George Steinbrenner Dies

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
A shipbuilder from Ohio who once promised absentee ownership, George M. Steinbrenner III instead took the New York Yankees and made them his own, raising the profile of baseball’s most famous team to new heights.

The sport’s longest-tenured, most notorious and successful owner, Steinbrenner died today in Tampa, Fla., after suffering what was described as a massive heart attack. He had turned 80 on July 4.

“He was an incredible and charitable man,’’ a statement released by his family said. “He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion again.’’

Steinbrenner purchased the Yankees in 1973 and soon became the most famed owner in professional sports. “The Boss’’ created terror within the offices at Yankee Stadium, turned dozens of ballplayers into millionaires and reveled in the media spotlight by criticizing nearly everyone in his employ.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
I did not know he was born on the 4th of July...

RIP George.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:59 am
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“The Boss’’ created terror within the offices at Yankee Stadium, turned dozens of ballplayers into millionaires and reveled in the media spotlight by criticizing nearly everyone in his employ.
to his credit he'd mellowed quite a bit in the mid-90's, which coincided with their run of champeen-ships...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@Region Philbis,
I only posted a part of his story. I figured folks interested enough would look it up.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:45 am
A sad week for the Yankees.

Earlier this week, Bob Sheppard, the long time Yankee P.A. announcer died.

Quote:

Updated: Tue., Jul. 13, 2010, 2:50 AM
Bob Sheppard, 1910-2010

They called him the Voice of the Yankees, the Voice of Baseball -- even the Voice of God.

But Bob Sheppard, who died Sunday at 99 after nearly six decades as the public-address man at Yankee Stadium, always dismissed those compliments.

"I'm just a second-rate crooner," he told The Post's Steve Serby in 2008.

He wasn't, of course. He was the touchstone of PA announcers, the voice everyone else in the business tried to copy.

Sheppard insisted that he would "rather be known as a competent, warm, capable teacher of speech than as the best PA announcer in baseball."

In fact, he was both.

He was so much an integral part of the Yankee Stadium experience that when ill health forced him to step down after the 2007 season, team captain Derek Jeter insisted that Sheppard's recorded voice continue to introduce him at the plate.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/bob_sheppard_8jxYzqCuT4QV8wtfPZ4bPO#ixzz0ta4dJ5SZ

In a special tribute to Bob Sheppard, Major League Baseball will have Sheppard's recorded voice introduce Derek Jeter during today's All-Star Game.

And now, Steinbrenner, a true icon and visionary owner is gone. What a powerhouse franchise he helped to build. He won't be forgotten.

I am sure Steinbrenner will receive a major, and well deserved, tribute from the Yankees and their fans.

Sad times at "the Bronx zoo".

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:54 am
@firefly,
Quote:
In a special tribute to Bob Sheppard, Major League Baseball will have Sheppard's recorded voice introduce Derek Jeter during today's All-Star Game.
apparently jeter has been introduced at home that way since the beginning of the '08 season...
Quote:
Jeter requested a recording of Sheppard's voice announcing his name for any future occasion where Sheppard was unable to announce; the recording was made and will be used for the rest of Jeter's Yankee career. Sheppard was thrilled with this: "It has been one of the greatest compliments I have received in my career of announcing. The fact that he wanted my voice every time he came to bat is a credit to his good judgment and my humility."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sheppard
0 Replies