Gay Marriage - Legal Question

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 02:10 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Is it any skin off your nose if gays are to marry?

It is skin off every married couple's nose.

Quote:
Same-sex marriage, also referred to as gay marriage, is marriage between two persons of the same sex. The federal government of the United States does not recognize the marriages of same-sex couples and is prohibited from doing so by the Defense of Marriage Act. Nationwide, same-sex marriage is legal in three states as a result of a court ruling and in two others plus a district through a vote in their respective legislatures.

Same-sex marriages are currently granted by five of the 50 states, one federal district, and one Indian tribe:

I'm hardly in a minority.
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 02:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
spendi, You'll never understand what "equal rights" means if your life depended on it. "Marriage" is just a word; why are you so determined to limit the use of this word? It doesn't affect you in any way, and yet you wish to impose your definition on others you don't even know or care about. Your world is too small a cloister.

They say we get what you have five years later. I'm practicing.

If "marriage" is only a word why are you making a fuss over it?
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 02:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well then so do the principles of all the other states that agree with me. Which is 45.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:04 pm
@spendius,
I'm not, but you are. Why is it that those who are converted into christianity believes "marriage" is supposed to be only between a man and a woman?

Why do christians wish to impose their religious belief into other people's lives by denying them the right to a marriage?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:04 pm
@spendius,
I'm not going to read your entire post because your prose is too much for me but I will comment on your opening line and say that heterosexual couples have no right to the word marriage.

I did my thesis on Medieval marriage but from a decidedly political point of view. Mostly, I applied the writings of the Church fathers, the machinations of the counts and dukes of northern Europe and the myths of Ireland to the notion of modern marriage as it developed just about the year 1215 and to the Celtic concept of the Sovereignty Goddess.

Marriage in the Middle Ages, just like contemporary marriage, is about property rights. Period.

Care to deny that homosexuals have property that needs protection?

I am not hurt by homosexuals marrying, so what makes you so goddamned special?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:07 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The judge might have homosexual sympathies.

The appointment of this judge upset the homosexual community in San Fran because he was an atty for the US Olympic Committee who successfully defended it against a movement by gay men in SF to have a gay athletic conference to be called the GAy Olympics.

BTW, as it turns out, the judge himself is a homosexual.

Digest that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I'm hardly in a minority.

So, does that mean that most of the world is made up of pompous, bigoted twits?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
@spendius,
You are making a fuss over marriage, not us!
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@plainoldme,
He can't see his own position on this topic - as usual.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You're right on. He's bleating like a wounded sheep and proclaiming how much this decision will hurt him!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 12:26 am
Support for same-sex marriage has gone from 22% to 39% in the last six years, according to the polls. Support for same-sex marriage or civil unions with equivalent benefits already garners a super-majority. I wonder what the antis are going to use several years from now, when their argument that they are in the majority no longer is true.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'm not, but you are. Why is it that those who are converted into christianity believes "marriage" is supposed to be only between a man and a woman?

How can it be just me who is "making a fuss". Will you explain why I am the one "making the fuss" when I'm on my own against a claque and the claque is " making a fuss" about the use of a word.

The reason "marriage" is a legal category for a permanent relationship between a man and a woman is that that is how that word is defined. A bit like a bowl of porrige is not a chocolate ice-cream. There is no "torch of Hymen" for example in a homosexual union because men don't have hymens and women don't have hymen breechers unless you count strap-ons.

The word involves, as I have explained, seemingly to no purpose, a constellation of other words, phrases and jests. If you look in the thesaurus under "marriage" there are two and a bit pages of words and phrases in the constellation. Each of these will necessarily have their meanings altered if your proposal goes ahead. At the end of the section 6 other sections are given where the constellation is further expanded.

Quote:
Why do christians wish to impose their religious belief into other people's lives by denying them the right to a marriage?

Trade descriptions legislation and copyright of logos.

The argument is a literary one but it would be silly of me to expect you to have the remotest understanding of such things.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:03 am
I have to leave. Duty calls. I will get back to you all later. It might be best if you waited for my responses before posting again so that your confusions don't get even more confused than they already are.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:45 am
@MontereyJack,
One guarantee of change of opinion is having a gay child.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:48 am
@spendius,
Originally, back when there was only one church in Europe before the Protestant Reformation, priests were reluctant to marry people and wedding services were performed at the church doors and not in the sanctuary.

So, perhaps, "Christians" are het up about marriage because they had to fight for recognition of marriage by the Church.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:49 am
@spendius,
Quote:
It might be best if you waited for my responses before posting again so that your confusions don't get even more confused than they already are.

You do not deserve the courtesy with which you were treated here.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:34 am
@plainoldme,
Courtesy my arse. I'm getting bullied by a claque. I was accused of being unfair by giving as one of three or four reasons why the judge had an agenda that he had homosexual sympathies. Now I am told, on this thread, that he is actually a homosexual.

I don't know how long you would last POM if you was on your own against the sort of claque there is in my pub against homosexual marriage. 5 out of 50 states is hardly a strong recommendation for your position. 45 out of 50 states is a pretty strong one for mine. And one of your states, the main one, had a democratic referendum (Prop 8) reducing your number to 4 and a homosexual judge, singlehandedly, has temporarily restored you back to 5. Which is a totalitarian decision. One judge, and a homosexual one at that, overthrowing a democratic vote. Yea Gods!!!! Now that he has done are homosexual marriages starting up again in California?

I checked the world map on it and the USA is shown as allowing homosexual marriage despite it being allowed in only 5, or 4, states. The only other countries participating are Canada, Scandanavia, Spain, S.Africa, Argentina (just recently) and Iceland. You are well outvoted.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:47 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
So, perhaps, "Christians" are het up about marriage because they had to fight for recognition of marriage by the Church.

Perhaps away my dear. I think the Reformation was a rather more complex affair that your glib ideas suggest. If you wish to know a little about it I recommend Ted Hughes's Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being.

Do you recognise polygamous marriage?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:18 pm
@spendius,
Gee, I wish your grammar and syntax were better.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:20 pm
@spendius,
Were you a literary character you would be an unreliable narrator. There is no way I would read anything you recommended.
0 Replies