British teachers are suddenly happy to teach creationism!

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 03:30 am
Islam is the reason British teachers are suddenly happy to teach creationism

One in three teachers believe that creationism should be taught in school science lessons. Why? It's not because they've developed a sudden respect for fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Bible. It's because devout Muslim pupils - and their parents - regard Darwin's teachings as blasphemous.

The science of evolution contradicts a literal reading of the Koran, just as it contradicts the seven-day creation narrative of Genesis. The difference is that most devout Muslims - more than 90 per cent worldwide - accept Islam's account of creation as the simple truth, whereas in Britain only a small minority of churchgoers are creationists.

In the last five years, Harun Yahya, a Turkish-based Islamic creationist propaganda machine, has been flooding the developed world with sophisticated material, including an incredibly glossy, huge and heavy 800-page Atlas of Creation which "proves" that all living species were created simultaneously. "Living beings have not undergone the slightest change for hundreds of millions of years," it asserts.

Multiple copies of this "atlas" have arrived at the two newspaper offices where I work, the Telegraph and the Catholic Herald. Schools all over the country are receiving unsolicited copies for their libraries. Is anyone even flicking through them before they go on the shelves? My guess is that the book is fast becoming an accepted resouce for state schools with Muslim pupils. Who is paying for this vast work of fantasy dressed up as science? I bet the funding doesn't all come from Turkey. Saudi, perhaps?

Meanwhile, as counterknowledge.com reports, the influence of Adnan Oktar, the fundamentalist who runs Harun Yahya, is growing enormously. Oktar has managed to block access in Turkey to numerous websites that challenge him, including at one stage Google groups. According to one report, 61 websites have been targeted by Oktar/Yahya, whose work has been translated into 57 languages.

This is a battle that the educational establishment just isn't prepared for. Guardian readers associate creationism with US Republicans, not ethnic minorities. Now they face a painful dilemma: should they fight to exclude the creationist viewpoint from science lessons, risking accusations of Islamophobia from angry parents, or should they embrace pseudoscience in the name of cultural diversity? It's a tough one.

Harun Yahya - An Invitation to The Truth
Atlas of Creation.com - Harun Yahya
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:10 am
@ahmetsecer,
I find this both ironic and a shame.

A shame because fundamentalists are able to impose their will on the education system in the UK. What a pity.

Ironic because the UK has a higher acceptance of evolution and some of the greatest evolutionary biologists in the world, yet they have creationism taught in schools before the more religious country of the US.

I suppose the difference is in our court system. American courts have continually ruled against creationism.
ahmetsecer

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 06:11 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
I really dont understand why you are so afraid that theachers educate all truths to students? Why you offer to change your court system? Isn't there any freedom of thought in your country?

Of course teachers can believe God and explain creationism & students can believe or not, why are you so in panic about teaching Darwinism's collapse? Can't anybody critize Darwinism in your country? In fact the truth about the lie of Darwinism is evident and everybody is aware. What is the reason of this panic. This look like the middle ages, when some books were burned and hidden because they were telling the truths. But there is nothing to do at this point. Becuse all the world knows about the fact of creation. There is no return!!!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:17 am
@ahmetsecer,
ahmetsecer;62439 wrote:
I really dont understand why you are so afraid that teachers educate all truths to students? Why you offer to change your court system? Isn't there any freedom of thought in your country?

The problem is this: the creation/ID movement asks that their ideas be injected into the science curriculum all the while as for favors in skipping all the scientific rigors and peer review that evolutionary theory had to go through. Not to mention that creationism is not science and doesn't belong in a science class, creationists do this so they can impose their worldview on to other people's children. It is a slippery slope indeed, if you can teach creationism, why can't you teach alchemy alongside chemistry, or geocentrism alongside heliocentrism, or miasma theory alongside germ theory?

Quote:

Of course teachers can believe God and explain creationism & students can believe or not, why are you so in panic about teaching Darwinism's collapse?

This is a violation of my country's constitution, we cannot fund religious views with public tax dollars.

Quote:

Can't anybody critize Darwinism in your country?

Yes, Many do criticize evolution free speech is encouraged in my country as opposed to your country where only criticism against evolution is allowed and any criticism against Islamic Literalism is labeled as blasphemy and silenced or censored.

Quote:

In fact the truth about the lie of Darwinism is evident and everybody is aware.

Hardly, countries who have a higher acceptance of evolution also are countries with higher average IQ's. Scientific acceptance of evolution is nearly unanimous.

Quote:
What is the reason of this panic.

Degradation of the education system. Which is why the education system in the US is superior to that of Turkey.

Quote:

This look like the middle ages, when some books were burned and hidden because they were telling the truths.

like this book? which the person you admire is trying to censor.

http://robot.iespana.es/articulos/darwin/origin_of_species.gif

Quote:
Becuse all the world knows about the fact of creation. There is no return!!!

Irrational certainty is prevalent, which has led to the downfall of creationism in academic circles.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:33 am
@ahmetsecer,
ahmetsecer;62431 wrote:

One in three teachers believe that creationism should be taught in school science lessons. Why? It's not because they've developed a sudden respect for fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Bible. It's because devout Muslim pupils - and their parents - regard Darwin's teachings as blasphemous.

The science of evolution contradicts a literal reading of the Koran, just as it contradicts the seven-day creation narrative of Genesis. The difference is that most devout Muslims - more than 90 per cent worldwide - accept Islam's account of creation as the simple truth, whereas in Britain only a small minority of churchgoers are creationists.

