Tibetans Underwent Fastest Evolution Seen in Humans

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
By Jeremy Hsu, LiveScience Senior Writer
July 1, 2010

Researchers say that Tibetans underwent the fastest genetic changes seen yet in humans during their adaptation to life at high altitudes. Life at high altitudes forced ancient Tibetans to undergo the fastest evolution ever seen in humans, according to a new study.

The most rapid genetic change showed up in the EPAS1 gene, which helps regulate the body's response to a low-oxygen environment. One version, called an allele, of the EPAS1 gene changed in frequency from showing up in 9 percent of the Han Chinese to 87 percent of Tibetans.

Such genetic changes suggest Tibetan ancestors split off from the Han Chinese population about 2,750 years ago, researchers say. But only those most evolutionarily suited for life at high altitudes survived when they moved to the Tibetan Plateau.

"It took only a few hundred generations to change the allele frequency, which can only happen if a lot of people have died," said Rasmus Nielsen, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California at Berkeley. "In that sense, it must have had a strong effect on fitness."

The Tibetan example of human evolution beats the previous record holders in northern Europe, who evolved lactose tolerance to digest the milk sugar lactose over the course of about 7,500 years.

Exactly how the EPAS1 allele helps humans adapt to oxygen deprivation remains unknown. But the study suggests that most Han Chinese who could not adapt to high-altitude environments did not do well in passing on their genes.

From lowlands to mountains

Modern Tibetans have evolved to survive the thin air (molecules of air become less tightly packed with altitude) without making more red blood cells and hemoglobin, which is the protein that helps carry oxygen in the blood.

By contrast, a lowlander would eventually see his or her body compensate for the lack of oxygen by developing more red blood cells and hemoglobin. That helps them deal with 40-percent lower oxygen levels compared with sea level at elevations above 13,000 feet (3,962 meters).

"If we go to high altitude, we produce more hemoglobin, but there's a cost to that," Nielsen told LiveScience. "Tibetans can perform even better without the extra hemoglobin."

Too much hemoglobin can lead to chronic altitude sickness, which involves thick and viscous blood. Lowlanders still end up tiring more easily, developing headaches, having babies with lower birth weights and also suffering higher infant mortality rates.

Nielsen and his colleagues in Europe and China focused on tracing the evolutionary lineage of Tibetans, rather than starting with the physiological changes that have made modern Tibetans so well-adapted to high altitudes.

"Usually you'd take a lot of Tibetans who respond well to oxygen deprivation and those who don't, and try to find a genetic difference," Nielsen explained. "We did it the other way around."

Counting the differences

The study sequenced 92 percent of the genomes of 50 non-related Tibetans living in two villages within the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, as well as 40 Han Chinese from Beijing. The Tibetan villages were located at elevations of 14,100 feet (4,300 meters) and 15,100 feet (4,600 meters).

The data came from the Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI) in Shenzhen, which Nielsen described as the biggest sequencing center in the world and capable of beating any Western counterparts.

Chinese researchers also used blood samples to measure oxygen saturation, red blood cell concentration and hemoglobin levels, so they could compare physiological changes tied to genetic differences.

Results revealed about 30 genes with mutations that had become more common in Tibetans than in Han Chinese. Nearly half of those related to how the body uses oxygen.

The most dramatic example of change came from a mutation carried by one of the EPAS1 alleles. Tibetans with two mutated alleles – one from each parent – had significantly lower hemoglobin concentrations and could still do well at high altitudes.

But researchers could not say for sure whether the Tibetans had evolved away from the Han Chinese or vice versa. They needed a third group for comparison.

That group came in the form of 200 Danes, whose genomes had almost zero percent of the EPAS1 allele thought to be adaptive for high altitudes. The data combined with simulations to suggest the Tibetans had undergone major genetic changes.

Tracing lineage

Questions remain about not only the physiological adaptations that make Tibetans fit for high-altitude living, but also about the Tibetan ancestors and their origin.

The genetic analysis suggests the larger group of Tibetans that moved to the Tibetan Plateau some 2,750 years ago eventually shrank, while the smaller group that moved to the lower elevations expanded greatly into the modern-day Han Chinese population.

Historical evidence shows that people have lived on the Tibetan Plateau for longer than 3,000 years, Nielsen noted. He and his colleagues speculate the Tibetans either merged with the people already living on the plateau, or replaced them.

Either way, Nielsen said the study has no relevance for the ongoing debate over whether Tibet belongs as part of China. Ethnic groups define themselves by culture and history, he added.

"I'm from Denmark and probably genetically indistinguishable from someone from Sweden, but doesn't mean they're the same country," Nielsen said. "I'd argue that genetics is irrelevant to Tibetan self-determination."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 944 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 10:41 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Interesting story. Thanks, B!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
So.... what happens to the blood of Tibetans who have emigrated from Tibet to lower-elevation areas (like the US). Can they end up with too much O2?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:20 pm
@littlek,
Good question. I assume they would adjust. I suppose it's harder to adjust to high elevation than sea level. Would the change create something like the "bends" that sea divers experience?

