Grill, baby, grill!

Thu 8 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
It's 100 degrees here today so I decided to grill a chicken. It was my first ever grilling attempt.

I was going to cook it in the oven so I dry brined it for about 30 hours before deciding to try to grill it -- I was worried that it would be too dry but it turned out fabulous! And it was so easy!!

Here's the recipe I used:

Quote:

1 (3 pound) chicken, split in half lengthwise
garlic powder to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch seasoned salt
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoned pepper

1.Preheat grill for high heat.
2.In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the beer, butter, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and seasoned pepper. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted and mixture is hot. Set aside.
3.Season chicken generously with the garlic powder, ground black pepper and seasoned salt to taste.
4.Brush the grilling surface with oil. Place chicken onto the grill bone side down. Close the lid, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken skin is starting to blister.
5.Turn the chicken over, so it is bone side up. They will be black and charred, but the chicken meat will be fine. Pierce the membrane of the bone with a fork, and ladle some of the beer mixture into the 'cup' formed by the bones. Throw a teaspoon or so of garlic powder on the coals, close the lid, and seal the vents.
6.Repeat ladling the beer mixture into the chicken, and throwing garlic powder onto the coals every 5 minutes, until the mixture is gone. The chicken should be tender and juices should run clear.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Beer-Chicken/Detail.aspx

What is your favorite grilling technique/recipe?

Thanks!

failures art

Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:20 pm
Let's put some shrimp on the bar--

Nah... So passe.

Vegan idea: Grill Zucchinni with cayanne pepper! Mui caliente!

A
R
T
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:41 am
I like to butterfly the whole chicken as you did, but keep it bone side down and brush with whatever I feel like. Sometimes it's lemon, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper, other times it's more exotic, like sesame oil, star anise, five spice powder, etc., or maybe I'll do a cajun chicken or Indian.

Other times I like the beer can chicken, but you can use any broth - put a rub on the chicken then throw the rest into the broth in the can.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:04 am
Bittman just had an article on 101 grilling ideas in the NYT. I posted it around here somewhere. Lots of great veggie/fruit/dessert ideas as well as the standard meat stuff.

here it is

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/dining/30mini.html
Pepijn Sweep

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:27 am
@ehBeth,
I am not a BBQ-er, but I saw nice receipes with fruit ! You posted them in the "ask the cooks"@A2K.com I think... Olga would now where. <)o0O
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:51 am
Grilling in S Florida is a must in the summer. My oven is unplugged
But I find myself grilling for salads now. Sirloins and chicken(skinless boneless selling at an amazing $1.59 a lb) spiced up and sliced thin in a salad.

Even chorizo and Italian sausage goes good with a little feta in a Romaine salad.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:13 am
Yum. I think I could learn to love this grilling thing! I've always been a bit indimidated by grilling but right now I'm more intimidated by the temperatures -- we don't have air conditioning and turning the oven on is out of the question.

I thought my garden would be a goner this year because the summer started off so wet and cold but the heat this week has helped get it back on track. I grow vegetables and my back fence neighbors grow fruit so we swap stuff all summer long. Hopefully I'll be able to try lots of the fruit, veg, and salad ideas here using super fresh stuff.
ehBeth

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:19 am
@boomerang,
I really want to try the grilled radishes from the Bittman link. I think that could be mad good.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@boomerang,
As an FYI, your crock pot/slow cooker is another alternative to in-kitchen cooking with the stove and oven in hot temperatures.

It is even better if you have an electrical outlet outdoors or in the garage that you can plug into.
Butrflynet

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here are some summertime slow cooker recipes to give you some inspiration:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06211/709127-34.stm

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/summer-slow-cooker-recipes

If you have a pressure cooker, that too can be plugged in and used outdoors.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:47 pm
The outdoor grill is a great way to make pizza. Make a standard pizza dough and...
>Preheat grill for high heat. Heat some olive oil with garlic for 30 seconds in the microwave. Set aside. Punch down dough, and divide in half. Form each half into an oblong shape 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
>Brush grill grate with garlic flavored olive oil. Carefully place one piece of dough on hot grill. The dough will begin to puff almost immediately. When the bottom crust has lightly browned, turn the dough over using two spatulas. Working quickly, brush oil over crust, and then brush with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce. Arrange 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/8 cup sliced black olives, and 1/8 cup roasted red peppers (and other topping you like) over crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons basil. Close the grill lid, and cook until the cheese melts. Remove from grill, and set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the second pizza.

0 Replies