What are you listening to right now?

hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:59 am
What I've read suggests that Nico was forced on the Velvets by Andy Warhol for aesthetic value (she was a model) but such is rock music that musicality is not essential to add something interesting to genre - John Lydon being a case in point.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
good case in point
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
I am listening to, in my head, courtesy of my 13 year old, Eric Cartman singing "Come Sail Away" This has been going on for several hours now and I have instructed squinney to sue Styx, the creators of South Park and Comedy Central should I snap and commit suicide......also to ground Seth for a month....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:04 am
Was there ever a more insidious melody?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:13 am
I'm a voracious reader of music literature and I'd like to share with you an extract of the 'The Illustrated Rock Handbook' published in 1983 from the entry on Styx.

"Styx are presently as contrived and as smooth as ever, and still as successful. Who buys these records?"

My overriding memory of them is a guy I went to school with who adored them. Age 17-18 he lost his virginity to a girl 16-17 and she got pregant the first time... in the back of a panel van...as 'The best of times' played in the van's stereo. Oh, god, the humanity.

Phil Manzanera is still playing - double cd. If you've got cash to spare and an eclectic taste - give it a burl.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:23 am
Here's a rumour I need you to address Hinge:

Hotel California was supposedly a melody stolen from Jethro Tull on a tour date where the Eagles opened for Tull. It's based on a song by Tull called...hang on, gotta check my CD's
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:26 am
I probably know the Eagles better than Tull but I can guarantee I've never heard that rumour.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
"We Used To Know"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
just for fun check out the similarities...a straight steal
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
check the bottom of the page:

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/h/ho/hotel_california.html

Looks like the rumour may be true. Do you have 'Stand Up'. Do you agree that the chord progression is nearly identical. If so I'm adding to my list of great song ripoffs (or the more politically correct term: starting points)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:14 pm
deepvibes.org -> Mixes -> Guest Mix by DJ Earon.

Pretty smooth mix ... like it. Happy, nice ... if I would still go dancing, it'd have to be at some deep house party - deep happy soul beats ... yeah.

<wistful>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:16 pm
hingehead, i remember you i think ... from some music thread on abuzz way back years ago ... you posted some good stuff.

that musta been in, like, late 2000 or 2001 or so though - can that be? you probably dont remember me ... "no-itsme".
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:17 pm
i'm excited about hinge , he's already shown a tremendous fluidity in music history.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
Rhamag wrote:
I am listening to alot of The Smiths' old material, and trying not to get too depressed!

panzade wrote:
losing proposition I'm afraid.

LOL!

Hoooaaa ... eighties flash-back. "Meee-aaat ... is muu-urderr"

sayssomeonewhoactuallyownedathesmithsANDajoydivisionshirt-buthell,howmuchbetterjoydivisionwas
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:24 pm
And of course, I have Stand Up and the chord pattern:
l m-V-VII-IV-VI-III-II-V

is identical
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:10 pm
Hi Nimh - of course I remember you - it's been like an abuzz reunion since I got here: deb lowan, boomer, msolga, squinney, craven, swimpy, bi-polar and stacks more.

Pan - thanks, Hotel California goes into the database. I looked up Coup De Grass in allmusic, when was the last time you listened to Rhythm & Bluegrass?

Right now I'm listening to Yazoo's greatest hits (Yaz if you're in the US) - not by choice, large tasteless collection and a random selection method. Mostly sterile 80s synth pop. But some good bits, and of course it dredges up memories...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
A night out with Verve 4 cd set - Roland Kirk's version of 'Someone to watch over me' reinforcing my mood
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:50 pm
Mozart
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
Hey, hingehead. Glad to see you made it to a2k. Used to appreciate your authoritative answers on technical stuff on Abuzz.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:55 pm
omigod roger and jose! This is like returning to your home town after twenty years away.

Jose - which Mozart?
0 Replies