Is Shirley Sherrod A Black Eye For The Obama Administration?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I'll vote for the human over the politician every time.
wow, if that is true you are a strange bird. A lot of people say that, but rarely is it true.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
nice thought, except that almost no one agrees with you.

Unproven assertion. What you mean to say is that YOU don't agree. But you are wrong.

Quote:
Obama can think of it as a strength all he wants, but is is perceived as a weakness

By fools.

Quote:
it emboldens attack.

It emboldens fools to attack.

Quote:
. It is another sign that Obama is not the master politician that we took him for, as this is a failure to understand politics 101.

But, you never took him for a 'master politician.' Guys like you have been calling him a fool since day 1. And he just keeps on signing historic bills, that other administrations have been unable to accomplish.

Who's the fool, Hawk? The one who preens and struts and cares about being seen as strong or weak - or the one who ignores all that and goes about business?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:49 pm
I think engineer had it right. The truth of this matter gets drowned out. It matters less that Fox and BB were liars, because their audience simply doesn't give a ****. This wasn't embarrassing at all for them. A true statement on their shameless nature.

I'm not concerned with Obama apologizing. As for egg on the face, I think that she deserved the apology she got, whether it was a WH decision or not. Having said that, the WH is too easily distracted by the individual affairs of hit and run cowards like Breightbardt.

Hawkeye10 - The idea that Obama apologizing affects the chance of us being attacked is one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Top ten, and it's becoming a competitive list.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:54 pm
I do feel that this kind of media gamble that Fox is taking will eventually have a blowback of sorts. We've arrived at a point already where the credibility and journalistic integrity is beyond dubious.

I don't know when, but it's not inconceivable that in some time, but Fox coverage could engender conservative politicians with a negative stigma. I can imagine a number of scenarios where Fox becomes the crazy and racist media outlet that becomes an obstacle for GOP candidates to appeal to moderate voters.

How long this is from now? I don't know. I could be wrong all together. I'm watching the the Reid/Angle race and coverage to see if my hypothesis materializes any.

A
R
T
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:33 am
I love it. People here blaming Fox News or blaming Obama or democrats or republicans or whoever depending on their political leaning. Personally, I blame only Breitbart who it appears to me purposefully began this by taking words out of context and reporting something he had to know was not true. Everyone else, from Fox to the Obama admin simply fell into the trap without verifying (as someone previously wrote here) the facts. Plenty of blame for everyone.
parados

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:04 am
@CoastalRat,
I agree..

Breitbart for falsifying the video is the first person to blame. If I was Sherrod, I would already have a lawyer and a libel suit started. There clearly are monetary damages for her that could be recouped.

But Fox does bear some blame for not doing any journalistic work like a news organization is supposed to do. At least Rather had other sources than just the falsified documents and he was still forced to resign.

The administration does bear some fault in overreacting to Fox News. But if they didn't react and it turned out to be true, one has to wonder how long this story would go on from Fox.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If I was Sherrod, I would already have a lawyer and a libel suit started. There clearly are monetary damages for her that could be recouped.
Really? Isn't she going to have trouble showing damages when she has been all over the media attention like **** on rice, was offered a better job than the one she had by the same employer, and now has the opportunity to monitorize the whole event with speaking fees and a book deal?
engineer

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Plus, what is she going to say? Was that her on the tape? Yes. The video wasn't falsified nor was it spliced or otherwise modified. Since when is taking something out of context libel? Deceptive, yes, libelous, no. A lawsuit would only give her attacker more publicity. I'd never heard of him before this event and now he's on the map. Why would you give him more than his 15 minutes?
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:38 pm
i believe the message we should all take form this is a simple one

kill whitey

wait, what Confused
dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:40 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

kill whitey

wait, what Confused
exactly
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 01:41 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Why would you give him more than his 15 minutes?
why would she want to hurt the guy who made her? I assume that she will file an unlawful termination suit against the government, which she will win because Obama already said that she was right, a live on the speaking tour. There is no need for her to ever work another day.
parados

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
How can she file a wrongful termination suit since such a suit only allows for a reinstatement with back wages?

As for a libel suit - One only has to read the current RW blogs to see how her reputation is damaged. No one had heard of her before Breitbart but NOW she is being roasted for being a racist. Damages? You really think she can walk into any store or business that plays Fox News on its screens and be treated the way she would have been before Breitbart? You really think a jury would believe her life hasn't changed for the worse with a certain 20% of the US population?
engineer

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
@parados,
But for the other 80% of the population, she is being hailed as a hero with testimonies from farmers she's helped all over the news. I don't think she can show any damage to her reputation. To most of the country, she is the saint who's been wronged while before this she was doing her good work in obscurity.
parados

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:38 pm
@engineer,
But it appears to meet the requirements for libel listed here

http://www.medialaw.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Public_Resources/Libel_FAQs/Libel_FAQs.htm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:14 am
Juan Williams discussed this matter Sunday, 25 July 2010.

Ms. Sherrod gave this speech 24 years ago.

A person can do a great deal of changing in over two decades.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:24 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this is bad,bad,bad....I certainly don't want to see any more of the apologizer in chief, of our girly man president

I absolutely agree. I think that the President has more important things to do than to give this woman a personal apology. If he wanted to be gracious, a letter would have sufficed. He was playing to his constituency, and was very ham handed and obvious.

I wonder what would have happened if the story were reversed, and the woman was white.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@Phoenix32890,
Gee Pheonix, I didn't know you were such a big fan of the cowboy never apologize, never admit wrongdoing demeanor. I hated this in George Bush, and I surely don't want to see this in Obama. I voted for change.

Shirley Sherrod deserved an apology. She was fired unjustly after having been slandered on national TV. She was fired by the Obama administration-- Obama was the man in charge of the organization that unjustly fired her.

Quote:
I wonder what would have happened if the story were reversed, and the woman was white.

I am pretty that any decent person would apologize in this situation. If someone working for you fired someone unjustly without having investigated the charges first, wouldn't you apologize?

If this woman were white, I am quite sure that Obama would have given the exact same apology... the one difference would be that Hawkeye and Pheonix would be complaining that the apology wasn't strong enough.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

... it was about the stupid 'Blacks are racist towards whites!' which is a deep-seated and important part of the Conservative ethos.
Cycloptichorn

And has thou forgotten the day, when Obama threw his elderly, white gradnmother under a bus with his comments about typical white women?

And has thou forgotten the almight Rev. Wright of 95th street in Chicago?
A "Rev" very much supported by the Obamas before they joined the Washington elite and became so "proper"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:02 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Personally, I blame only Breitbart ...

No way. I blame the black woman with the big mouth. Could she be one of Biden's cousins?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:03 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

kill whitey

wait, what Confused

No! The message should be "keep you mouths shut, till you're in the grave".
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 03:19:15