Humans are insignificant.

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:23 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;54843 wrote:
Yeah, we might be specks; but then again, maybe not. For example, why is it that in our five-million-year existence (humans, that is, roughly speaking), we haven't encountered other 'specks' out there? Sure, the Universe is enormous, but the fact remains we're all alone, to the best of our credible knowledge, at least in this corner of the galaxy. That makes us pretty special, in my book. :thumbup:

You're not one of those 'young earth' wacko's are you?
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 08:27 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;54910 wrote:
You're not one of those 'young earth' wacko's are you?

Probably not. Dunno who they are. I just don't think we know enough about the Universe yet to say conclusively humans don't count for much.:dunno:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 08:31 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;54987 wrote:
Probably not. Dunno who they are.

people who believe humans lived with Dinosaurs and that the earth is only 6 thousand years old.

Quote:
I just don't think we know enough about the Universe yet to say conclusively humans don't count for much.:dunno:

or that we know enough about the universe to conclusively say that humans do count for much...

There are a lot of things we don't know, this is the reason we base our decisions on what we do know.
Reagaknight

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 08:38 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
people who believe humans lived with Dinosaurs and that the earth is only 6 thousand years old.

Wait. Are you saying there are people who DON'T believe those things!?Very Happy
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 08:46 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;54999 wrote:
Wait. Are you saying there are people who DON'T believe those things!?Very Happy

yes :p
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:41 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;54992 wrote:

or that we know enough about the universe to conclusively say that humans do count for much...

There are a lot of things we don't know, this is the reason we base our decisions on what we do know.

I don't think we'll ever be able to disprove the possibility of a supreme being.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:58 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;55076 wrote:
I don't think we'll ever be able to disprove the possibility of a supreme being.

nor an invisible flying spagetti monster.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 03:00 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
You still think you're all so clever about that FSM thing, after all this time it's been around? You're just like Christians with the Trinity.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;55172 wrote:
You still think you're all so clever about that FSM thing, after all this time it's been around? You're just like Christians with the Trinity.

Clever? no. It's an old argument yet it works everytime.

When people run out of things to say they always resort to the "well, you can't disprove it" addage, and the FSM shows the folly of believing in something simply because it cannot be disproved.

The fact that that christians still use that line despite being so badly flawed amazes me. :eek:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 08:09 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
When people run out of things to say they always resort to the "well, you can't disprove it" addage, and the FSM shows the folly of believing in something simply because it cannot be disproved.

Anyone who would believe something because of that can hardly grasp the point of the FSM.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 08:35 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;55198 wrote:
Anyone who would believe something because of that can hardly grasp the point of the FSM.

good point :thumbup:

probably the reason it is used so often.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:36 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;54987 wrote:
Probably not. Dunno who they are. I just don't think we know enough about the Universe yet to say conclusively humans don't count for much.:dunno:

And we don't know enough to say we're the center of it, either.

Quote:

Things are not disproven. Things are proven, either proven correct or proven incorrect. This argument is the biggest and most fundamentally flawed of the creationists babble. It shows not only a lack of scientific knowledge, but a total disregard for it.
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:06 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;55236 wrote:
And we don't know enough to say we're the center of it, either.

Things are not disproven. Things are proven, either proven correct or proven incorrect. This argument is the biggest and most fundamentally flawed of the creationists babble. It shows not only a lack of scientific knowledge, but a total disregard for it.

Believe what you want. It's a personal decision. Just don't be a hypocrite and turn religious when you find out you're dying. That's disgusting.:no:
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 05:28 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;55366 wrote:
Believe what you want. It's a personal decision. Just don't be a hypocrite and turn religious when you find out you're dying. That's disgusting.:no:

Don't worry about that.

If there is an afterlife, I am prepared to go just as I am right now and prepared to answer any questions which may be asked.
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;55413 wrote:
Don't worry about that.

If there is an afterlife, I am prepared to go just as I am right now and prepared to answer any questions which may be asked.

Just don't punk out. If there's any truth to your beliefs, they'll sustain you to the end. If you punk, however, on your deathbed, you'll sell yourself out and go down as a fraud. As I said before, words are cheap.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:38 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;55650 wrote:
Just don't punk out. If there's any truth to your beliefs, they'll sustain you to the end. If you punk, however, on your deathbed, you'll sell yourself out and go down as a fraud. As I said before, words are cheap.

by the way, that "Darwin recanting on his deathbed" story is nothing but a myth started by his wife, although we later found out it was untrue.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:20 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;55660 wrote:
by the way, that "Darwin recanting on his deathbed" story is nothing but a myth started by his wife, although we later found out it was untrue.

Any guesses as to why she made this up?

Ah, bearing false witness Smile
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:21 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;55650 wrote:

Then should you be using any advancements brought about by science, and in particular, evolutionary biology? You know... things like modern medicine and a few other useless trinkets you'd never miss.

Words are cheap, Pino. If you don't support the team, don't wear the jersey.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:16 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;55770 wrote:
Then should you be using any advancements brought about by science, and in particular, evolutionary biology? You know... things like modern medicine and a few other useless trinkets you'd never miss.

Words are cheap, Pino. If you don't support the team, don't wear the jersey.

Learn to read. Look up Scholasticism. Test tomorrow. Get busy.:no:
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:57 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56210 wrote:
Learn to read. Look up Scholasticism. Test tomorrow. Get busy.:no:

So you firmly believe that science gets it right in the diversification and origins of life?