Pacific garbage patch

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:40 pm
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 19 An enormous island of trash twice the size of Texas is floating in the Pacific Ocean somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii.

Chris Parry with the California Coastal Commission in San Francisco said the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch, has been growing a brisk rate since the 1950s, The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday.

The trash stew is 80 percent plastic and weighs more than 3.5 million tons.

"At this point, cleaning it up isn't an option," Parry said. "It's just going to get bigger as our reliance on plastics continues."

Parry said using canvas bags to cart groceries instead of using plastic bags is a good first step to reducing reliance on plastics, the newspaper said.

Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific : Science Technology
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 8
No top replies

aaronssongs

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:22 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;42839 wrote:
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 19 An enormous island of trash twice the size of Texas is floating in the Pacific Ocean somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii.

Chris Parry with the California Coastal Commission in San Francisco said the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch, has been growing a brisk rate since the 1950s, The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday.

The trash stew is 80 percent plastic and weighs more than 3.5 million tons.

"At this point, cleaning it up isn't an option," Parry said. "It's just going to get bigger as our reliance on plastics continues."

Parry said using canvas bags to cart groceries instead of using plastic bags is a good first step to reducing reliance on plastics, the newspaper said.

Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific : Science Technology

How can the powers that be allow this to go unattended?
I swear, I've lost my faith in human beings.
Brian764

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:37 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;42859 wrote:
How can the powers that be allow this to go unattended?
I swear, I've lost my faith in human beings.

I'm way a head of you on that.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:17 pm
@Brian764,
So where are the pictures? Update: I just did some quick reading and it seems that there is more involved than just plastic sacks. it involves cargo containers that get lost at see and other trash not just plastic trash and people throwing stuff into the oceans.
Brian764

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;42935 wrote:
So where are the pictures? Update: I just did some quick reading and it seems that there is more involved than just plastic sacks. it involves cargo containers that get lost at see and other trash not just plastic trash and people throwing stuff into the oceans.

It would be interesting to see, but then again I don't think too many of us want to see something like this. Human beings are so selfish and carless, we are so willing to destroy our environment just for short term benefits....it's not in our nature as a whole to want to do things that's beneficial to nature. All the damage that we are doing to the environment and to each other will blow up in our face one day.

I for one am looking forward to the day when God will send His Son, Jesus to correct all the problems which man have created, under the influence of Satan, by taking over all rule and authority of human beings over the earth.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:06 pm
@Brian764,
Trashed: Across the Pacific Ocean, Plastics, Plastics, Everywhere CHARLES MOORE / Natural History v.112, n.9, Nov03

Best Life Magazine: Travel & Leisure: Our oceans are turning into plastic...are we?

Howstuffworks "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch"

blame cali?
Drakej

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:33 pm
@briansol,
Well with as fast as Cali is burning, i don't think we are gonna be able to blame them for much here pretty soon. I guess what surprises me the most is I have not heard about such a thing before. I would imagine this is a very very long time in the making. It was not something that has been created in the past 50 years.
Brian764

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:46 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;42974 wrote:
Well with as fast as Cali is burning, i don't think we are gonna be able to blame them for much here pretty soon. I guess what surprises me the most is I have not heard about such a thing before. I would imagine this is a very very long time in the making. It was not something that has been created in the past 50 years.

I heard about it on one of the internet radio that I was listing to, I then did a search and several sites popped up. But believe me if things continue the way it's going (I have no reason to believe it will not) it will become very hard to ignore. Things are going to get so bad in this world because of our hostile nature that our very continued existence will be threatened.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
@Brian764,
Oh there is no doubt about it, we will screw this world so hard that mother nature her self will lash back and wipe us away like we are nothing. And guess what, she will repair her self. But I am not going to pretend that this fact is going to keep me up at night. I will get in my car after class tonight and drive home, I will then throw this plastic bottle that I am drinking out of away in the trash. It makes me kinda sad but unless the whole world bands together then nothing is going to change. China, India, and the middle east along with Russia pollute just as much as we do if not more. Its a sad state of affairs but until we humans breed all of the self centered egotistical nature out of our selves there is really nothing we can do.
0 Replies