In the last five years, Harun Yahya, a Turkish-based Islamic creationist propaganda machine, has been flooding the developed world with sophisticated material, including an incredibly glossy, huge and heavy 800-page Atlas of Creation which "proves" that all living species were created simultaneously. "Living beings have not undergone the slightest change for hundreds of millions of years," it asserts.

Multiple copies of this "atlas" have arrived at the two newspaper offices where I work, the Telegraph and the Catholic Herald. Schools all over the country are receiving unsolicited copies for their libraries. Is anyone even flicking through them before they go on the shelves? My guess is that the book is fast becoming an accepted resouce for state schools with Muslim pupils. Who is paying for this vast work of fantasy dressed up as science? I bet the funding doesn't all come from Turkey. Saudi, perhaps?

Meanwhile, as counterknowledge.com reports, the influence of Adnan Oktar, the fundamentalist who runs Harun Yahya, is growing enormously. Oktar has managed to block access in Turkey to numerous websites that challenge him, including at one stage Google groups. According to one report, 61 websites have been targeted by Oktar/Yahya, whose work has been translated into 57 languages.

This is a battle that the educational establishment just isn't prepared for. Guardian readers associate creationism with US Republicans, not ethnic minorities. Now they face a painful dilemma: should they fight to exclude the creationist viewpoint from science lessons, risking accusations of Islamophobia from angry parents, or should they embrace pseudoscience in the name of cultural diversity? It's a tough one.

Dear oh Dear oh Dear,

Truely you have such a simplified, small minded view of the UK Education System. Creationism as a serious subject is not taught in Secondary school, it is part of Religous Education, nothing more. Primary school children are taught, along side dinosaurs and the solar system, Bible stories, and that is how they are portrayed.

My daughter is nine and believes in God, she also wants nothing for christmas except an Amonite, a fossil, go figure.

True enough there is a battle being fought, though when such institutions like the British Natuaral History Museum are sought on information for the school Curriculum I know who will win out. And it won't be made up stories with no evidence to prove them.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:41 am
@ahmetsecer,
ahmetsecer;62431 wrote:

In the last five years, Harun Yahya, a Turkish-based Islamic creationist [SIZE="5"]propaganda[/SIZE] machine, has been flooding the developed world with sophisticated material, including an incredibly glossy, huge and heavy 800-page Atlas of Creation which [SIZE="5"]"proves"[/SIZE] that all living species were created simultaneously. "Living beings have not undergone the slightest change for hundreds of millions of years," it asserts.

Don't think you actually read what you posted here. Is this something to be proud of, perpetuating [SIZE="5"]Propaganda?[/SIZE]
Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:29 am
@Numpty,
Further to my previous posts this a converstion i had with a young gentleman on x-fire about Creation and Evolution

Numpty: ok, you still at school, right, secondary or college? Somtinh I am debating on a site a the moment, do you get taught creation or evolution there?
The Beast: cuz i double click the folder that stores the photos, nd it says stupid ****
The Beast: and we're taught both
The Beast: lol
The Beast: but i h8 RE
The Beast: fuckin bullshit
Numpty: ok so Creation is in RE, is it taught in science?
The Beast: lol, obviously not
Numpty: good good

Not sure if that is 100% understandable, but you get the general idea.

Creation = RE (Religous Education)

Science = Evolution

Hope that clears some stuff up.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:38 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;62448 wrote:
Further to my previous posts this a converstion i had with a young gentleman on x-fire about Creation and Evolution

Numpty: ok, you still at school, right, secondary or college? Somtinh I am debating on a site a the moment, do you get taught creation or evolution there?
The Beast: cuz i double click the folder that stores the photos, nd it says stupid ****
The Beast: and we're taught both
The Beast: lol
The Beast: but i h8 RE
The Beast: ***in bull****
Numpty: ok so Creation is in RE, is it taught in science?
The Beast: lol, obviously not
Numpty: good good

Not sure if that is 100% understandable, but you get the general idea.

Creation = RE (Religous Education)

Science = Evolution

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Yeah, we don't have anything like that over here, the closest thing i can think of is "Comparative Religion" classes offered at some colleges and universities and it's completely from a 3rd person perspective.
Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62449 wrote:
Yeah, we don't have anything like that over here, the closest thing i can think of is "Comparative Religion" classes offered at some colleges and universities and it's completely from a 3rd person perspective.

RE is everything, not just religion, it's social issues aswell, to be honest, you can see the reaction from my mate, pretty much the general concencus.

RE has been taught, for along time, but it's not taken literally.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:53 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;62450 wrote:
RE is everything, not just religion, it's social issues aswell, to be honest, you can see the reaction from my mate, pretty much the general concencus.

RE has been taught, for along time, but it's not taken literally.

Ah, i see. So it's a class that teaches controversial topics?
Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62453 wrote:
Ah, i see. So it's a class that teaches controversial topics?

Can be, we talked about smoking, teenage pregnacies and all that good stuff back in 1991, in our Re class.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;62454 wrote:
Can be, we talked about smoking, teenage pregnacies and all that good stuff back in 1991, in our Re class.

Yeah we divide those kind of topics up into different classes. For example.

-"Nuclear waste management" would be talked about in a science class.

-"Smoking and pregnancies" would be talked about in a health class

-"Abortion and religious radicalism" would be talked about in a social issues class

-"gun rights and affirmative action" would be talked about in a government class

-"holocaust denial and WMDs" would be talked about in a world studies class

and so on...
0 Replies