My daughter, Butrflynut, when she and her brother move from sea level in northern California to the 5000 feet high desert in Albuquerque, it took her several weeks to adjust her breathing. Her brother had some, but less difficulty than his sister. Unlike them, when I moved here in 2002, I had no trouble with the altitude. I don't know why were different.

BBB

littlek

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Are they more active than you are, maybe? When I moved from near sea level to Santa Fe (somewhere around 7000') as a very healthy 21-year old, I was fine until I tried to climb a mountain. And I was never able to hike the ski mountain near town which was closer to 10,000'.

The bends are about pressure, I think. When divers come from higher pressure to lower pressure the gases in their blood expand. Tibetans moving from the Himalayas to lower lands would have contracting gases (going from lower pressure to higher pressure). It'll be interesting to see what they come up with - why and how the allele works.
talk72000

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Much depends on how old one was made to acclimatize. If they acclimatize as children then it makes a lot of difference than if they moved as adults to the higher altitudes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
The Tibetan example of human evolution beats the previous record holders in northern Europe, who evolved lactose tolerance to digest the milk sugar lactose over the course of about 7,500 years

SO.....what did babies eat back before they drank breast milk??
Green Witch

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
You would have to do a little research on the details, but my understanding is that babies used to lose their tolerance to lactose as they were weaned. Once humans started animal husbandry they started to feed their children the milk of herding animals and young children might develop a tolerance for milk held over from babyhood. Children that could easily tolerate the animal milk were more likely to survive and thrive because of the extra calories and fat. Over time the lactose tolerant children dominated the gene pool. Sorry if this is not well written, I'm a little pooped.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 12:24 am
@littlek,
Quote:
The bends are about pressure, I think. When divers come from higher pressure to lower pressure the gases in their blood expand.

The bends are about pressure, yes, but more so about nitrogen concentrations in the blood. At depth, the nitrogen builds up, so a diver either spends a set, safe amount of time at a certain depth, from which they can ascend without danger or that same diver reacclimatizes to normal atmospheric pressure by hanging at certain depths for certain set times, then moving up to a new depth and hanging there for a set period.

All these "stops" are determined by how deep and how long one has spent at depth. Excess nitrogen in the blood seeps into the joints and causes excruciating pain.

If I recall my dive tables correctly, down time at 33 feet [= 2 atmospheres] is about 2 hours, 66 feet is about 1 hour [??], and around 100 feet, down time is about 15 minutes. All these assume no stops are needed to the surface.

Special mixes where nitrogen is replaced in the tank gas mixture to helium removes or greatly reduces the chances for the bends.

Bends are not an issue for air pressure but rapid rise to altitude can cause HAPE [High Altitude Pulmonary Edema] or HACE [High Altitude Cerebral Edema]. Both or either have been know to kill low landers who have gone to higher altitude ski resorts.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:41 am
Isn't it fun that so many A2Kers are so smart about so many things? I learn so much from them. It ain't easy so easy to type five "so" in a sentence.

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

By Jeremy Hsu, LiveScience Senior Writer
July 1, 2010

Exactly how the EPAS1 allele helps humans adapt to oxygen deprivation remains unknown. But the study suggests that most Han Chinese who could not adapt to high-altitude environments did not do well in passing on their genes.

This is obvious. The problem is partial pressure of oxygen, not the percentage of oxygen. Whether the problem is in the red blood cells, or the interfaces in the lungs, I don't know, but it is almost impossible for a sea level adapted woman to give live birth in the higher elevations of Peru, regardless of the percentage of oxygen entering her lungs. The partial pressure has to be there or it isn't adsorbed.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:22 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I guess altitude is the harshest environment for which a genetic variation exists that can compensate. If populations were forced to live in aquatic environments I expect we would see some pretty fast evolution as well.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:32 am
@littlek,
Just like when someone who lives in Denver moves to San Fransisco. If they jog a mile it seems much easier for a few months, until they acclimate. The Tibetan will adjust faster I assume because of the already normal red cell count. The person from Denver likely does well at their altitude because of an elevated red cell count, assuming that they don't have the gene switched on that the tibetan is likely to have.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
My daughter, Butrflynut

well, she might be a little wacky sometimes, but i don't think i'd resort to name calling Wink

interesting article
Foofie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:42 am
So, aside from the differences in DNA between different Asian populations, why are there subtle differences in appearance according to what I am told. (I really cannot tell the difference between different Asian populations. My youth had no Asians in my school. Is it my fault I grew up in a world that was depicted by Norman Rockwell, even though my immediate world was a mix of European ethnics, Hispanics, and African-Americans?)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:09 pm
@djjd62,
Aha! You spotted my typo that I didn't notice. I'm getting too old to type, I guess. But, Butrflynet will forgive me because I created space for a large garden to satisfy her digging desires.

BBB Laughing Embarrassed
0 Replies