philosophy on being lovesick & philosophy of children/pedagogy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:34 am
Does anyone know of a philosopher who said something about what to do when you're lovesick? I can only think of Schopenhauer.

Also, does anyone know whether there are any contemporary philosophers with an opinion on how to see children/raise them?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,782 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:56 am
@artphilosopher,
Hmmm...well some people might object to my calling them philosophers, but two thinkers come to mind on the lovesick issue:

Robert Burton in The Anatomy of Melancholy

And Emile Chartier, who wrote under the name Alain, might also have some helpful insights if you are looking to get out of the dumps. He wrote for some periodicals, and a helpful English translation of a collection of some of his short articles was released in 1989, under the title Alain on Happiness. Some of the articles seem trite, but read together they are actually pretty impressive in their practicality and full of worthwhile advice.

I'm afraid I'm less helpful on the issue of child-rearing. Maybe some of John Dewey's work, but I'm skeptical that they would actually be much help.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
@artphilosopher,
Hi art,

There's a fine line between psychology and philosophy, but it's the former that zero's in on how to cope with being human.

A good book with plenty of underlying philosophy, but written by a practicing psychologist is Care of the Soul, by Thomas Moore.

Oh, and just to clarify, the book isn't written from a religious perspective. The title is a poetic translation of the word psychotherapy.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:08 am
See:
http://www.naturalchild.org/peter_cook/childrearing.html

also, the movement, No Child Left Indoors, is getting a lot of attention.

0 Replies