The simplest possible axiom, axiom 0.

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:03 pm
I "discovery" the following from here: http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2010/04/15/where-do-the-laws-of-nature-come-from/

Quote:
There is an axiom (I will enounce it immediately) which I will call “Axiom 0″, with the following nice properties:

1. It is the simplest possible.
2. It is the richest possible: we can derive from it a very wide spectrum of consequences; let’s name these consequences “the Metaverse”.
3. Our universe is a [logically] consistent subset of the Metaverse.
4. Any consistent universe is a subset of the Metaverse.
5. Axiom 0 itself is outside of any of the consistent universes it creates.

What is this axiom?

1. An axiom establishes logical relations between some objects. In order to have an axiom which makes sense, it has to refer to something. The simplest axioms are those which do not rely on things outside themselves. Therefore, they have to be self-referential.
2. There are two self-referential propositions which can be considered the simplest possible:
Axiom 1: “Axiom 1 is true.”
and
Axiom 0: “Axiom 0 is not true.”
From these, Axiom 1 is trivial and has no new consequences. On the other hand, Axiom 0 is the richest possible, because any statement can be derived from it, as it is known from Logic.
3-4. Any consistent universe, or “possible world”, is therefore a subset of the consequences of Axiom 0. Including our universe.
5. But Axiom 0 itself is inconsistent, and has to remain outside any universe from the Metaverse. The Metaverse itself is inconsistent.

The Metaverse contains all possible worlds, so all these can be related to Tegmark’s “Mathematical Universe Hypothesis”.

Among these universes, there is a special one (at least to us): the one which we observe and wonder where did its laws come from.

What do you think? I wonder about this a lot. If there is only one axiom, then we know for sure that it must be self-referential. There are two possibilities. Either it is consistent, and true, or it is inconsistent. We know from logic that any system that is inconsistent , it must be diverse( ie: anything is possible).

Here is where it gets into problem for me. If the metaverse is ruled by axiom 0, and our universe is part of this metaverse, then why don` t we see pigs flying, and not flying? To resolve this paradox, one has to introduce a new rule! The new axiom must be:

Additional Axiom: There are pockets of stability where axiom 0 do not apply.

If AA is true, then it would resolve the paradox. Now, our universe is such a pocket where axiom 0 do not apply. There are other pockets, called it multiverses, or other universes. Whatever.

So, it seems if we try to resolve the paradox in the poster ` s system, we also have to introduce a new axiom, AA.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 619 • Replies: 1
No top replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 02:36 pm
Suppose there was nothing, or the absence of anything, stars, planets, people whatever.

Suppose we introduce axiom 0 into this nothingness, and started to populate this nothingness with something, cars, people, planets etc. Suppose what populate this nothingness is "a pig flying", it can`t be the same pig as "a pig is not flying", so, two pig must be separated in this nothingness. Basically, when everything is starting to populate this nothingness, they are separated. Thus, we have axiom AA.

So, from axiom 0, everything exist, but they don` t exist in the same space-time.

There is a paradox. If we talk of separation in nothingness. The notion of "separation" is a spatial notion, and no spatial notion can exist without space. How is it possible that something is separated by nothingness, and space? One way to resolve the paradox is to introduce some medium that would fill this nothingness without the notion of distance being defined. I am hungry now.....

Another paradox is the causal nature of it all. This population process seems to be sequential, thus, introduce the notion of time. To avoid it, say everything is created at an instant.

So, there are 2 cases:

1. So, it seems if there "was" ever a "time" where there was nothing, everything would exist.

2. If there "was" never "nothingness", then everything would be as it is, and the mathematical universe hypothesis describes this situation.

0 Replies