fi, even the most cheaply made. On occasion he has induced me to go to one of those abominations. I usually end up making many trips to the powder room, or I fall asleep.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
I never really 'got' Sci-Fi; I probably didn't try to, either. I wonder why some people like it so much; it always seemed to me as if it were a crummy script being matched with bad acting...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:33 am
The other forum also includes films that did big box office (and not necessarily critical acclaim) like "Titanic" but the poster doesn't like them. The topic is always going to be rather generalized because it doesn't always depend on what the critics wrote or what the box office did if one just hates the film.

I choose films to go see very carefully and they are often independent or foreign films so I don't really plunk down the money at the box office and walk in on a "blind date." I generally go by several critics whose opinions I nearly always respect and some relatives or friends who recommend the film, never by how much box office it's doing.

But as far as films I have wandered into from years past that I regretted paying the admission, "Die Hard 3" comes to mind. Of course, this is sequel syndrome.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:45 am
Lightwizard wrote:

I choose films tteo go see very carefully and they are often independent or foreign films so I don't really plunk down the money at the box office and walk in on a "blind date."

Me too; in fact, the last mainstream movie that I watched on my own accord was eight or nine years ago. Did you catch Vendredi Soir, lightwizard? Or Elephant? Although they obviously lacked what the nouvelle vague had, they were just.. breathtaking.

Lightwizard wrote:

I choose films tteo go see very carefully and they are often independent or foreign films so I don't really plunk down the money at the box office and walk in on a "blind date." I generally go by several critics whose opinions I nearly always respect and some relatives or friends who recommend the film, never by how much box office it's doing.

I never go by Box office; in no way does popularity mean that something is good. If that were true, everyone would acclaim boy bands and Big Brother. I sometimes dip my feet into the wells of critics' opinions- especially when I'm considering one film against another- but the decisive thing would be whether I think the film would grab me in, its merit, etc. One must be careful about critics; although having one's opinion informed by good critics can't be bad, sometimes you have to consider things on the basis of what you'll think of the movie.

Ugh, sequels; I have avoided them like the plague.
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:38 pm
The last Aliens film, "Aliens Resurection". the first three were defenetly good films, they should have left it a that.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:40 am
I have just sat through 2 hours of "the fellowship of the ring" This has to be the most pretentious piece of clap in cinematic history, with the obvious exception of "2001 a space idiocy"

Is there any amount of hype the public wont believe?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:32 pm
It's not just the public, then, kev -- Tolkien readers also love the films. Polls taken on Tolkien sites reveal more than an eighty-five percent approval of the films which is actually lower than the rating on IMDb which places the films in the top ten every made! I'm not sure what is pretentious or "clap" in the films unless it is the experience I had of one of the few movies where the audience stood and applauded at the ending (well, "The Two Towers," at least). It never ceases to amaze me how one dismisses these films and "2001" as pretentious without any explanation whatsoever. One liner reviews just don't cut it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:33 pm
BTW, "FOTR" is nearly 3 hours long. 3 hrs. 40 min. if one watches the Extended Version.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:50 pm
I know how long it is LW, I gave it up after 2 hours because I couldn't take any more of this pretentious rubbish.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:54 pm
By the way LW I'm not looking for a scrap, it's interesting dont you think how people percieve films so differently?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 09:55 am
Not finishing a film and pronouncing it "pretentious crap" is beyond the fray. Can't really debate about something one hates.
0 Replies