Is it IMPOSSIBLE to describe Physical Objects solely in terms of Sensory Experience?

tigasa

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 01:05 pm
Is my attempt a failure? Can you think of a better one?

Philosophy: the Basics - pg 106

CRITICISMS OF PHENOMENALISM
Difficulty of describing objects

The hypothetical possibility of a guitar leaning on the wall - a description without reference to a physical object:

Senses experiences are received by the brain - hence someone with with damage to their spinal chord may experience no touch perception below the waste, and a blind person may not experience visual perception. It could so happen that my brain experiences a series of neurological occurrences which together form to create the illusion or image of a guitar leaning on the wall. These would include a stimulation of the optical lobe creating the image of light and dark contrasts portraying a guitar leaning at an angle - with primary characteristics of shape, immobility and size, as well as secondary characteristics of lets say a colour of rich magnolia, light areas alluding to reflections off the strings. In all intended purposes the interlinking functions of the brain are caused by electrical impulses, which could technically be created artificially without the casual need of soft external objects (light) or hard external objects (the guitar).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 830 • Replies: 0
No top replies