Bookmark ?!?!

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:48 am
Okay, granted I've not been here a month, but I've seen several posts with just "bookmark" as the posting. What does it mean? I mean...it's a no-reference, no-link kinda thing. just 'bookmark' sitting out there...what for?

p.s. - good morning y'all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,051 • Replies: 33
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:55 am
Bookmark just means one has tagged a topic for future reference.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:55 am
tks
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:56 am
No problemo.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:29 am
Selecting "Turn on email updates" at the bottom right of the page accomplishes much the same thing - without the rest of us opening a discussion just to find the last entry was a "bookmark."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:30 am
bookmark
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
I agree with roger. For some reason, seeing "bookmark" always irritates me. It's like stumbling on someone's personal diary, I guess. Not that much of anything personal is being revealed...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
I saw that coming, dys...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:35 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Some sites ban members for doing that bookmark thing.

Roger's trick is what I recommend, but some people don't want the emails. The real solution is not yet available (allowing members to save threads on site) but used to be (was taken down because my code was buggy).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:52 am
Onyxelle, if you have ever tried to re-find a site which interests you, without having posted at least a "bookmark", then you will know why bookmarking is popular.
But, I agree it's annoying when you find the latest post is only someone bookmarking, when you were looking forward to pearls of wisdom, dazzling insights, or at least a good laugh.

McT
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:30 pm
And, anyone can always just save a link as a favorite in order to create a "bookmark", but without creating an unnecessary email update for others.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 04:48 pm
Sorry. I'm a guilty bookmarker. Forgive me. Don't want the emails and don't know how to do the favorites thing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:21 pm
By doing the "bookmark" thing, you are probably already doing the favorites thing. If so, here's how to skip the "bookmark post."

It isn't necessary to create a post with the words bookmark in it to get an URL address to put into your browser's list of bookmarked/favorites.

Take a look at the header of every post. There are two pieces of information there. One is the date and time it was posted and the other is the index number of the post. If you click on that index number, it gives you the url for that specific post which you can then add to your browser's bookmarks/favorites list.

You'll return to the message thread the same way, by clicking on the item in your bookmark list.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:48 pm
Thanks Butrfly. I can always count on you to come to the rescue ;-) :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:11 pm
I tried clicking on that, but it just brings me right back to the same page. Where do I find the favorites? You'd think after all this time being here that I'd know this, sheeesh!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:14 am
McTag wrote:
Onyxelle, if you have ever tried to re-find a site which interests you, without having posted at least a "bookmark", then you will know why bookmarking is popular.
But, I agree it's annoying when you find the latest post is only someone bookmarking, when you were looking forward to pearls of wisdom, dazzling insights, or at least a good laugh.

McT

If you every thought I had a pearl of dazzling insight - I fooled you! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:19 am
Unless I can figure out this favorites thing I will continue to bookmark. If I don't, I lose a thread I'm interested in following or responding to later.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:25 am
Ok, Montana, teach me what it is you do once you've typed "bookmark" into a post and submit it. How do you keep track of that post so you can come back to it?

Once I know that, I can help you figure out what to do.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:38 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Ok, Montana, teach me what it is you do once you've typed "bookmark" into a post and submit it. How do you keep track of that post so you can come back to it?

Once I know that, I can help you figure out what to do.

for example I operate mostly out of "Your Posts" since I open and close my explorer window some 25 to 30 times a day
0 Replies