@Numpty,
Numpty;68660 wrote:
Man,.....you just turned my world upside down. :p

You must watch mythbusters then.
0 Replies

iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:47 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
My biggest problem with the science fiction movies that involve some nasty looking aliens which have the intent of wiping out everything before them, is that if they are such anti social, non directional, irrational unemotional creature then how on earth would they even take the direction of building spacecraft, let alone developing any technology at all.
0 Replies

bisurge

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Science fiction is purely for entertainment purposes or warning purposes. Fanbois of science fiction are just stupid if they actually like the stuff that's presented in the movies (it's mostly just us fighting different-looking versions of us). For instance, iRobot simply warns us not to let artificial minds overpower human minds.
You could be a writer of family guy. "Explosions are always cool." That's why Meg raced a guy on a horse and when the horse and wagon flew off a cliff, they blew up.
Also, many people have already stated that lasers in movies is actually just slow-moving plasma.
YouTube - Family Guy - Race with horse
0 Replies

iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:40 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Absolutely bisurge. Would you agree what I am saying in regards to science fiction movies being so far off, especially with the whole horror appeal to them, if there are aliens they would be nothing like what the movie purports them to be!
0 Replies

bisurge

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:13 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Of course. Aliens probably would nothing be like us. Or even bipedal. Maybe it won't even have legs. Maybe there's some organic and magnetic matter and their whole planet is simply one charge, so they can float.
0 Replies

iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:57 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
I would have to say in theory they would most likely have a similar appearance to us if they faced the same conditions we did, if we did evolve from a distant ancestor.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:28 pm
@iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf,
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf;70096 wrote:
I would have to say in theory they would most likely have a similar appearance to us if they faced the same conditions we did, if we did evolve from a distant ancestor.

That's a big IF.
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:12 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;70151 wrote:
That's a big IF.

Not necessarily, planets would have to be similar to ours if they were to support life, think about how humans have supposedly become so intelligent and you would get a reasonable answer.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
@iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf,
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf;70153 wrote:
Not necessarily, planets would have to be similar to ours if they were to support life, think about how humans have supposedly become so intelligent and you would get a reasonable answer.

Even if another planet was identical to our own, consider the sheer number of different species of life, consider how many different ecosystems, the different symbiotic relationships, consider all of the atmospheric/climate shifts of earth, consider genetic drift and random mutations.

Hypothetically, if a mutation early in the evolution of life occurred either later or early this could send the whole evolutionary tree in a different direction.
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:42 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;70174 wrote:
Even if another planet was identical to our own, consider the sheer number of different species of life, consider how many different ecosystems, the different symbiotic relationships, consider all of the atmospheric/climate shifts of earth, consider genetic drift and random mutations.

Hypothetically, if a mutation early in the evolution of life occurred either later or early this could send the whole evolutionary tree in a different direction.

Very true. I was more using how humans "evolved" intelligence and how other life forms would need to evolve intelligence (especially at our level or even more superior for intergalactic travel) they would need to live the same kind of pathways humans have and in that sense would have a similar appearance, of course that's just all hypotheticals and just my philosophical opinion.
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:00 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
You also have to ask what other paths could evolution take us on, it's only up to the imagination what species there could have been, but everythings been covered by the looks of it, we have aquatic life, mammals, reptiles, flying creatures, microscopic, insects, spiders etc. etc. theres nothing really out of its league. A monkey with wings, but it's still a monkey, a horse that can swim buts its still a horse, a weird creature that has a bill like a duck, it lays eggs, is a mammal, has otter feat and beavor tail the male speciemen has a venenmous spur ahh that's a platypus....
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:40 am
@iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf,
iLiKetoPlAyWitHMyseLf;70180 wrote:
Very true. I was more using how humans "evolved" intelligence and how other life forms would need to evolve intelligence (especially at our level or even more superior for intergalactic travel) they would need to live the same kind of pathways humans have and in that sense would have a similar appearance, of course that's just all hypotheticals and just my philosophical opinion.

For aliens to achieve inter-stellar travel they would need two things:

1. High intelligence
2. The ability to manipulate objects

There are a number of ecological niches that could find these traits favorable.
0 Replies