Race and Intelligence

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:41 pm
Racial Differences in Intelligence: What Mainstream Science Says.

Study claims IQ differences at least 50% genetic | Science Blog
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,945 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:23 am
@JBeukema,
In a 1987 survey of scholars in specialties related to IQ, 37% or respondents supported the entirely genetic position, 53.1% of respondents supported the partly genetic position, 7.7% supported the entirely environmental position, and 8.2% responded that there was insufficient data "to support any reasonable opinion" (Snyderman & Rothman, 1987).
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:39 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67317 wrote:
53.1% of respondents supported the partly genetic position,

All the evidence I've seen appears to support this position. Just like body size, the end result seems to be affected by both genetic predisposition as well as environmental factors
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:52 am
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67329 wrote:
All the evidence I've seen appears to support this position. Just like body size, the end result seems to be affected by both genetic predisposition as well as environmental factors

The only question is "by how much?"

It becomes more difficult because on a genetic level race doesn't exist (at least in humans). You cannot point to any specific gene and say "all white people have this gene that other ethnicities don't have", because it isn't true. There is no clear line between one ethnicity and another, genetically speaking. And to a certain extent our genetics are influenced by our environment as evolution demonstrates. Human beings are much more genetically homogeneous compared to other species. The only reason why any ethnicity would share common traits is because they share a common environment.
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:22 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67337 wrote:
The only question is "by how much?"

It becomes more difficult because on a genetic level race doesn't exist (at least in humans)

Incorrect. SNPs can trace one's ancestry and ones mix of the three major races with 95+% accuracy

Quote:
You cannot point to any specific gene and say "all white people have this gene that other ethnicities don't have"

Yes, you can. They're called Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms. That's why DNA evidence can tell police they are looking for a white male suspect. It's the same method used in paternity tests. In The Journey of Man, SNPs are used to trace large-scale human migrations in the past.

Quote:
And to a certain extent our genetics are influenced by our environment as evolution demonstrates. Human beings are much more genetically homogeneous compared to other species. The only reason why any ethnicity would share common traits is because they share a common environment.

Incorrect. They would share a common trait because either they share a common ancestor or because of similar evolutionary pressures coupled with similar mutations.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:42 am
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67342 wrote:
Incorrect. SNPs can trace one's ancestry and ones mix of the three major races with 95+% accuracy

Sorry, this is incorrect there are no human "races" the term is a misnomer. When biologists are talking about a race what they are really talking about is a subspecies, all humans on earth belong to the same subspecies....homo sapien sapiens.

Quote:
Yes, you can. They're called Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms. That's why DNA evidence can tell police they are looking for a white male suspect. It's the same method used in paternity tests. In The Journey of Man, SNPs are used to trace large-scale human migrations in the past.

SNP alleles are not exclusive, what they are doing is looking for a remnant that is common for a particular geographical location. For example, you could find an SNP allele that is very common among those with central african descendents but much rarer among other peoples, it only identifies this within a certain degree of accuracy.

Quote:
Incorrect. They would share a common trait because either they share a common ancestor or because of similar evolutionary pressures coupled with similar mutations.

Well, all humans share a common ancestor and to a greater extent all life shares a common ancestor.

I will give you an example, those with ancestors closer to the equator have darker skin. Do all dark skinned people share a common ancestor that lighter skinned people do not? No, not to any great extent.
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:06 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67344 wrote:

SNP alleles are not exclusive, what they are doing is looking for a remnant that is common for a particular geographical location. For example, you could find an SNP allele that is very common among those with central african descendents but much rarer among other peoples, it only identifies this within a certain degree of accuracy. hose which only developed once are exclusive to those of shared ancestory. To deny this, you must reject paternity testing and DNA evidence in court. It is the same technology and is based in the same science.

