Do things have essence?

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:20 pm
let us look at the idea of essence. For X to be the essence of Y is such that for all possible worlds, such that if there is an Y, there is an X. So, we can imagine X is a subpart of Y(whore):

(...........( X).............) <---Y.

So, the material condition Y-->X is true. In a world with -Y, there might, or might not be X. The contrapositive, is such that -X-->-Y. In a world with no X, there is no Y.

Now, is "X essence of Y" analytic, or synthetic?

Well, analytic statements are rather boring, and ******* stupid. eg: The essence of the number 3 is that it is a number, or the essence of being a bachelor is that he is unmarried.

So, can it be synthetic?

There are possible answers! If the answer is yes, then we have to accept some metaphysics. At the very least, the notion of "essence". If the answer is no, you will most likely come up with some crazy answers. Tell me why you are not crazy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 2
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:30 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
you called me a whore
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:42 pm
@GoshisDead,
A whore is a female that loves sex. Since everyone loves sex. Therefore, you must think i called you a female. If you are a female, fine. If you are a male, and are offended by it, then you must not like women. Are you a girl, or what? Perhaps, you are a girl trapped in a male body.
0 Replies