Is Shirley Sherrod A Black Eye For The Obama Administration?

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:41 pm
Or are conservatives and Breitbart to blame?

full clip below

http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/07/19/video-proof-the-naacp-awards-racism2010/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 9,815 • Replies: 142

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:46 pm
I think Breitbart looks like a major jackass in this and his stock took a hit. The Obama admin is sufficiently removed from the problem as to mostly skate on this one, but they hardly come out clean either - should have waited to see more of the details before jumping to conclusions.

But let's not kid ourselves - the race-baiting mission of Breitbart and Fox News was fully accomplished. Instead of the day's news being about the historic Financial Reform bill being signed by Obama, it was about the stupid 'Blacks are racist towards whites!' which is a deep-seated and important part of the Conservative ethos.

Maddow gives a good breakdown about how stuff like this came directly from the playbook of Lee Atwater, and is still used by modern Racists in the Republican party to drum up anti-Democrat and anti-Black fears:

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
@panzade,
All of the above. They both handled this badly.

The fact that the Obama administration runs scared at conservative lies has been a problem for a while. They ran away from the smear campaign against Van Jones. They ran away from the smear campaign against Acorn.

That being said, conservatives are lying jerks.
engineer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:26 pm
I think it is a black eye to the administration. It shows they are hyper sensitive to the radical right media and confirms that there is significant power out on the fringes. As for the conservative press, I don't think they take any hits because their audience doesn't care if their hyperbole occasionally goes over the edge.
panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:48 pm
@engineer,
That's what worries me engineer. I thought Obama could navigate the radical right media salvos and stem the growing power of the radicalized Right.

To me this episode was a setback
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Good points
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Shame it overshadowed Finance Reform Cyclo.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
Quote:
On Wednesday, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack claimed sole responsibility for the decision, saying there was no White House involvement, and gave Sherrod "a personal and profound apology."

Sounds like Vilsack is taking a hit for the team. It's hard to believe he didn't check with the White House first. Or is it?
engineer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:18 pm
@panzade,
I don't think it is hard to believe. I hope that Obama's secretaries are willing to take administrative actions without looking to the White House to approve every decision. Plus it provides "plausible deniability."
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
I think it is a black eye for the United States that after all these years we're still going through all this and that we're so susceptible to fear mongering about race from anyone.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:07 pm
Quote:
(White House Press Secretary)Gibbs, too, has insisted the decision was made at the Agriculture Department. He told reporters that Obama spoke with Vilsack on Wednesday night, but he wouldn't discuss the substance of the conversation. Gibbs said he doesn't see any reason for Vilsack to resign.

I wonder what they talked about last night.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:20 pm
this is bad for Obama. First it is more hyper sensitive to race, which people are increasingly sick of.Second, people around Obama getting it wrong and also lacking balls reminds us that this is what we think of Obama as well. For that reason alone the right comes off ahead. also, they get their jollies out of making trouble for Obama....they had a good couple of days.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Flooded with apologies from everywhere, Shirley Sherrod got the biggest "I'm sorry" of all Thursday — from a contrite President Barack Obama, who personally appealed to the ousted worker to come back.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100722/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_usda_racism_resignation
this is bad,bad,bad....I certainly don't want to see any more of the apologizer in chief, of our girly man president
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this is bad,bad,bad....I certainly don't want to see any more of the apologizer in chief, of our girly man president

I have little doubt that he would kick your ass, Hawk. It's usually the fat slobs who run around calling people 'girly men.'

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It's usually the fat slobs who run around calling people 'girly men.'
I always think of Schwarzenegger, but near as I can tell he has been bullied into giving it up.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
I admire him for having called her. He didn't have to do it, but did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

It is more than what anyone at any news media outlet has done, and more than what anyone at the NAACP has done. They all blame their knee-jerk reaction on Fox rather than taking responsibility for having fallen for yet another dirty trick by Breitbart and acting without first verifying/validating the video and accusations.

There are a lot of folks sporting black-eyes this week.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
He didn't have to do it, but did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

I hope that he at least got some warm fuzzies out of it, because it hurt him, and he did not need to do it. He has used up his quota of "I'm sorry" for at least the whole first term, he needs to cut it out.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
How did it hurt him? Please be specific.

Quote:
He has used up his quota of "I'm sorry" for at least the whole first term, he needs to cut it out.

Apologizing isn't a sign of weakness, but one of strength.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Apologizing isn't a sign of weakness, but one of strength.
nice thought, except that almost no one agrees with you. Obama can think of it as a strength all he wants, but is is perceived as a weakness, it emboldens attack. It is another sign that Obama is not the master politician that we took him for, as this is a failure to understand politics 101.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
It wasn't about politics. It was about being human.

I'll vote for the human over the politician every time.

1. Forums
  2. » Is Shirley Sherrod A Black Eye For The Obama Administration?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:25:03