Quote:
I will give you an example, those with ancestors closer to the equator have darker skin. Do all dark skinned people share a common ancestor that lighter skinned people do not? No, not to any great extent.

actually...

https://uwstudentfpweb.uwyo.edu/j/jlee35/Migration.gif
mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@JBeukema,
ok.. so if race and language werent dispersed and scattered at babel.. what happened?
mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67360 wrote:
ok.. so if race and language werent dispersed and scattered at babel.. what happened?

nevermind.. im seriously trying to get off the jesus subject.. and im finding it difficult lol;)
0 Replies

JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:40 pm
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67360 wrote:

People moved :p
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:42 pm
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67360 wrote:

Is this a serious question?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:58 pm
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67355 wrote:
hose which only developed once are exclusive to those of shared ancestory. To deny this, you must reject paternity testing and DNA evidence in court. It is the same technology and is based in the same science.

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome

Quote:
actually...

<MAP>

Your map does not refute anything i've said.
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:58 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67372 wrote:
Is this a serious question?

yes.. for cereal.. haha.. they moved.. grrrrr.. duh!!.. but did these peoples just create their own languages?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:06 pm
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67375 wrote:
yes.. for cereal.. haha.. they moved.. grrrrr.. duh!!.. but did these peoples just create their own languages?

Well, language would have started off very primitive, basically just sounds to indicate if there was water or danger nearby, and it slowly became more complex, since most humans came from the same small group coming out africa there would have been just one language initially, and when these group migrates and spread out they became isolated, they would eventually pronoun words differently because they were isolated and they would come up with their own words to describe their own environment. Language "evolved" so to speak, no pun intended.

http://ninitalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/indoeuropean20language20family20tree.jpg
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:15 pm
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67375 wrote:

After two hundred years, Americans and Britons can barely speak to eachother. That's with modern developments that allow us to even communicate.
mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:28 pm
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67379 wrote:
After two hundred years, Americans and Britons can barely speak to eachother. That's with modern developments that allow us to even communicate.

and it's a shame too lol.. i love british accents.. im partial to cockney and scousers lol.. i like all foreign accents really.. im not much impressed with america anymore. im a patriot.. but not how most would think. and i spent time in the military.. so dont tell me im hating on our soldiers.. i have mad love mad respect to the men and women in uniform doing the dirty dirty for whoever makes the rules.. while they play risk with the enemy.. *bin laden i guess* and listening to phonics in their ipod.. (i am making a reference to the man who started this war.. dubya)
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 01:35 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67376 wrote:
Well, language would have started off very primitive, basically just sounds to indicate if there was water or danger nearby, and it slowly became more complex, since most humans came from the same small group coming out africa there would have been just one language initially, and when these group migrates and spread out they became isolated, they would eventually pronoun words differently because they were isolated and they would come up with their own words to describe their own environment. Language "evolved" so to speak, no pun intended.

http://ninitalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/indoeuropean20language20family20tree.jpg

Very Happy thank u Fatal
0 Replies

Whip

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:22 pm
@JBeukema,
So, all races came out of Africa, according to some. Also, (according to some), black Africans are the first people of the earth. If this is true, (all races descending from the black race - Oops, species - since FF adheres to the belief that there is only ONE race), why is the black race/species the least productive and intelligent on this planet; why have blacks fell behind their non-black descendants? Or, through evolution....are blacks the beginning of the racial chain and all descending races more intelligent/productive because they are the later stages of evolution? Points to ponder.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:28 pm
@Whip,
Whip;67394 wrote:
So, all races came out of Africa, according to some. Also, (according to some), black Africans are the first people of the earth. If this is true, (all races descending from the black race - Oops, species - since FF adheres to the belief that there is only ONE race), why is the black race/species the least productive and intelligent on this planet; why have blacks fell behind their non-black descendants? Or, through evolution....are blacks the beginning of the racial chain and all descending races more intelligent/productive because they are the later stages of evolution? Points to ponder.

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:51 pm
@JBeukema,
and again..we have whip.. with his self righteous attitude.. i have learned to expect no less from the christian population. whip.. why dont u ask your god for the answers to stupid questions such as this.. for they advertise your ignorance.. let me guess.. because ur christian.. you must believe that your jesus was white.. u know.. like the white man who painted him?.. lololol... i dont know why i keep forgetting.. christians are more driven by hatred than any other people on earth.
0 Replies