Does truth matter anymore?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:16 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
All this does not change the likely fact that the issues discussed in this thread aren't natural and necessary.
I think that history is pretty clear that self governing people need to have a certain minimum knowledge base in certain subjects, say history for example, and when they don't have this they get into trouble.

Or did you buy that whole "beyond history" theory during the 5 minutes that it was considered plausible??
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
History is also pretty clear that things change, and people adapt to it. you seem to think that I am arguing that this sort of cultural evolution is good. I'm not arguing that its good or bad, only that it happens and out railing against the storm will not stop the lightning or the thunder. I am arguing that we may simply be the inevitable generational Quixote.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:28 pm
@GoshisDead,
So you are not a big believer in the beacon in the storm, the one who did not forget the old ways standing ready to lead the lost and confused forwards after some bit of knowledge that was almost lost becomes critical again for the survival of the humans? You know, like we bank seeds in case the modern stuff fails us, and we need to link back?
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:33 am
@hawkeye10,
I say be that beacon, do everything you can do to make what you believe to be good and right a reality. I've spent the last 15 years documenting and designing 2nd language acquisition systems for dying languages. Talk about a quixotic passion. I am however not under any illusion that my efforts will save any of these languages in more than a rudimentary form. It doesn't stop me from doing it though. I understand the romance with the past, I am a romantic myself. I understand the egoism of the who I am right now. I know that my opinion is the best opinion because I hold it. I also know things change and there is jack, I can do about it. My speculations about the non-dumbing down of humanity are simply observations, why would I let those observations direct my actions? Especially if I disagreed with them. Be my guest, be a beacon.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:48 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
I've spent the last 15 years documenting and designing 2nd language acquisition systems for dying languages
My congrats on landing yourself in a career with spectacular growth potential. Not sure how you get paid, but languages are dieing rapidly, as you certainly know.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:52 am
@GoshisDead,
yes, great work, I studied Sanskrit for a year, I would love to have had the time and passion to have kept going. It is one of the most beautiful things ever created in my view.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:55 am
@GoshisDead,
Sorry to but inn. Brillant Idea to study yet an-other language
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:58 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I've spent the last 15 years documenting and designing 2nd language acquisition systems for dying languages
My congrats on landing yourself in a career with spectacular growth potential. Not sure how you get paid, but languages are dieing rapidly, as you certainly know.

Yes its a meager existence, grants and contracts, odd jobs on the side, not the most intelligent of career choices for one who cares about possessions, but its a living.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:06 am
@GoshisDead,
Greek or Latin ?
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Eastern and Western Mono, Timbisha, Paviotso, Wikchumni, Yolumni, Tachi, Tabatalabal, Kawaiisu, American Indian languages (Uto-Aztecan Super Stock) ----- Sampajut and B'diu Creolos (Western African Portuguese Creoles)
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@GoshisDead,
Oostturnips, Westturnips, Wer<0>MerrY
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@GoshisDead,
no moor no less
0 Replies