I hate technical phone screens.

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:41 pm
Just a rant...

I was on the wrong side of a "reduction in force" a few weeks ago (not my rant). I am looking diligently and this week, I have had several phone screens (which I very happy about, no rant there).

But here is my rant...

This afternoon, I had a technical phone screen... basically a pop quiz where they throw a bunch of detailed questions about things you should know. Well, this gentleman threw me a question in an area that I know very well about a project that I had worked on. I blanked on the name of a specific object that I had used to do this project... I looked like a fool.

Right after I got off the phone, I remembered it and could have given a detailed and correct explanation. So, in 30 seconds I may have squelched a very good prospect for a job for which I am quite qualified.

I sent email to this gentleman explaining that I experienced in this area ... but what else can I do?

If ever there is a job where giving quick answers to pop quizzes, I don't think I will apply. In real life, my profession involves developing solutions to problems with time to think and the use of reference documentation.

That is life, and I will stop ranting now. But I do wish the skills I need for a successful job search had anything do to with the skills I will use on my next job.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,294 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:55 pm
@ebrown p,
I sympathize, Ebrown. My work of yore involved developing solutions too. Sometimes a solution just popped up immediately, but we still toyed with other methods, having learned over the years to think designs out. The fifth 'what if' might turn out to be the best.

On the mental lapse, just this morning in a phone conversation with a friend about my lemon of a house, I mentioned the flaws with the piping, its being brittle, and grasped for the word 'hose bib'. Blank... blank.. blank. And, how many times in my life have a specified hose bibs? Hundreds. Ugh. Only I noticed the lapse, but geez.

Good luck on the search.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:59 pm
I work in up Chelmsford.

We have electrical, optical and software engineering groups here.

I don't know what your field is, but if you want to send a resume our way,
send me a PM.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
I am a fairly experienced Java Developer with a decent list of typical technologies (J2EE, JDBC, Hibernate, Swing, Spring, JAXB, Tomcat, etc., etc.) under my belt. I have specific experience in the healthcare and education industries. Right now, I seem to be getting interest from companies doing EHRs.

If you are in a Java shop, I would love a PM.
djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
If you are in a Java shop, I would love a PM.

i was at Tim Hortons earlier
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-11-18-TimHortonsCup.jpg
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@djjd62,
Ok, that made me laugh... but didn't I say I wanted a PM ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Stephen_Harper_by_Remy_Steinegger.jpg/225px-Stephen_Harper_by_Remy_Steinegger.jpg
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:44 pm
@ebrown p,
Good call...up here nobody wants him so he's yours Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:21 pm
@ebrown p,
You don't want that PM. Believe me. Wink
0 Replies