Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

rufio

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:59 am
Any of you play Myst games? This one looks pretty awesome, especially the online part. I haven't gotten it yet, because I need a new driver before the videos will work properly. I played the demo and crashed my windows partition. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,079 • Replies: 14
No top replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:37 pm
My brother is getting Uru for christmas, but he played a bit with it before adding it to his list (getting a spot on that list requires supreme video game status). He had the following to say: he liked it most because it had a lot more to do with the first game (Myst) than with the story lines in Riven and Exile. He also thought it would be more complicated than Exile, whose biggest challenge for him was getting it to play on our computer.

I for myself tried to play Myst and got hopelessly lost. . . it took my brother many many hours to beat and he played almost obsessively for days. . . but he loves them. I'm more of a Majesty freak.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:38 pm
I had help on Myst, but I definitely played Riven pretty obcessively for a couple weeks in my spare time. If your computer has issues with Exile, though, Uru will kill it. I've heard it needs like 512 MB of RAM for all parts of it to run properly. I have heard that it's more history-oriented, and you spend more time looking at things and discovering things than driving a plot of some sort, though. Either way it's all good. I think there's actually a more plot-based Myst IV that's coming out at some point, but I don't know when. Myst is the hardest I think, since you have no clear objective at the start - but if you work through it, it's definitely worth it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:42 pm
ooooohhhh, cool. How much does that driver cost?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:52 am
Free off of the NVIDIA website, I'm pretty sure. I had to buy 256 mb of RAM though, too, which cost more than the game. It's probably an upgrade that I would have made sooner or later though, anyway.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:34 am
We had to upgrade the system in order to play exile but you're right, rufio, it's an upgrade we would've made anyway, so it was all good :-)

Uru's a bit pricey (50 bucks). . . were all the other myst games as bad? (I found a Myst three pack- all the first three for 20 bucks. . .)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:40 am
Hey, I was about to send out a search party for you p'ash.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:41 am
I took a very extended and relaxing Thanksgiving vacation, no internet allowed :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:52 am
The guys at Cyan used to be neighbors, and the kid is working on a job shadow there via school at Cyan
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
Am I correct... the original 3 games (the ones that come in the 'trilogy' pack)... require Windows 98???

I was told that they wouldn't play on XP....

I'm taking an old computer, and reformatting the hard drive, to Windows 98.... JUST so I can finally play Myst!!!

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:56 pm
I've actually heard that a lot of things that were originally written for old versions of windows don't work with NT or XP. I don't know about Exile though, that was relatively recent anyway.
0 Replies

Robert2513

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:47 pm
I have the Trilogy Pack of Myst and they all worked fine for me on XP.

I'm glad to see a fourth game has come out in the series. I'll have to check it out.
Thanks for the info, I had no idea a new one came out. Smile
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:05 pm
As far as I remember, the original Myst will not work on XP, although the recently re-released trilogy pack will. . . since it only costs 20 bucks, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new computer, even a win98 machine!
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:13 pm
OhMyGosh.... Robert and P'Ash.... Thank You!!!

<running out the door, waving my $20 bill, to buy the trilogy pack>.....

Everyone who knows me, says that I would love Myst....

Yippee!!

:-)
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:16 pm
Run, PaL, Run!
0 Replies